Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droid Eris 2.1 (+ HTC Sense) Leaked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just to update on this, there are 3 groups working on porting the new ROM (all trying to beat each other for speed and full functionality!). Most 2.1 ROMs are stable with minor issues, so I'll be upgrading in the morning.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's already ported to the hero. Think its reported on androidguys.com

Thats what I said :)

There are 3 versions out at the moment, and they are all trying to 1-up each other. By the morning, you'll have at least 1 very stable version.

VillainROM 3 Final (based on Droid Eris) is out. Downloading now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I flashed HeroDroid v0.1 by MaXo64 onto my Hero.

The pinch on home screen to have an overview of the home screens is a nice feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Mr E wrote: »

Any update? Have you installed? is it worth while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Is this a hero "only" rom?

I have a G1 and I'm wondering if there are any benefits to installing it to the device..

Installed.... flippin' sweet.

Very fast, fresh new look to the android market, nice new installation wizard, google satnav (!), updated UI screens in some places, settings screen looks great (more colourful), multiple gmail accounts... very stable so far (for the first 10 minutes anyway!)

So far so good...

The torrent won't start for me. I hate torrents, never work.

Check the last few pages of the Villain thread. Lots of rapidshare links (and similar sites).
    Hold off for a bit if you need root access - it doesn't seem to work on this version, but nprussell is working on it now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Will this be downloadable through the phone? Updating the 5800 was shockingly easy, you could do it through the phone or through Ovi suite, how do we mere plebs go about it?

This is a leaked ROM, and is nowhere near official. The official 2.1 ROM from HTC should be available from their website (as a windows installer) later this month.

Meteor's release should follow soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

Installed.... flippin' sweet.

Very fast, fresh new look to the android market, nice new installation wizard, google satnav (!), updated UI screens in some places, settings screen looks great (more colourful), multiple gmail accounts... very stable so far (for the first 10 minutes anyway!)

So far so good...

What phone have you flashed it onto?

I have a Nexus but also have a Hero that I don't use anymore and may play around with this type of thing - I know that HTC are talking about upgrading the Hero UI to Android 2.1 including Sense, but to be honest even when I was using the Hero with 1.5 and Sense it felt a little sluggish - not sure if it would be able to handle 2.1 with Sense also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I installed the Villain rom just there. I'm currently going back to MoDaCo 3.1 on Android 1.5 because Villain still seems to have a few too many issues. But WOW, that thing is fast! It's great to know my Hero is even capable of that kind of speed. I'm really looking forward to the official 2.1 release on the Hero now (and to see what MoDaCo does to it) :D

Stevo: Installed on a Hero. I have no problems with it, and its very fast.

Breezer: Too many issues? Like what?

I when back to 1.5 as well (mr.bang performance rom)

I'll wait a while until things are ironed out / until the official 2.1 release.

My battery was being drained like mad, both on Villain and BeHero. Overclock widget not working properly. I actually found a lot of things quite sluggish on these 2.1 roms opposed to finding them faster as they are said to be.

Breezer: Too many issues? Like what?
    Contact icons not syncing from Google. Photos app and gallery app getting stuck loading my pictures (and therefore not being able to customise my wallpaper). Navigation not being set up properly (I suppose it's better than not having it at all, but meh.) "Clock" and "Desk Clock" appearing in the menu, linking to the same app (OK I could get over that one).

Those plus the effort of having to reorganise my home screens (is there a way to save scenes between rom updates actually?) and input all my settings in the apps again.

Are you not getting those issues Mr E?

It really does look like it'll be a fantastic update once these things are ironed out though. Beautiful to look at and did I mention FAST? :)

Breezer wrote: »
    Contact icons not syncing from Google. Photos app and gallery app getting stuck loading my pictures (and therefore not being able to customise my wallpaper). Navigation not being set up properly (I suppose it's better than not having it at all, but meh.) "Clock" and "Desk Clock" appearing in the menu, linking to the same app (OK I could get over that one).

Those plus the effort of having to reorganise my home screens (is there a way to save scenes between rom updates actually?) and input all my settings in the apps again.

My google contact icons downloaded OK.
    Gallery not an issue for me. It'll be fixed.
    GPS is broken in this version. It'll be fixed.
    Clock and Desk Clock? Not really an issue.

As for the home screen, my experience with other ROMs is that you can install ROM updates over existing installed versions and the settings are retained. You only ever need to do a wipe if its a completely new ROM. So tonight when I install 3.2 over 3.1, all of my settings will still be intact - installed apps, layouts, APNs, accounts, etc.

Always do a nandroid backup between installs so you can revert if there are issues.

My google contact icons downloaded OK.
    Gallery not an issue for me. It'll be fixed.
    GPS is broken in this version. It'll be fixed.
    Clock and Desk Clock? Not really an issue.
    I'm sure they will be fixed pretty quickly alright. When they are I'll put it back on.
    As for the home screen, my experience with other ROMs is that you can install ROM updates over existing installed versions and the settings are retained. You only ever need to do a wipe if its a completely new ROM. So tonight when I install 3.2 over 3.1, all of my settings will still be intact - installed apps, layouts, APNs, accounts, etc.
    True, but I was coming from MoDaCo. Ah well, thanks.
    Always do a nandroid backup between installs so you can revert if there are issues.
    Good advice. I did, and I'm happily back on 1.5 now for what'll hopefully only be a short while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 danmcmie

Would anyone know where are the best instructions online for rooting a htc hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

danmcmie wrote: »
    Would anyone know where are the best instructions online for rooting a htc hero?

check stickies. There is Android/Hero guide, inside you will find a link to a guide.

Re: Eris leak: I tried VillainROM3.2 yesterday, I wasn't impressed with it. Went back to Mr.Bang performance rom, much quicker!

Advertisement