Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Will Bad Company beat out MW2?

• 04-03-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I completely missed the beta demo of Bad Company and admit to having to play catch up trying to follow all the hype that's surrounding this game. I've just spent the last hour reading through the many reviews that have already come out. Every single one of them is full of praise and talk about how this is the perfect multiplayer title. But can it beat Modern Warfare 2, the highest grossing title of all time, at its own game?

It looks as if EA have planned their strategy perfectly or at least have put themselves in the best possible position to steals Activisions crown. I've spoken to a lot of players who've been playing MW2 almost religiously since release but are starting to bore of prestiging over and over. Some players, like myself, haven't even bothered to take the plunge all the way back to Level 1 as my experience of it in CoD 4 was that it just seemed too much like the infamous grinding of RPGs than fun. Is it really worth investing 2 complete days of gaming just to be able to use an RPG only to have to do it all over again by prestiging?

A lot of people have got as much out of Modern Warfare as they are ever going to and are ready to try something new. Had BC2 been released earlier then I'd imagine that it would have flown over the heads of the majority of the gaming community as people would have been too busy still unlocking goodies in MW2.

The critics seem to think that they have topped them as far as quality is concerned, but can EA manage to put one over Activisions marketing department? They have waited long enough to pounce but I just hope that they don't fall at the final hurdle by failing to support the game through high quality and great value DLC as well as acting quickly to iron out any bugs that may emerge.

What do users here think? Will you remain loyal to the CoD franchise or cant you wait to jump ship and hop into bed with EA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

Personally i didn't enjoy the demo, so i can't see myself buying the full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

demo was class, i will be buying it... i hope it really kicks off.... id like to see MW2 being taken down a peg or two ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

No, simple as that. MW2 is just too big and too well known.

Halo Reach is the only one on 360 that has a chance, but overall I say only MW3 will be able to make a dent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It may be a better game, which wouldn't be that hard, but it won't sell nearly as close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

BC2 Multiplayer is certanly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Played the demo and it was better than MW2 by far. Vehicles etc.

However it did feel very similar to playing Battlefield 2 on pc a few years ago. No bad thing though - I loved that.
    Might trade in my MW2 for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I hope it will do great and knock a massive share off MW2, after the recent events at Activision they clearly need to be brought back down a peg or two.
    Ofcourse as this is EA, I then hope Activision will come back with another gem or perhaps another publisher/developer can take over.

Basically I'm trying to say the more competition on the market means the better games for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Its probably a better multiplayer game, but it wont sell near as many units as MW2.

MW2 is just too big.

And I think the last thing the veteran Battlefield players want to see is all the MW2 players coming over and playing Battlefield, they hate them. They reckon they can't play a team oriented game like this at all, and end up ruining it if you get a load of them on your team. Not my opinion, but they probably have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

For those people who enjoy teamplay, excellent map design, no spawn camping and a semi-realistic battlefield experience, then BC2 should offer all of these things in comparison to MW2. Whatever about EA, I have full confidence in DICE as a developer who understands and listens to their MP community.

I spent more time on the BC2 demo than a lot of full-priced games and traded MW2 a few weeks ago as I knew BC2 was coming soon.

In MW2, unless you have the reflexes of a cat and all of the add-ons, you can get pawned. In BC2, you can be an average-enough player without superfast reflexes, but jump in a tank to even up the odds against a serious opponent. The rock-paper-scissors approach is plain to see in BC2. The fact you can't see you K/D ratio on the score screen is significant.

I hope that MW2 does retain its main player base i.e. the prestige addicts and the kiddies. Those interested in a more tactical approach might just migrate to BC2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CKWPORT wrote: »
    And I think the last thing the veteran Battlefield players want to see is all the MW2 players coming over and playing Battlefield, they hate them. They reckon they can't play a team oriented game like this at all, and end up ruining it if you get a load of them on your team. Not my opinion, but they probably have a point.

I'm not so sure. I went to MAG, which requires even more team-work, planning and communication that Battlefield, after three or four years of solid Modern Warfare/Halo play. Yes there was a pretty big adjustment and a big learning curve - the biggest was the lack of auto-aim - the levels of which are unreal on MW2. However, the same people that have been playing free for alls like MW2, Killzone and Resistance are now working as some pretty impressive teams on MAG.

People will either quickly adapt to the game or get fed up and go back to MW2.

• Advertisement

People will either quickly adapt to the game or get fed up and go back to MW2.

No dispute there, you are probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I do not think it will beat MW2 in trems of sales but it might last longer in terms of playes hours.
    MW2 had huge hype every one said it was gona be the best game ever and when came out lots of people were so disapointed with it. I got it a week after it came out and ive managed to get to rank 25 im just not drawn to it at all. Another mate of mine got to 15 and now when he comes on line all he ever says is lets play 1943 a 12 yoyo game that is just way better than MW2 for multiplayer.

I think cod games look better, have better graphic feel and run smoother. But the BF engine is far better in terms of what it can do for game play, destruction and such. As a result COD looks better in screen shots or even game play vids and just makes it easier to sell.

