Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, The Great Easter Egg Rip Off

Options
  • 04-03-2010 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Tesco are at it again!
    Snickers 200g egg Uk 0.79 stg IRl 3.99 Euro
    Uk snickers is the last entry on the linked paged.

And there is loads more.
    You can reply with the usual Not Another Tesco Thread

But its plain to see they are taking us for a ride..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tesco are at it again!

And there is loads more.

I agree totally, i was in there yesterdayy and they forced me to buy an easter egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I agree totally, i was in there yesterdayy and they forced me to buy an easter egg

Expected That.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

So you are comparing a UK special offer ina UK supermarket with full price in an Irish supermarket????:confused:

How about looking at the eggs Tesco have on special in the Irish supermarkets and comapre them to the full rpices in the UK supermarkets.

At 79c for a 200g egg it is a loss leader and a temporary special offer.

It is UTTER stupidity to comapre temporary price promotions in one juristiction to standard price in another.

If this was the case, the Tesco UK are ripping off the UK consumer because in Tesco Ireland you can buy a bag of whiskas cat food for €3.50 whereas in the UK it is £4.79 and probably hundreds more examples both ways.

BTW - 3 eggs for €5 in Supervalu this week.

And you also seem to have forgotten to mention that all large eggs are half price in Tesco this week. - I wonder if all large eggs are half price in Tesco uk - or maybe thats yet anotehr UK consumer rip off???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's only a rip off if they force you to buy one. Don't buy them. They have lots of others on special or go to the local Mace as I did and got 3 for €6 last week. They're back to full price this week so I'll not buy any more for the moment.

You have free choice. Buy or don't. So don't.

Hardly a rip off though as many other supermarkets here have them at €3.99.

Just don't like Tesco is it? Why shop there then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

It's only a rip off if they force you to buy one. .

LOL new definition of a RIP OFF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

91011 wrote: »
    It is UTTER stupidity to comapre temporary price promotions in one juristiction to standard price in another.
    Indeed, but it seems to be the unwritten rule in many of these threads.

For people interested in knowing decent prices, rather than "expensive alerts", over in bargain alerts

Cadbury Creme Eggs 12 pack €3.50 @ Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So, what are all of the other Irish based shops charging? All of the eggs seem to start off too expensive(the suckers buy them at this point), then all of the shops end up practically giving the things away.

When the New World Order has a world government, along with a single economy, and the Illuminati has us all by the balls, then you can call rip-off when something isn't the same price worldwide, but until that day comes, we have to realise that prices are different from one jurisdiction to the next.

Even Lidl and Aldi charge different prices from one country to the next, even if the prices are in Euro, and they don't have the same specials at the same time in each country either. Check out their international sites for proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

mmm... Easter eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

How exactly is that a RIP off?

Their UK price is cheaper but their price here is cheaper than or same as their competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

LOL new definition of a RIP OFF.

You seem to be the only person laughing!

The OED:-

Def: To steal from: (I don't think you could prosecute for theft in these circumstances)

Slang: a grossly overpriced article (I'll give you that one, but Slang not Definition) :p

There are special offers all over the place on Easter eggs. Every Supermarket has them on and off. Don't judge prices by one special in place versus another at full price, at a moment in time. Not a rip-off.

Stick to bargain alerts perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Tesco are at it again!

And there is loads more.

Oh no, not another rip off Tesco thread ! Thankfully we have the considerate Dunnes, Superquinn, Supervalu etc who will sell us these things at a ridiculously low cost purely for the sake of us public and have no interest in making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Eggspected That.

Fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

So you are comparing a UK special offer ina UK supermarket with full price in an Irish supermarket????:confused:

How about looking at the eggs Tesco have on special in the Irish supermarkets and comapre them to the full rpices in the UK supermarkets.

At 79c for a 200g egg it is a loss leader and a temporary special offer.

If this was the case, the Tesco UK are ripping off the UK consumer because in Tesco Ireland you can buy a bag of whiskas cat food for €3.50 whereas in the UK it is £4.79 and probably hundreds more examples both ways.

BTW - 3 eggs for €5 in Supervalu this week.

And you also seem to have forgotten to mention that all large eggs are half price in Tesco this week. - I wonder if all large eggs are half price in Tesco uk - or maybe thats yet anotehr UK consumer rip off???
    my local supervalu 2 easter eggs for 4 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My local Supervalu 3 for 3.50....why don't Supervalu charge the same in every store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

magnumlady wrote: »
    My local Supervalu 3 for 3.50....why don't Supervalu charge the same in every store?

Depends on what size you arfe quoting, also each Supervalu is owned individually and whilst normally all prices are the same, the local owner can have his / her own local offers.

That why I do most of my shopping in supervalu - locally owned, locally managed, locally staffed and a far greater selection of locally produced items too. - and feck all difference in price compared to tesco and in many case cheaper

Depends on what size you arfe quoting, also each Supervalu is owned individually and whilst normally all prices are the same, the local owner can have his / her own local offers.

That why I do most of my shopping in supervalu - locally owned, locally managed, locally staffed and a far greater selection of locally produced items too. - and feck all difference in price compared to tesco and in many case cheaper

Your SuperValu franchise must be a lot different to the ones that I've been inside.

As for all the locally produced stuff, there's not much room for that when the franchisee is forced to buy in excess of 95% of his goods from Musgrave, allowing him to buy some local items with the rest, for show.

