Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Different' ear piercing - recommendations?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I got my left tragus pierced a little while ago and love it, still not healed entirely but really love the look. Am thinking about getting something else done in my right ear, but something different to the tragus so I'm not too symmetrical. Not really keen on a regular cartilege piercing (my ears are a bit weird there... don't ask). Anyway, I found this great diagram and it got me thinking.EarDiagram.jpg

I like the look of either Forward Helix, Rook or Snug. Anyone have any advice or recommendations re each of these, if any is particularly more painful, or harder to heal, or rejects more easily, or anything? Just to help me decide :) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Whoa, didn't realise that image was gonna be so huge, sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I have my forward helix (didn't even know it was called that!) done for a few years now and love it.

It was one of the least sore piercings I ever had done. I like it because I don't see many other people with them.

Get it done with a ring tho, it looks much nicer!

Conch is a good one too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Conch to conch scaffold FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i think that industrial thing looks class.

Conch to conch scaffold

I don't really understand what this is?! Scaffold is the bar, right? And conch is deep down in the cavity of the ear, so how can a bar go from 'conch to conch'?

Thanks for the feedback so far, I think I may be with tread_softly on this one and go for the forward helix. I'm not a hardcore piercee, I have several piercings but they're all quite small and girly, close to unnoticeable, rather than 'industrial' (figuratively and literally!) So a little ring in the forward helix sounds good.

I like the stud too though - I've a stud in my tragus (which I didn't know was possible til I was in the piercing studio!) and also love it cos, though tragus piercings are more common these days, you don't see so many with studs. Good to know it won't hurt too much either ;) I was surprised by how little the tragus hurt - hardly at all - it's just a bit of a headache healing, keeps getting gudgy build-up and stuff. But I was warned to expect this, so not too bothered.

Thanks for helping my decision-making! :)

• Advertisement

I don't really understand what this is?! Scaffold is the bar, right? And conch is deep down in the cavity of the ear, so how can a bar go from 'conch to conch'?

Thanks for the feedback so far, I think I may be with tread_softly on this one and go for the forward helix. I'm not a hardcore piercee, I have several piercings but they're all quite small and girly, close to unnoticeable, rather than 'industrial' (figuratively and literally!) So a little ring in the forward helix sounds good.

I like the stud too though - I've a stud in my tragus (which I didn't know was possible til I was in the piercing studio!) and also love it cos, though tragus piercings are more common these days, you don't see so many with studs. Good to know it won't hurt too much either ;) I was surprised by how little the tragus hurt - hardly at all - it's just a bit of a headache healing, keeps getting gudgy build-up and stuff. But I was warned to expect this, so not too bothered.

Thanks for helping my decision-making! :)

like this

Ooh I see what you mean, that's pretty cool actually, I like that it's quite a slim little bar... I also like that 'rook' yer man has (or is that you?) with the studs...

Lots of food for thought here, lads, thanks :)

it was me. Ear's are great so many possible piercings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

like this

I have heard that refered to as a 'pixie' (I take it you mean the bar in at the back rather than the curved scaffold?)

I got that done four or 5 years ago, and I can honestly say it was the most painful piercing that I ever got. It looked fupping awesome though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

i have a forward helix done, was the quickest healing ear piercing, including my lobes and didnt hurt a bit getting it done.

as far as i remember it swelled up a bit for a few days a week or two after i got it done (i.e. when i got sick of babying it!) but that was my own fault.
    i got the barbell rather than a ring cause im not a big fan of rings but i think its much of a muchness really!

im looking at getting an anti tragus next, i think they look nice but some people dont have enough cartilage there for one or its not big enough, but if you can you should get it cause they're rare enough i think! loads of people have the forward helix done nowadays! but no matter where you get pierced someone else will have it done so just get what you like!

or a snug! thats another one i want! :D

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    I have heard that refered to as a 'pixie' (I take it you mean the bar in at the back rather than the curved scaffold?)

I got that done four or 5 years ago, and I can honestly say it was the most painful piercing that I ever got. It looked fupping awesome though.
    I just called it a conch to conch, I fupping hate all these "trendy" names kids come up with * goes back to rocking chair*

CK2010 wrote: »
    i have a forward helix done, was the quickest healing ear piercing, including my lobes and didnt hurt a bit getting it done.

as far as i remember it swelled up a bit for a few days a week or two after i got it done (i.e. when i got sick of babying it!) but that was my own fault.
    i got the barbell rather than a ring cause im not a big fan of rings but i think its much of a muchness really!

im looking at getting an anti tragus next, i think they look nice but some people dont have enough cartilage there for one or its not big enough, but if you can you should get it cause they're rare enough i think! loads of people have the forward helix done nowadays! but no matter where you get pierced someone else will have it done so just get what you like!

or a snug! thats another one i want! :D
    Hurts like a mofo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

no pain no gain!

