Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lebron - The Time To Come!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Miami
    Depends how you define best players ever. If you're going by stats then it's probably Wilt, if you're going by numbers over a really long career at the highest level, it's probably Kareem.
    It's got to be Jordan for championships, the way he won them, how (later in his career) he helped his team mates get better, all those ice cold clutch plays.

Personally I think LeBron has to win maybe 3 championships and keep his stats close to what they have been over the last few years before people will genuinely compare him to Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

padraig_f wrote: »
    . The reason this thread exists is that Lebron, after 7 years, has failed to win a championship with his current team.

No the reason this thread exists is because it's for discussion of where Lebron should go and what will become of his future. Of course anything Lebron related will get flung here and that's fine. Jordan won in his 7th season so everyone had been comparing Lebron with that and it is seen as a failure he hasn't won...yet.
    I actually think it's an immense amount of pressure on him no matter how great he is and I hope it doesn't weigh on his shoulders too much.
    lafortezza wrote: »
    Personally I think LeBron has to win maybe 3 championships and keep his stats close to what they have been over the last few years before people will genuinely compare him to Jordan.
    You're probably right but as I heard him say in an interview post playoff game 5 v Celts he's not worried about his legacy, that's for other people to determine after his career is over.

The fact is he is the most wanted free agent especially at such a young age in the HISTORY of the NBA. Every single team would sign him if they could. I've read so many articles and heard so much speculation regarding his move it's really quite exciting. However there's a good chance he'll just stay with Cavs which would be a bit anti-climatic. I will root for him wherever he goes (bar Lakers). It's mad that Obama and the mayor of New York have been canvassing for him to their teams and all!

Another one here
    You'd imagine Lebron will stay in Cleveland, they ADORE him there, he couldn't really ask them to do anymore for him and I'm sure anything he asks for they'll do. That said he's got a team of people around him and who knows what other factors are being thrown about.

I think he'll stay, I mean at the end of the day he'd been having a great time in Cleveland...always joking and dancing with team-mates, leader of his team, won 2 back-to-back MVP awards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Miami
    The thing is though that the Cavs can't really add much more to their team to give LeBron help. The players that failed in this years playoffs Shaq/Mo Williams/Gibson/Jamison are all locked up contract wise, although Shaq might call it quits this summer and retire.

I'm not sure of the contract maths side of it but I do know that they have splashed the cash on role players and have very little wiggle room if they want to add a really good player in the off season. To be honest what team is going to give the Cavs a really good player for Mo Williams?

lafortezza wrote: »
    The thing is though that the Cavs can't really add much more to their team to give LeBron help. The players that failed in this years playoffs Shaq/Mo Williams/Gibson/Jamison are all locked up contract wise, although Shaq might call it quits this summer and retire.

I'm not sure of the contract maths side of it but I do know that they have splashed the cash on role players and have very little wiggle room if they want to add a really good player in the off season. To be honest what team is going to give the Cavs a really good player for Mo Williams?

Yep I'd agree the Cavs would need another top quality player to complement Lebron. Shaq has had it, I don't know how he made it work with Wade in 06 i guess he's just a bit longer in the tooth now.

But on the note of spending money I don't think Danny Gilbert will be too adverse to that as there's already chatter about paying top dollar to bring in Phil Jackson from L.A. The fact is Lebron can double an organisations net worth (forget the figures but he's done that with Cleveland.) Just found article here but found it a bit complicated other than the jist that Lebron should be printing his own money. This also relates to him signing with the Knicks as I understand they seem to be the only team that can offer him stock in the organisation as part of his salary meaning he will benefit more directly.

Just watched his movie 'More than a game', good flick and I got the feeling from his team 'The fab 5' who he's surrounded himself with, that they'll make a good decision regarding his next move. I mean people make decisions for all kinds of reasons, it could come down to his wife's preference for where to raise the children which is as good a reason as any but you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Danny Ferry (GM) of Cleveland has "departed"

Hmmm interesting stuff, raises more questions than anything!

Also just came across this slightly old but very interesting article nonetheless concerning Mr. James and his 2010 offseason decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

New York
    Looks like something could be happening in Chicago. Bulls agreed to trade starting shooting guard, Kirk Hinrich, and this year's first round draft pick to the Wizards, just to clear cap space.

NY Times quotes anonymous NBA executive saying Lebron to Chicago is a done deal

Sam Smith, writer on bulls.com, on twitter today:
    "Catch this from Draft Night? http://bit.ly/aV7wdj Good stuff comin Monday"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Some other lucky b*stard
    surely the bulls would be a step backwards
    they dont have a team to support lebron
    thats ridiculous in my book
    dont do it man

New York
    conno16 wrote: »
    dont do it man

huh? they made the playoffs the last 2 years. young team. all-star point-guard, near all-star centre, Gibson made the 2010 all-rookie team, Deng averages nearly 20 points a game, cap space to sign one more free agent. And they have the defensive coach of the Celtics taking over. I'd say it represents his best chance among the potential teams of winning a championship.

