Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Tattoos

Options
  • 04-03-2010 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Right so, not to be gettin soppy or owt...but a close mate of mine died nearly 2 years ago....i have been meaning pretty much since her funeral to get a tattoo as a sort of..i dunno..memoir of her or something...i cant think what the hell i want tho...she was a bit mad in the head...loved horses (hers was named star) loved cats and loved queens of the stone age and incubus....

any suggestions of any kind?

anytime i sit down to try and think bout it or sketch sumting my mind just goes blank

im a small discreet tattoo kinda girl and generally just like black

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

pippington wrote: »
    Right so, not to be gettin soppy or owt...but a close mate of mine died nearly 2 years ago....i have been meaning pretty much since her funeral to get a tattoo as a sort of..i dunno..memoir of her or something...i cant think what the hell i want tho...she was a bit mad in the head...loved horses (hers was named star) loved cats and loved queens of the stone age and incubus....

anytime i sit down to try and think bout it or sketch sumting my mind just goes blank

For something as personal as that,it should be just that imho.Only thing i can think of right off is,you say she liked QotSA and Incubus.Perhaps you know of a favourite song from either?You could maybe get some lyrics tastefully etched?(QotSA have a song called"This Lullaby" Nice lyrics,maybe you could take something from it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

How about the qotsa Q with a star inside it. Or the Q on a background of stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Pegasus_%28PSF%29.png

Always thought Pegasus was cool. When I go I want a winged horse to take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

I second what JohnnyCrash was saying tbh, it will need to be something that is personal to you and your friend.

I was looking through the Incubus/QOTSA album art etc online earlier and the only thing that struck me would be the likes of the Incubus Light Grenades cover?

I thought you could possibly chop off the top/pin on it (I'm assuming you wouldn't be mad keen to have a grenade on your back?) and just keep the circlular part with the heart/eye/symbols as a subtle nod to Incubus and your friend's other interests. You could even change some of the symbols on it it to represent your friend and her personality?

Just my 2 cents and tbh I'll be the first to admit I am NOT creative but I really hope you do find a design that you love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just an idea but if you got two horses running next to each other, they don't have to be big and then a star and your friends first name or initials on one of the horses and your name or initials on the other horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Keep it nice and easy... a memory banner with her name or try looking up tattoos on line at tattoofinder.com lots off ideas their.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

jenga-jen wrote: »
    I second what JohnnyCrash was saying tbh, it will need to be something that is personal to you and your friend.

I was looking through the Incubus/QOTSA album art etc online earlier and the only thing that struck me would be the likes of the Incubus Light Grenades cover?

Not trying to rubbish your idea or anything but isn't the above a direct contradiction?

(Something Personal Vs Symbol of multi platinum rock band)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

...loved horses (hers was named star)...

What about a tattoo of a horses head/head and neck, with a black beauty style mark on it's head, shaped roughly like a star?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

hmmm....this could be interesting....i was also recently thinkin about a star in black with a cat in it using negative space if u get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

TBH, I don't think it really matters what subject matter you pick for your tattoo, the image itself doesn't have to be particularly unique or specific to your friend. You've got plenty of subject matter there, depending on what sort of images you like as tattoos - it could be something as a little black star, or a simple silhouette of a cat or a horse, or one word picked out of a song, it doesn't really matter.

Once you choose whatever it is, and you associate it with your friend, and you go through the painful catharsis of getting it inked on your body, it will take on significant meaning and you will always have that as a tribute to your friend. It doesn't need to scream "This is my tribute to my dead friend!!!!" to all and sundry, it can be something that only you know has meaning - for me, I would prefer it to be something very simple that I have layered with my own meaning, and can reveal that (or not) depending on circumstance.

I have a tiny spiral on my ankle - it's literally just a black spiral - but this means something significant to me. No need for anyone else to know what it is, unless I choose to tell them.

Don't over analyse what image will best represent your friend - pick an image associated with her which you like, and then invest it with meaning. I think, given that you're a "small discreet tattoo kinda girl", this allows you the most scope to have both a tattoo that you like and something to remember your friend by - you sure as hell don't want to end up disliking a 'memorial' tattoo cos you picked an image you wouldn't go for usually solely to biopic her!

Nice thought, btw. Would be very interested to see whatever you choose.

• Advertisement

hmmm this is true..thanks Camilla...the attachment is one that ive seen recently and really like the idea of...i think perhaps i wudnt use a butterfly but the general idea is good

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Really like the star with a 'negative space' image inside it - lots of scope there as well to pick another image. Keep in mind, if you're planning for it to be relatively small, that the detail in that butterly may not work at small sizes - a simpler silhouette of something may be easier to work with.

i was thinkin of a cat inside the star which wudnt be very detailed...then i could have it fairly smallish..kinda thinkin i might put it on my inner ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

How about just the date she died, with a small, tastefully done background, maybe a single small black rose or star or something.
    I wouldent go for the band idea, they were her thing, not what bonded you as friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Djdaforce wrote: »
    Not trying to rubbish your idea or anything but isn't the above a direct contradiction?

(Something Personal Vs Symbol of multi platinum rock band)
    Reading the op you'll see that pippington explains that the friend in question was really into Incubus as part of the background info/ideas for possible content.

You'll also note that I've said that the idea is only my two cents and yes, while ultimately I DO believe it should be something personal, pippington has come in asking for help/ideas. Hence my reply :p

Pippington that idea of the cat and star sounds lovely and I'm sure would look great on your ankle! Good luck with it :)

Hehe thanks Jen..and thanks to everyone..ye have been more than helpful..i think im decided on what i want...now just to save the monies for it! :D

Advertisement