Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie needs info on rc plane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

the postage from america is massive.you would be better getting the hobbyzone super cub lp off squadron leader.two days to arrive at my door and the plane has anti crash technology.check them out on youtube;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 itsVTC

thanks,ill check it out

they want $140 for it delivered so its not 2 bad.€100 to the door

what would it cost from an irish/english retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

• Registered Users Posts: 31 itsVTC

amaughan wrote: »
    the postage from america is massive.you would be better getting the hobbyzone super cub lp off squadron leader.two days to arrive at my door and the plane has anti crash technology.check them out on youtube;)

theyre looking for £133 + p&p

thats €166 delivered:(

are they worth the extra €€€€?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

itsVTC wrote: »
    would this be suitable for a red raw beginner?

http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html

It would be suitable for a beginner, but a complete beginner should still get help flying any proper radio control aircraft which that seems to be. I usually recommend the parkzone radian which is a bit dearer than that one. We have a radian and its great, But that one looks good at that price. Im not sure if its brushless motor or if the brushless is an upgrade extra, but brushless is definitely the way to go.

Squadron leader mentioned above is a good site. Thats where we got 2 radian gliders from, i got one for son and neighbour got one. €166 is not a lot in radio controlled aircraft terms. When i started, the very first plane with radio and engine was 400 irish pounds to get flying, in 1988-89
    Im flying it in this video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mr.jailbait

i was looking at the radian aswell,but i thought that the motor being mounted on top of the fuselage as opposed to in front of it would help keep crash damage down while im learning?

i was looking at the radian aswell,but i thought that the motor being mounted on top of the fuselage as opposed to in front of it would help keep crash damage down while im learning?

Well that could be said alright, but if you learn with someone experienced you should`t have too many problems, my son learned with our one (radian), its actually his, my neighbours son then got one, they both learned with them no problem. The motor will always be off for landing as they are gliders and spend most of their flying time gliding, landings are slow and once your in a good open area its not too difficult after the initial learning. Where are you living? o Cork i see in your heading there. Another fella was asking the same question and he did get the radian so you could ask him what he thinks, he seems to be getting on well with it. I met him for his first flight of it after he had a problem with the battery so he could use my one to test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm the fella who Robbie mentioned above who bought the radian. It's a big glider with a two metre wingspan and it can fly very high and once at altitude, you turn off the motor and it glides for a long time. While I'm still learning on it , I've managed to do figure of eights, loops and land it very smoothly. It has a slow landing speed so it's easy to land. Another good point is that the propellor folds back when the motor us off so there's little chance of damaging the prop if you nose it into the ground.

I'd recommend the radian for a fellow noob as it's a great plane to learn on

I'm the fella who Robbie mentioned above who bought the radian. It's a big glider with a two metre wingspan and it can fly very high and once at altitude, you turn off the motor and it glides for a long time. While I'm still learning on it , I've managed to do figure of eights, loops and land it very smoothly. It has a slow landing speed so it's easy to land. Another good point is that the propellor folds back when the motor us off so there's little chance of damaging the prop if you nose it into the ground.

I'd recommend the radian for a fellow noob as it's a great plane to learn on

You should try a flycamone v2 on it dave, for the aerial photos, and video. there is a v3 one out now as well, but the v2 is nice and simple,

I was hoping to get some flight time in over Easter but the weather is supposed to be sh1te.

I'll definitely get the camera for my radian when I learn to fly it as smoothly as you. Otherwise my videos would be very jerky and would induce motion sickness :)

• Advertisement

I was hoping to get some flight time in over Easter but the weather is supposed to be sh1te.

I'll definitely get the camera for my radian when I learn to fly it as smoothly as you. Otherwise my videos would be very jerky and would induce motion sickness :)

I put an osd (on sceen display) onto the radian today, and live video link down to glasses, it was great, gives you navigation on screen so you know the way back to where you are on the ground.
    Got a new battery for the t-rex 600 as well, one cell was at 2.3volts and other 5 at the proper storage voltage of 3.8. Got it balanced up grand by just charging the single low cell in the pack on its own and then charge the whole pack as normal, working fine now, but then snapped motor shaft in the trex 600 mid flight, so new motor required. Thats Radio Control stuff for ye.

How do the glasses work?

Is the image projected into the glasses so you see the picture from the plane or is it through one lens only? I find that when I'm flying my radian, people tend to come over to me to ask questions about the plane (even though I'd rather they didn't as I'm trying to concentrate on not crashing!) and I get concious of keeping the plane up and away from people so no one gets hit on the head. If I was wearing the flight glasses, I wouldn't see them orhave I got it wrong?

