Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lebron - The Time To Come!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

alb wrote: »
    Erm isn't this a case of money not talking? Wade, Bosh and LeBron will get less money due to their decision to play in Miami.

Wade is getting a Max contract cos he qualifies for it by being Miamis free agent re-signing.

Bosh is working with the Raptors to be placed in a sign and trade deal, which would qualify him for a max contract.

James is taking 1 yr less than the other two.

However, all 3 will be making 16 mill a yr. Doesn't sound like taking less money to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Some other lucky b*stard
    gonna be some pressure on the heat next season though.
    i'm extremely surprised..

thought this would be his preference:

1. bulls
    2. cavs
    3. heat
    4. knicks
    5. nets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

New York
    Id have to disagree with you there, i think they'd handle the lakers easily enough.. Bosh is a great defender and will prob keep Odum quiet.. Bynum cant stay healthy.. But to have a 1-2 punch combination of Wade and Lebron is gonna be some offense..
    You think they can handle the two-times champions easily? I know this is a ready made "dream team", but that's a serious assumption to make before even one game has been played.

I'll admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable basketball fan, but this has been tried before in other sports, and has failed spectacularly, e.g. Real Madrid's Galacticos. The lakers have a damn good team right now, the Heat are currently an experiment, albeit a very impressive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Miami
    Personally, I think this shows LeBron in poor light and this/his whole circus over the last few weeks/months and his near certain destruction of the Cavaliers franchise will only serve to damage his "legacy". He has displayed narcissistic behaviour on a previously unseen level in the NBA (and that's saying something) and the whole "The Decision" show on ESPN just screams "me, me, me". The greatest players of all time didn't switch teams to win a ring but rather built teams around them. I think LeBron has had every chance in Cleveland with the moves the franchise made to help him but fact is he stunk in the playoffs against a very good but nevertheless old Celtics team. I think to say he's been poorly advised is an understatement. There'll always be an asterix after anything he does in the future now because of this - regardless of what he achieves in Miami.

There's no "I' in team but there's a big me in JaMEs, and as Ricky Gervais said, there's a me in team if you look hard enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Miami
    Glad LeBron didn't join the knicks now in hindsight looking at the last 48hrs.
    A complete media circus that probably even has Wade embarrassed, as the only thing LeBron will be "King" at is piggybacking for a ring and dodging the bullet of having to win as the main man.

The Bulls would have been the best fit for him currently.

The Knicks will be fine, Amar'e and a PG on the way (Parker/CP3/Felton in order of preference) with the current cap space.
    Gallo/Douglas/Chandler can be kept to add to the new faces from the Lee trade.
    A strong core of youth for the first time in a long time, looks like Donnie Walsh is about to retire too.

The Nets are a joke and have shown that to be the case, I hope the people of Brooklyn shun them but the population there is so high they'll probably tick over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

dunno whats up with the media, how do you piggy back for a ring??? unless your Karl Malone at the lakers and trying to win a ring in the last 1-2 of your playing career (also Payton) then how are u piggybacking.

he will be top scorer, maybe MVP. like Kobe, Gasol with Bynum and Artest are a deadly combo. Bynum and Artest arent called for piggybacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Miami
    Da GOAT wrote: »
    dunno whats up with the media, how do you piggy back for a ring??? unless your Karl Malone at the lakers and trying to win a ring in the last 1-2 of your playing career (also Payton) then how are u piggybacking.

he will be top scorer, maybe MVP. like Kobe, Gasol with Bynum and Artest are a deadly combo. Bynum and Artest arent called for piggybacking.

"The King" was supposed to be a main man was he not(like Kobe)? As his 2 MVP awards suggest.
    Bynum and Artest are role players, can't compare them with someone who builds themselves up as the best ever.

LeBron has just joined Wades team, that's how it'll be seen as Wade could do it without any of them(LBJ & Bosh).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

New York
    Id have to disagree with you there, i think they'd handle the lakers easily enough.. Bosh is a great defender and will prob keep Odum quiet.. Bynum cant stay healthy.. But to have a 1-2 punch combination of Wade and Lebron is gonna be some offense..

Riley will now go looking around the league for supporting role players and do you not think most of these players will take less money just to play on this team.. they'll be lining up already..

Hats off to Pat Riley because hes done some job convincing the 3 players to join...

Bosh is my no means a great defender and will be a big issue for them in my opinion, although now that he is along side two hardworking defensive players he might up it a bit.

I don't think it took too much convincing, they planned on playing together for a while, those things never really work out but this all does seem contrived.

They certainly wont have it easy against the Lakers by any means, plus we still have Orlando and the Celtics who just signed O'Neal, Bulls wont be a pushover either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

3 superstars taking up over 80% of the teams cap, all the rest will of the team will be minimum players, so i see Shaq heading back to Miami.

So what happends if one of the big 3 gets injured...suddenly they are in big trouble. 2 superstars and a bunch of bit part players, hardly that intimdating to Boston, Chicargo or Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some other lucky b*stard
    Hazys wrote: »
    3 superstars taking up over 80% of the teams cap, all the rest will of the team will be minimum players, so i see Shaq heading back to Miami.