I got that done four or 5 years ago, and I can honestly say it was the most painful piercing that I ever got.

Ok so I gotta admit that puts me off a little bit... I agree with no pain no gain if there's no alternative (have had some pretty effing painful tattoos) but since I'm not decided on where to get my ear done, if there's a choice between forward helix (not very painful at all) vs pixie/conch-to-conch (very bloody painful indeed) I think I know which one I'd prefer ;)
    CK2010 wrote: »

Thanks for the positive forward helix story, I think I may go for this one. It's not that I expect to be completely unique, it's only an ear piercing ;) I just like it being something slightly less usual - as i said, I'm not a huge piercee, more a discrete fan, and have no illusions of being anything 'special' with my piercings! Anti tragus looks cool but having had a look at my ear in the mirror, I don't think it'd work on me, it's too close to my regular lobe studs / not enough flesh or cartilage.

So yes, I am both a pussy about pain and not bold enough to go for stand-out piercings! I'm gonna get hounded out of this forum soon, I'm sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Would a forward helix be annoyed in anyway by wearing glasses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

elaborate industrial, something real technical for the piercer to get their teeth into :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Would a forward helix be annoyed in anyway by wearing glasses?

I wear glasses a good bit now and they don't hit off the piercing at all!

When you get your piercing done Camilla, throw up a pic for us to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

Most definatly get a forward helix or snug done. They are my favorites in ears. Dont actually have them done myself, but they're on my wishlist. =].

And can I ask what a anti-tragus is?. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Most definatly get a forward helix or snug done. They are my favorites in ears. Dont actually have them done myself, but they're on my wishlist. =].

And can I ask what a anti-tragus is?. :S

See the piece of cartilage that the ball on the ring of the tragus piercing is sitting next to on the first image?

That's the anti-tragus.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Earrings.jpg

Marked '8'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭earcandi

I've had my tragus done twice and love it, got a little bar rather than ring the second time round. I want snug done next, although wasn't aware it was called that until I came on here. Industrial piercings are class too, I just couldn't carry it off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

See the piece of cartilage that the ball on the ring of the tragus piercing is sitting next to on the first image?

That's the anti-tragus.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Earrings.jpg

Marked '8'

Thanks oeb, that is now also on my wishlist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Hurts like a mofo!

I didnt find it too bad tbh, has been a bitch to heal though, ive had a major problem with lumps.

I got a forward helix around 2 years ago and i love it. Its a really cute little piercing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

you could always try Vert Tragus.... i used to have those.. low enough and forward enough that it wont affect your glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Get a snug piercing, for me I barely felt any pain. Its still healing (got it about 6 weeks ago) but I've had no problems with it. Have my conch done too, it was the most painful piercing I've gotten done :P but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I have a scaffold going through my tragus and out my conch. The tragus was shocking, I could hear the needle crunch through the cartilage (and feel it obviously). I remember the piercer telling me that the conch was gonna be really bad but i was too focused on the tragus that i didnt even feel him getting the bar through my conch. But if you want something enough then pain won't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fearata

I have a a forward helix, scaffold, conch, tragus, and snug among others. Easiet to heal was the helix, have it done a long time but I dont recall much pain. Currently in the process of healing my snug....it's a bitch.

My favourite piercing was my anti-tragus, which I lost a few years ago, it's one I'm planning to get redone.

I also have an orbital... those are soemthing different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

orbitalz.jpg
    Like this?

I've wanted an orbital for a while, but instead of a ring I'd get a U bar, or whatever they're called. The ones that are used in surface piercings. Are they a bitch to heal though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 087sativa

i dont have it done so i cant really comment,but i got an industrial done and
    (inb4 rage and judging) never even cleaned it.fainted while gettin it done,but no pain afterwards,took from june to halloween before i tried to take it out,no bother,and its f*cking perfect! i forget its there sometimes!

obviously you could'nt practically take that orbital out unless it was a bent scaffolding,but you seem to know your stuff so just my 0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

you could always try Vert Tragus.... i used to have those.. low enough and forward enough that it wont affect your glasses

I think most piercers would not do a vertical tragus coz most times theres not enough room there for it to last or do you mean a surface piercing in front of the tragus? If you want something to go with your tragus, I think a conch done in line with it looks quite good or a forward helix matches up nicely with it like others have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

087sativa wrote: »
    i dont have it done so i cant really comment,but i got an industrial done and
    (inb4 rage and judging) never even cleaned it.fainted while gettin it done,but no pain afterwards,took from june to halloween before i tried to take it out,no bother,and its f*cking perfect! i forget its there sometimes!

obviously you could'nt practically take that orbital out unless it was a bent scaffolding,but you seem to know your stuff so just my 0.02

hmm, I never thought about how it would come out before. But with a bit of fiddling and careful manoeuvring it should come out.

Advertisement