Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako quads and DOJ

Options
  • 04-03-2010 1:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Does any one know what the DOJ said in relation to these firearms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Last I heard and it was a while ago it was seperate licences for each barrel :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

But does anyone have anything concrete on this or are folk just holding back for fear's sake..
    I think not.... (now they'll be along shortly!!)

Took a direct hit last night a got scuttled rightly for telling it as a thought it could be!

But after some searching i found that as far a caliber goes all .17's are 17cal and all .22 are 22cal. In theory a 220 is not the same as a 22lr
    But a 17 fireball is the same call as a 17 hmr..:rolleyes:

Very interesting- this firearm business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Because calibre is not the same as chambering, and the law-makers are having a hard time reconciling that with their world view. And it's just a lack of information. For them to realise this will require a massive education policy for them, which isn't going to be popular. They won't want to invest the time and money in it and shooters will get cranky as the powers that be now realise that when they went in to trade their .22LR for a .204 Ruger that they weren't in fact downsizing after all and they'll end up with more work to do. Personally, I'm all for the policy of re-education. The more information they have, the better off we'll all be, and we'll avoid situations where a .30-378 Weatherby is unrestricted, while a .338 Federal is restricted and other nonsensical instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I think each barrrel of a different calibre requires a seperate licence, but you are allowed to buy spare barrels of the same caliber without an additional licence. Maybe this could allow the purchase of a .22WMR barrel for your .22lr, if your licence is for .22 as mine is. A gun dealer might clarify this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Personally I'd get onto the Firearms Policy Unit, via any NGB I could claim membership of. I wouldn't trust the word of a gun dealer, who wouldn't have access to the same information and in any case would have plausible deniability to fob you off with it given the calibre/chambering/lack of clarity on licences issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I am in the process of have my old .220swift reworked into a modular system wereby i still get to keep the original caliber active and will have a .260 Rem barrel aswell.

I have had to apply for a second licence for the new caliber.

I also know a chap who has a Sauer 202 with a barrel in .308 and another in.243, each had to be seperately licenced.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Personally I'd get onto the Firearms Policy Unit, via any NGB I could claim membership of. I wouldn't trust the word of a gun dealer, who wouldn't have access to the same information and in any case would have plausible deniability to fob you off with it given the calibre/chambering/lack of clarity on licences issue.

what the fpu says seems to cut little ice with any of the supers or chief supers in typical irish fashion , i had a quiery about a firearms application for a .22 revolver and rang the fpu to ask their advice , the advice was logical but was completely ignored by the suprintendent and the application passed on needlessly to the chief super, its a .22 target revolver and its now being processed as a restricted firearm , the word of the fpu means absolutely nothing to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

I have a Quad with .22lr and .22 wmr barrels. I have been told by firearms officer that An Garda Siochana accept that cert for rifle with .22 lr barrel covers .22wmr spare barrel. i know that there has been debate on boards as to whether .22lr and .22wmr are the same caliber, but the fact of the matter is that the Gardai and obviously the doj count the two calibers as the same. The only problem that i have encountered is that the Gardai cant include a second serial number on a firearms licence for the spare barrel. i have been told by firearms officer that if i get serial number changed on spare barrel to match original i will be sorted ;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I have a Quad with .22lr and .22 wmr barrels. I have been told by firearms officer that An Garda Siochana accept that cert for rifle with .22 lr barrel covers .22wmr spare barrel. i know that there has been debate on boards as to whether .22lr and .22wmr are the same caliber, but the fact of the matter is that the Gardai and obviously the doj count the two calibers as the same. The only problem that i have encountered is that the Gardai cant include a second serial number on a firearms licence for the spare barrel. i have been told by firearms officer that if i get serial number changed on spare barrel to match original i will be sorted ;);)

Seems like a sound solution! And i'd be very willing to do that...

I just like to note that such a system is good for all - both the licencee and the licencer. It show a willingness to meet sportsmen and women in the middle ground and it should be embraced and we should accept it as the norm!! and if it doesn't last, well then we'll have to fight for it...
    Its also has the added advantage of reducing over all firearm numbers.. But this won't be noticeable for a good while but its one of the request that Europe has made AFAIK.

If this sensible licencing attitude is here to stay it will mark the dawn of new age for rimfire in this country.. I say rimfire because it really this system is only applicable with rimfire..
    Now if they'd only bring reloading to the table then IMO 99% of all shooters would be walking around singing:D

Advertisement