Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BC2 Tips and Tricks

Options
  • 04-03-2010 11:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you played the beta you should really uninstall this before installing the retail version of the game. A lot of people don't bother doing this but it leads to punkbuster problems (updating in the beta folder and not the retail folder).

For Vista/Win7 users, when you install the game it doesn't create a shortcut to the desktop. If you would like to do so you must create a shortcut to the BFBC2Updater.exe file and not the BFBC2.exe file.

Punkbuster seems to have trouble updating for some. As ever on first install it's generally best to run the manual update tool PBSETUP.

The Field of View setting in BC2 is very narrow for a lot of people. You can increase this by editing the fov value in the settings.ini file from "55" to something higher (try 85 for example).

Other settings.ini modifactions which might help are :

DxVersion=Auto : While "auto" works fine, by changing this to 9 you should increase the FPS rate though losing some of the prettier graphics avaliavle in DX10/11
    Bloom=true : Change this to false to help with some of the 'snow' maps which at times are difficult to play due to the whiteness or bloom effect.
    Water=high : Change this to medium fr a possible FPS increase

The BC2 manual can be downloaded from this link - Rapidshare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah the 'Bloom' effect is unreal on Snow Maps. Was playing the Single player last night and I could barely see what was going on, I even tried turning down the brightness but this had no affect. I'll try and turn of the bloom like you've suggested next time I play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I want to practice in a chopper in an empty server so does anybody know which multiplayer maps have choppers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just to add , as far as i know when running dx 9 you cannot use AA.
    This is what i heard, i havent tried myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Just to add , as far as i know when running dx 9 you cannot use AA.
    This is what i heard, i havent tried myself.

That is true. Windows XP DX9 users don't have AA as the Frostbite engine has been built around DX 10/11

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

God bless DX10/11....lol.

What determines the FOV settings.....I mean if you have a better GPU can you set it to the max or will it just look distorted?

• Advertisement

I"m told buy those that know better that increasing the fov doesn't have an impact on GPU/CPU so you can whack it up to the maximum without affecting the FPS rate.

Now while all that sounds dandy, in reality the higher the FOV, the narrower your "game window" becomes (remember those black borders on movies before we all got 16:9 tv sets?)

But BC2 does things differently and an increase of FOV in the settings.ini file results in an increased field of view, no black borders (vignetting) but the image becomes more and more like a fish-eye lens.

As posted earlier, you can check out the difference between 55 and the max (200) here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You dont actually get medic kits when picking the medic, you have to unlock them :)

in case you (like i) think your game is broken :)

WHAAAT!!! No medic kits....there is me thinking its the best way to rank up...saving all the n00bs.....meh?

:rolleyes:

1000 points to unlock ammo/medic packs.

Suck it up n00bs !

Ponster wrote: »

Suck it up n00bs !

I dont give medikits, i cause them :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Suck it up n00bs !

Not again =/

If R0ot can't make 1000 points in 4 game then we're all doomed :)

I just played a Team Deathmatch round. Killed 7 folks and got the ammo crate bonus.

I almost came in my pants it was so sexy !

A fixed spawn point but as you can spawn on any squad member it meant that you had no idea where the enemy was coming from !

If R0ot can't make 1000 points in 4 game then we're all doomed :)

I just played a Team Deathmatch round. Killed 7 folks and got the ammo crate bonus.

I almost came in my pants it was so sexy !

A fixed spawn point but as you can spawn on any squad member it meant that you had no idea where the enemy was coming from !

still cant see you in game :|

BFBC2Game%202010-03-04%2022-19-39-84.jpg

I'm more concerned with the no medipack ammo pack in clan games situation but I appreciate the faith there Ponster =) My new born is coming home Saturday so tonight will probably be the only gaming I get to do for a while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nothing worse than spawning to some f**ker that gets mown down just as you spawn.

=-=

Looking forward to gaming later. Hoping some n00b chopper pilot allows me to work on my laser dart shooting skills :D

Does a server have a minimum number of players before it is ranked? As I've seen a few servers this morning with one person on going around hitting rush objectives then leaving when I killed them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

If you have the whole battlefield veteran thing set up you get the medkit and defib from the start afaik, as well as the repair tool for the engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I"m told buy those that know better that increasing the fov doesn't have an impact on GPU/CPU so you can whack it up to the maximum without affecting the FPS rate.

Now while all that sounds dandy, in reality the higher the FOV, the narrower your "game window" becomes (remember those black borders on movies before we all got 16:9 tv sets?)

But BC2 does things differently and an increase of FOV in the settings.ini file results in an increased field of view, no black borders (vignetting) but the image becomes more and more like a fish-eye lens.

As posted earlier, you can check out the difference between 55 and the max (200) here.

Any recommendations for me? I havent got my game yet but I run 16:10 1680x1050, ATI 4850. Should I boost it to 85?