Haven't had anyone complaining that my flying such a large plane is hazardous to people on the ground yet but I suppose it's just a matter if time until I meet "a concerned citizen":)

How do the glasses work?

Is the image projected into the glasses so you see the picture from the plane or is it through one lens only? I find that when I'm flying my radian, people tend to come over to me to ask questions about the plane (even though I'd rather they didn't as I'm trying to concentrate on not crashing!) and I get concious of keeping the plane up and away from people so no one gets hit on the head. If I was wearing the flight glasses, I wouldn't see them orhave I got it wrong?

Haven't had anyone complaining that my flying such a large plane is hazardous to people on the ground yet but I suppose it's just a matter if time until I meet "a concerned citizen":)

The glasses have an lcd screen, its a decent enough image, if you have a coat with a hood and put hood up it stops daylight glare getting in and is a good view then. It takes a bit of getting used to when flying without actually seeing the plane, and is a lot easier with the osd navigation on the plane so you have an arrow telling you which way is home and how far, we have flown it in familiar areas but ye have no idea where your going with a view from 1000 feet etc. At my own place we are familiar enough with aerial view of the place, but with the osd we dont need to know at all. Usually would have a spotter as well, who can take over if we lose video and he sill has a visual of the glider direct. Usually the son does that, or i do the spotter thing when he`s flying. We sometimes use a tv as well, we even used the tv in living room with spotter outside, with 2 radios linked with a long lead i made up, and fly while sitting on couch.

People coming asking questions always happens, i dont mind it really, i dont find it too distracting but it would be for someone starting off themselves. Last summer i had a fella asking about the radian while i flying it, it was in a thermal and i was distracted enough not to notice its quite rapid climb, it was going up almost like the motor was on. Full half hour without putting motor on once. If you gat them to thermal its amazing looking. On a very hot summer day i glide it along a line of houses and it will thermal on the heat off the roof tiles, I had 20 minutes flying at about 50 to 100 feet without motor a few times just up and down along houses.

I dont think the radian is to much of a hazzard, once you dont put on the motor if it was landing close to anyone. I catch it a lot on landing as well, come in for landing and judge it to be able to catch it, it doest always work out but usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

A friend of mine has setup something similar also with glasses. He also has a GPS unit on it with a 'return to home' switch on his radio. If he gets lost in midair, he can flick a switch and it will return home-where he first switch on model and cirlce above his head. He also has a a tilt and pan unit on the camera which he controls from his own radio too. All pretty cool, he flys with glasses and we watch on a mini screen display - thats shows height,speed,direction.

syl77 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has setup something similar also with glasses. He also has a GPS unit on it with a 'return to home' switch on his radio. If he gets lost in midair, he can flick a switch and it will return home-where he first switch on model and cirlce above his head. He also has a a tilt and pan unit on the camera which he controls from his own radio too. All pretty cool, he flys with glasses and we watch on a mini screen display - thats shows height,speed,direction.

Yes its a remzibi osd we have, there is an autopilot that can be got for it
    which will bring the plane home, we just have the visual display on it at the moment, it gives altitude, distance to home, arrow showing direction to home, rate of climb or sink, gps co-ords battery voltages and other stuff. Very handy. The altitude can be a few meters off as its gps based but is good enough. It makes keeping it over us very easy through glasses.

What's the max range of the radian Robbie? I usually keep my plane within two hundred metres of where I'm standing as I get worried about it getting out of range and then I have to pursue it on foot!

What's the max altitude you have flown it to? I had mine up about two hundred metres one day but I'm sure it's capable of a lot higher judging by your you tube videos.

What's the max range of the radian Robbie? I usually keep my plane within two hundred metres of where I'm standing as I get worried about it getting out of range and then I have to pursue it on foot!

What's the max altitude you have flown it to? I had mine up about two hundred metres one day but I'm sure it's capable of a lot higher judging by your you tube videos.

The range is hard to say exactly, but i have had it over 500 meters away anyway, thats a confirmed distance, and i`d say it has been further out.
    Max altitude we have flown to im not sure, max confirmed is 400 meters, but it certainly has been higher. I seen tests on youtube where a fella tested a spektrum radio with 2 receivers, one a full range one and the other a park flyer one, he got 2.4 miles before losing the lock, on both receivers.
    We have actually lost the link to the glider before, but just move the radio so the aerial is not pointing straight at it and it got it back. It was a long way out, but i dont know how far. Pointing the transmitter aerial straigh at the glider will shorten range a bit, but you can go a fair bit beyond the 200 meters, its certainly should be good to 800 meters. There is a dragon link radio setup and you can go out 10km`s plus.

Advertisement