Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating with Diabetes!

Options
  • 04-03-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

I was diagnosed with diabetes in October and I am wondering if this will put an end to my chances of emigrating. Does anybody know about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

It shouldnt, a friend of mine has it, the injection type (sorry dont know if that is type 1 or 2) she is planning on going to Oz just on WHV but has to do an special medical said it will take 2 months to get appointment so she hasnt had it yet. she didnt seem to think it would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The medical system is far superior to that in Ireland. You would probably be better off over there actually. Just get health insurance as soon as you can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Having looked into the NZ residencey stuff just out of curiosity before myself, it doesn't exlude you from there. Although there are a few medical conditions listed that they don't like you to have, diabetes is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks for that everyone. My wifes cousin is in Canada now and she said I would probably not get a visa for there with diabetes as they have a similar health care system to here where they pay for your medication for such conditions and they dont really want to bring in more people that are going to be a burden to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They shouldn't have a problem with a young type1 emigrating somewhere though as the assumption would be that you would then be working and contributing to the economy just as much as any other citizen so paying your way. They would be more likely to have issues with people who are unable to work, likely to have a shortened working life and then just be a drain on the health system. That doesn't apply to diabetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

robinph wrote: »
    Having looked into the NZ residencey stuff just out of curiosity before myself, it doesn't exlude you from there. Although there are a few medical conditions listed that they don't like you to have, diabetes is not one of them.

Where could I find a list of medical conditions that rule you out?

mood wrote: »
    Where could I find a list of medical conditions that rule you out?

You'd need to read through all the other stuff preceding this list first as well from here, but this is a list of conditions that would probably exclude you:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/10009.htm

Advertisement