They're no better than the rest of them.

I think that all shops are locally managed and locally staffed, as it would take an awful long time for them to get to work each day if they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Oh right. They are three cadbury or nestle medium Easter Eggs.
    I like the local Supervalu, very friendly staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

tescos are doing with the medium eggs buy 1 get 2 free for 3.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

I mean come on people.. After all the bad press (all of which deserved ) which Tesco have received lately I'm surprised anyone still shops there...

1. The whole reducing prices in Tesco outlets near the border..
    2. The misleading branding of "Buy Irish", which was featured on Joe Duffy and the refusal of Tesco to buy Chicken/Pig meat from southern suppliers.
    3. Their pricing in general.. One simple example.. 1 bottle of Radox purchased in a northern chemist (not even a supermarket) .99p. In Tesco down south recently I saw a "special offer" of 2 Radox for 5euros..

nuff said.

jayo99 wrote: »
    I mean come on people.. After all the bad press (all of which deserved ) which Tesco have received lately I'm surprised anyone still shops there...

1. The whole reducing prices in Tesco outlets near the border..
    2. The misleading branding of "Buy Irish", which was featured on Joe Duffy and the refusal of Tesco to buy Chicken/Pig meat from southern suppliers.
    3. Their pricing in general.. One simple example.. 1 bottle of Radox purchased in a northern chemist (not even a supermarket) .99p. In Tesco down south recently I saw a "special offer" of 2 Radox for 5euros..

nuff said.

I think that people must be still shopping in Tesco or their shops would have all closed down. We flit backwards and forwards between Dunnes and Tesco, and surprisingly enough, they both seem to have customers. Even SuperValu has customers.

It may surprise you to know that most of the shops in the border areas dropped their prices to stem the flow of shoppers over the border.

The "Buy Irish" thing cropped up in the Consumer Issues forum, and it was an irate Boards poster who rang up Joe Duffy about a situation in his local Tesco. As usual though, as a story passes from one person to the next, it grows in size each time, until it becomes a global conspiracy.

I know nothing about the chicken/pigmeat situation. Where did that one come from, and which other shops aren’t buying these from Irish suppliers?

We'll all drive up North to buy our bottle of Radox, and I for one won't worry about the cost of the 400 mile round trip. I would imagine that no-one sells bottles of Radox down here for 99cent, let alone Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tesco Ireland are currently in the deep do-do. They are currently seeking irish suppliers to supply them again. Its not that long since they kicked a lot of them out.

Their financial year is up in March and there is a BIG hole in their figures. It will probably be buried in the Tesco groups figures. There have lost out on massive rebates and they are hurting badly.

Do you know they ship some irish product from Ireland to Milton Keynes, pick it into individual orders, then ship it back again to the irish stores.

Watch this space.

( allegedly )

Tesco Ireland are currently in the deep do-do. They are currently seeking irish suppliers to supply them again. Its not that long since they kicked a lot of them out.

Their financial year is up in March and there is a BIG hole in their figures. It will probably be buried in the Tesco groups figures. There have lost out on massive rebates and they are hurting badly.

Do you know they ship some irish product from Ireland to Milton Keynes, pick it into individual orders, then ship it back again to the irish stores.

Watch this space.

( allegedly )

I suppose that there'll be a few heads rolling at the Irish head office, as they seem to be walking from one PR/policy disaster to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tesco is run from the uk. Ireland is just another suburb of the Uk to them.

They really have shot themselves in the foot and they are suffering because of it. I know someone who was brought into the old distrbution centre in Tallaght who was repackaging all the excess stocks they couldnt sell here, before it was shipped back to the UK.

Tesco make serious money from LTA's but with the crash in sales along with their discommunication of the irish suppliers, they are bollixed. They really dont give a monkeys about Ireland, as has been shown by there attitude to complaints. There are numerous threads about them on boards.

I am not biased on this issue. I own a small store in Dublin but there is no tesco anywhere near me.

The nice new Tesco at Clare Hall is very handy for execs flying in from the UK.

Tesco is run from the uk. Ireland is just another suburb of the Uk to them.

They really have shot themselves in the foot and they are suffering because of it. I know someone who was brought into the old distrbution centre in Tallaght who was repackaging all the excess stocks they couldnt sell here, before it was shipped back to the UK.

Tesco make serious money from LTA's but with the crash in sales along with their discommunication of the irish suppliers, they are bollixed. They really dont give a monkeys about Ireland, as has been shown by there attitude to complaints. There are numerous threads about them on boards.

I am not biased on this issue. I own a small store in Dublin but there is no tesco anywhere near me.

The nice new Tesco at Clare Hall is very handy for execs flying in from the UK.

Their face-palm department seems to be working overtime now, allowing their competitors to get involved in their own dirty doings under the radar. I don't know whether they have the same trouble in other countries, but the people responsible for running the Irish operation need a kick up the arse. Perhaps they're too reliant on some pissed-off ex Quinnsworth people.

I notice things like SuperValu selling the new Colgate Pro enamel thingamy toothpaste for a Euro more than Tesco charge, but Tesco's regular balls-ups push the advantages of shopping with them into the background.

I've dealt with various retailers on the financial side, and have had access to all records, so I know first-hand that the Musgrave set-up is no better or worse than Tesco for giving a certain "impression" to the consumer, in particular regarding "local", as mentioned in a previous post.

Advertisement