Any recommendations for me? I havent got my game yet but I run 16:10 1680x1050, ATI 4850. Should I boost it to 85?

I'd certainly change it to 65 based on this little calc

R0ot wrote: »
    Does a server have a minimum number of players before it is ranked?

No. Join server with friend and stat-pad to your hearts content.

If I remember correctly it was the same in BF2 until a patch brought in the minimum players thingy.

• Advertisement

Must look into the FOV when I go home, I was to busy looking at the graphics last night to really get into it. Man the game is UBER looking maxed out it really is.....Its like CRYSIS running like TF2 IMHO....Mouth watering.

Also I have all the veteren crap set up and have no extras...also when I entered the unlock code it said my unlocks are ready for download??? From Where exactly??

Add my name guys....I might not be the best...but you will never DIE ALONE OUT THERE!!!

Wonda 3oy: In game name

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Must look into the FOV when I go home, I was to busy looking at the graphics last night to really get into it. Man the game is UBER looking maxed out it really is.....Its like CRYSIS running like TF2 IMHO....Mouth watering.

I know. Some of the maps are very, very real !

Also I have all the veteren crap set up and have no extras

Not working for BC2 yet

...also when I entered the unlock code it said my unlocks are ready for download??? From Where exactly??

They should be available in the first MP game you play.

Thanx mate, but nothing was available last night but sure we will let them have a day or two before we crack heads...eh!

Also In a couple of you tube vids I seen one of the devs enable DX11 features in game....did not see any last night. I am taking it for granted that if its maxed out its already in DX11, then again assumptions is DA MOTHER of all fuc.k ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What frame rates are people getting? I'm not having problems just interested in whether I'm getting the most out of my system. I have an I5-750, Nvidia GTX280, 4GB ram and it seems to hover around 40/50 FPS mark and when things get hectic on screen it occasionally dips below 30 (Unplayable below 30 imo).

Off the top of my head my settings are:
    Shaders/Textures etc all HIGH
    AA/AF x 1
    VSync OFF
    HBAO OFF

Another thing which might help my framerate is disabling my second monitor before starting the game, I'll give that a go later.

Errr. Dont actually know mate TBH. I can check it for you later tonite. I am running 1920x1200 with 8AA and 16AF with HBAO & VSYNC enabled. All settings highest they will go.

No slow down at all, but will fraps it later for you to compare. AFAIK it does run alot better then the BETA ever did....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Add my name guys....I might not be the best...but you will never DIE ALONE OUT THERE!!!

Wonda 3oy: In game name

On the sauce today? :D

4870, E6850, 4gb ram win 7

Everything on High 1920*1080 and MSAA on 2x and uhh one below it on 1X and 60fps.

Runs like a dream when i can actually get into a server.

LMAO....I get all Band OF Brothers N **** when a good FPS game comes out.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Just a few questions, iv an 880gtx 4gb of ram and a Q660, what settings do you guys suggest? my resolution is 1680x1050

Also iv no mini map in game is this normal?

when i hit Q to spot someone i get no on screen commands like in BF2, this normal?

Sometimes when using the mouse wheel to change weapons i get the usual little tab bar showing me my selections, but thats gone now.

> Also iv no mini map in game is this normal?

You joined a server running Hardcore mode.

> when i hit Q to spot someone i get no on screen commands like in BF2, this normal?

Yep. No commo-rose in BC2. Point at the bad guy, press Q and it'll spot the guy. (you do the same thing to ask for ammo/health, it all depends on what you're pointing at.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

steve_ wrote: »
    Just a few questions, iv an 880gtx 4gb of ram and a Q660, what settings do you guys suggest? my resolution is 1680x1050

when i hit Q to spot someone i get no on screen commands like in BF2, this normal?

Sometimes when using the mouse wheel to change weapons i get the usual little tab bar showing me my selections, but thats gone now.

Biggest fps hit i find is level of detail or whatever its called, the top one on list.
    Turn this to low, vissually your only missing things like extra foilage etc but i found it the biggest fps hit.

Im now running

detail - low [big difference to fps here but nothing much lost going to low]
    texture detail - high [didnt see much difference in gfx guality or framerate so left high]
    shadows - high [same as above - not much difference]
    effects - high [same again]

FSAA X 4
    2048 X 1152

My spec:

Seasonic M12 700W PSU

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

4 gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

windows 7 64 ultimate

2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200

Imgetting minimum 50 fps on my rig but usually hovers about 60-90.

Also set sound quality to low in the settings config file in your documents BC2 folder.

Heres a wee guide for you http://www.fragcast.org/?p=433

Sometimes when using the mouse wheel to change weapons i get the usual little tab bar showing me my selections, but thats gone now

Yes correct on all accounts.

Advertisement