When I play BF1943 or BC1 in party with my mates we laugh, we laugh a lot every round has some really funny sh2t happening, weird deaths, funny vech explodes or just good team work moments, thanks to the squad system.
    In COD all we ever do is moan about getting killed by legal aim bots ( The 7 kill streek aim bots ) and complain about the cheaters, its just no fun and puts us in a foul mood. So despite all that I still think MW2 will beat BC but not my much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The 7 kill streek aim bots

Might be a bit of a newbie question, but what exactly is "the 7 kill streek aim bots"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Trilla wrote: »
    Might be a bit of a newbie question, but what exactly is "the 7 kill streek aim bots"?
    I assume its directed at the chopper, harriers, etc.

I alway had a love hate relationship with the kill streaks in CoD, once you are on a good team that takes them out its not an issue. But if you're stuck on a shíte team who arn't even sure what direction to point their gun at they are the most annoying things ever.
    Atleast in games like BF, you have a lot more options to avoid them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

iam downloading the demo as we speak i liked the 1st bad company but i felt it lacked some thing graphics where weak in places missing trees houses ect
    so iam hoping it better.

i play cod a lot just reached 70 last night not going to prestige well not yet any way i worked dam hard to get to this level why would i do it all again just to a different symbol beside my name **** that.

"But if you're stuck on a shíte team who arn't even sure what direction to point their gun at they are the most annoying things ever. "
    this is very annoying why people dont take these choppers harriers out as soon as they appear is beyound me they make ****e of ya if you get in there way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

naughto wrote: »
    iam downloading the demo as we speak i liked the 1st bad company but i felt it lacked some thing graphics where weak in places missing trees houses ect
    so iam hoping it better.

i play cod a lot just reached 70 last night not going to prestige well not yet any way i worked dam hard to get to this level why would i do it all again just to a different symbol beside my name **** that.

"But if you're stuck on a shíte team who arn't even sure what direction to point their gun at they are the most annoying things ever. "
    this is very annoying why people dont take these choppers harriers out as soon as they appear is beyound me they make ****e of ya if you get in there way.

no point in downloading the demo you wont be able to play it, the servers were taken down a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

i can't wait to get this. Loved the first BC, was a great foil to the first MW game, story was just really entertaining and the MP was brilliant.
    I missed the demo but think the new MP options look good, squad rush sounds brilliant.
    Just hope they do, at some point, develope new maps for DLC. Even these big maps will need a change every now and again.
    And as much as I hate the EA machine, i am kinda hoping they give Activision a good run with this. nothing like some healthy rivalry to keep the developers on their toes.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ill jump ship into bed with BFBC2 and keep a copy of MW2 in my back pocket.. so if im ever feeling really durty... :rolleyes:

Honestly though I don't think its going to beat MW2 overall.. but to me t he demo has already :)

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Well the MP games won't be as prone to rubbish class mods.... i just got so sick of that in MW2. Back to the good old days, a man and his weapon. Keep it simple.

And the dedicated servers too. They're doing what any good oppostion party would do. See what the main party does then fix all their mistakes in your idea. Great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

When I play BF1943 or BC1 in party with my mates we laugh, we laugh a lot every round has some really funny sh2t happening, weird deaths, funny vech explodes or just good team work moments, thanks to the squad system.
    In COD all we ever do is moan about getting killed by legal aim bots ( The 7 kill streek aim bots ) and complain about the cheaters, its just no fun and puts us in a foul mood. So despite all that I still think MW2 will beat BC but not my much.

I'll echo that, found Battlefield 1942 fun, even when I died, MW2 just plain annoying at times. I don't mind getting killed but it's the manner of how it happens at time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I dont think I'll enjoy bad company to be honest , played the demo and the controls felt wrong, really sluggish slow and unresponsive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thats because most people are used to the MW arcade type movement. BC2 is more like Killzone which alot of people don't like because of the heavy controls.

The way to look at it is, its not just you with the slow movement, every body is working with the same game mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

Just glanced at a magazine review of BC2:
    Comparatively, MW2 is an illusionist; the old man hiding behind the curtain and pulling levers, pretending to be a wizard.

Pretty bold statement.

BC1 was part of a rake of games I bought second hand over the holidays when my Xbox was brand new. Haven't played much of it yet, but liked what I've seen.

As first-person shooters in general always seem too short for my liking, I'm waiting until I hear about the online play. If that's not up to scratch, I may not bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well done EA. You're complete inability to launch a game without servers going haywire will prove to be this games downfall. Yes, the dedicated community will stick with it but you could argue that launch weekend was their window of opportunity to convert a lot of people over from MW2 but instead they're stuck with a lacklustre single-player campaign and will think the multiplayer experience is that same.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

mw2 is miles better then bf2. Have them both. No competition.

So thats why I couldn't get into BF1943! BC2 brought the servers down again....you think they would have learnt after the 1943 launch...

Its not so bad for me, my preorder is late, so looks like I wont have that much catching up to do online after all...

Advertisement