Sam Smith has another article today and looks like it's still very much up in the air whether he goes there, though Chicago are definitely going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Miami
    Wade, Lebron and Bosh on the same team?:eek:

It is getting a little more possible now since the Heat cut James Jones, which I missed, meaning that they only have Mario Chalmers & Michael Beasley under contract. Jones' contract was only partially guaranteed, and they now have about $43.2M to split between LeBron/Wade/Bosh. This could get damn interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

it definitly wont happen for all 3 to be on same team. all players want max contracts and not getting a max costs each guy like $15m. it wud be retarded to pass up so much money.

esp since like 60% of all nba players are bankrupt within 2-3 years of retirement. lol

Miami
    Well I did read a report on RealGM that said all three have discussed splitting the money up if they do sign in Miami. They don't quite have the room to do the max for each guy, but if Toronto did a sign-and-trade for Bosh involving Beasley, they would.

yea they would have too, but if you consider that they can only sign other players to the team for 480k minimum contracts then they are doomed. u need a second unit since not all 3 can play 48 minutes. Id say if they joined together theres a decent chance they wont win a title.

Now if they can get old veterans to join for min. for a good shot at the title then cool. gettgin rookies wont do but maybe vets will take a salary hit.

New York
    Sam Smith: Here's where all the free agents are going.

Speculation, but good article.

Miami
    Had to laugh when I saw that the Bucks got Drew Gooden on a 5 year 32 million contract. Between adding Correy Magette and now this it's like what on earth are they thinking. rotfl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

dont do it man

The Bulls don't have a team to support him ??

Seriously ??

The Bulls are a solid young team with complimentary players that would be excellent around Lebron. They also have room for a second MAX contract to add another high profile player.

The one thing that the Bulls need to address is a solid outside shooter.

Some other lucky b*stard
    Jay Z is meant to have delivered a real solid pitch for the nets
    they have to be the front-runners now

imo order he goes to;

Bulls
    Heat (if any max goes there then he wont)
    Mavs (sign and trade, Mavs will have enough pieces left)
    Cavs
    Nets
    Knicks

The last 2 would be a joke to go too.

Some other lucky b*stard
    the Jay Z factor should not be under-estimated..
    big bucks too

all bucks are the same!

imo JayZ is a none factor, James will not win anything with the nets for about 3years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Miami
    The key to signing James will be any trades after the free agents all sign on.
    Looks like it's Bosh&Wade for Miami.

Reckon it's a choice of Chicago or Knicks, don't forget Knicks have fat boy Currys expiring contract for next summer to bargain with (Carmelo or Parker).

The Nets are a joke team with the dodgy Russian money.

Some other lucky b*stard
    yes but look at what chelsea fc did with dodgy russian money
    nets to follow the same template

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

yes but look at what chelsea fc did with dodgy russian money
    nets to follow the same template

I second that! regardless of what players say about wanting to win trophies etc they will definately be swayed by huge contracts ... get enough of them to do this and maybe 2 years to gel and you have a world beating team

Some other lucky b*stard
    brooklyn will be an attractive proposition to many also

i dunno if you realise nba isnt like soccer.

1st anyway is they wont be playin in brroklyn for at least 2 more years, instead playin in newark and a crap gym at that.

2nd theres a salary cap and players earn more playin with their current team than by moving. players who are eligible for max contracts will earn the same regardless of where they go.

Some other lucky b*stard
    hey goat dont be so naive
    are you trying to tell me you think top players dont get top-ups??
    the salary cap etc can be a nonsense in many cases..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

The plain and simple answer is that he should go to the Bulls.. they have everything in place to make a run at the title.. solid PG AND C in Rose and Noah.. But theres major reports on espn that Wade has requested another meeting with the Bulls so who knows whats gonna happen... But if i was Lebron id be wearing the Number 6 jersey in Chicago this season..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 miracleman89

Lebron will stay wit the Cavs. He is Changing his number as he knows he could never live up to jordan and feels he will be pushed to do it if he keeps it and he will fail as no body can compare to jordan. he just wants to enjoy the game and play it his way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Lebron will stay wit the Cavs. He is Changing his number as he knows he could never live up to jordan and feels he will be pushed to do it if he keeps it and he will fail as no body can compare to jordan. he just wants to enjoy the game and play it his way!

More importantly he wants to win and i think the Bulls will give him the best chance of that for many years to come...

• Advertisement

hey goat dont be so naive
    are you trying to tell me you think top players dont get top-ups??
    the salary cap etc can be a nonsense in many cases..

lol

Advertisement