So what happends if one of the big 3 gets injured...suddenly they are in big trouble. 2 superstars and a bunch of bit part players, hardly that intimdating to Boston, Chicargo or Orlando.
    There are a load of vets that will want to jump on the Miami ship in the hope of getting a ring.

Ben Wallace for instance is available for vet min right now and he can defend. The Heat will be impossible to stop if they get it right. This team is capable of scoring 125 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

are the max deals for all 3 of them official??? noone knows if they are not goin to take 10mil each for 1 year and try to win a ring and if it doesn't work they just move on...

and last time i checked basketball was a TEAM sport so what's so wrong on wanting to be on a good team be it D-Wade's ar anyone elses???

i still hope that they wont win:D

Go MAGIC!!! bring back T-Mac and with vinsanity and superman we will win it next year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Lirange

I very much dislike the way Lebron and his team of marketing wonks went about all this with "The Decision" nonsense. But I have no problem with him joining the Heat to play with Wade and Bosh.

People bizarrely seem intent on bashing him for sacrificing a shot at individual excellence and glory in order to win with other great players. Nobody does it alone. Not Kobe. Not Michael. Had the Cavs won the NBA championship no star player would have won with a more mediocre (a generous term) supporting cast than Lebron in the modern era. Michael would not have won with that team. So in that respect I can understand how it would have been great to see him accomplish that. But I became convinced watching the playoffs the last couple years that the team may be a 60 win club but they weren't championship material. Too many holes and deficiencies were exposed in the physical and intense games of the playoffs. The organisation had a poor front office and a terrible owner the entire time. What competent move did they ever make during the Lebron era? He basically fell in their laps as the obvious first pick and they demonstrated very little wisdom moulding the roster around him through seven years. People can bleat on about how it diminishes his "legacy" or how it dilutes their own definition of "greatness." But that is their problem not his. He may not end up being the GOAT or fall a few pegs down the list. But so what? If he gets a ring he is still a winner. It's his damn life. Some of the ranting and gnashing out there in the media and on the net really is over the top. If you're not a Cleveland fan then put down the pitchfork, snuff out those torches, and wipe the foam from the side of your mouths!

Another anti LJ-to-Miami sentiment making the rounds is that Lebron needs Dwayne more than Dwayne needs Lebron. That this will be Wade's team. Nobody worked harder to get LJ to the Heat than DW. His close friendship with Wade was a big draw for him. I believe he was likely headed to the Heat whether or not Bosh joined them. It will be fascinating to watch whether or not it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

evil_seed wrote: »
    Wade is getting a Max contract cos he qualifies for it by being Miamis free agent re-signing.

Bosh is working with the Raptors to be placed in a sign and trade deal, which would qualify him for a max contract.

James is taking 1 yr less than the other two.

However, all 3 will be making 16 mill a yr. Doesn't sound like taking less money to me

The Bosh sign and trade deal is dead. He will lose money because he severely limited Toronto's options of making a trade.

James is taking less money because for basically the same reason. He could have been maxed out in Cleveland.

While all three players are all completely in their right to sign wherever they want. The entire lead-up to and including last night left me with a very seedy feeling. Lebron has completely destroyed his legacy. He has hurt his brand name, and really showed a lack of depth of character.

Even if Miami finds someone to win an NBA Championship, it is never going to mean as much as it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Heat will be impossible to stop if they get it right. This team is capable of scoring 125 a night.

Yeah, the problem for Miami is the other end of the floor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

They might not be able to handle Boston, never mind the Lakers.

The Lakers and the Celtics are capable of posing a ton of problems for this Miami team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Miami
    Actually one thing that the absurd ESPN special did was distract the basketball world away from the complete and epic fail that just happened in New York. They just tanked for 3 years, traded their first round pick in something like 7 out of the last 9 years...and ended up with Amare Stoudemire and Ray Felton.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

New York
    Sea Devils wrote: »
    Actually one thing that the absurd ESPN special did was distract the basketball world away from the complete and epic fail that just happened in New York. They just tanked for 3 years, traded their first round pick in something like 7 out of the last 9 years...and ended up with Amare Stoudemire and Ray Felton.

Unbelievable.

I know, I think they were just full sure LeBron was going to them, don't think they had much of a back up plan available to them, could be scrambling now to assemble a really competitive team. D'antoni will probably put the pieces together to have a similar team style to the one he assembled with the Suns.

On a different note, I am liking the team the Bulls are putting together, they have signed Korver and maybe Redick but even with Korver they have added a solid shooter from the perimeter, I think these signings really compliment the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Miami
    Looks like they're in for Mike Miller (who'll get a lot of wide open 3's on this team) and Derek Fisher. Possibility of Shaq joining for a minimum contract.

Like the article on Sports Illustrated where the writer called the Heat trio, wait for it...

The Three Um, Egos.

:)

Advertisement