Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord Diesel or Petrol?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I'm looking at importing a used Honda Accord. I would like a diesel for mpg but I hear that there have been some problems with them so any saving on fuel might cost me in repairs down the line. I've heard that the honda petrol engines are bullet-proof but thirsty. Opinions
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

I've an 05 2.0l Petrol, and I get around 33-35 mpg, with a mix of town & motorway driving.

If you do a lot of mileage (upwards of 20k kms or something like that, if I remember the calculation correctly), diesel might be the right choice. For anything else, petrol version is great fun! I went for petrol as I do less than 10k miles a year!

HTH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

positron wrote: »
    I've an 05 2.0l Petrol, and I get around 33-35 mpg, with a mix of town & motorway driving.

If you do a lot of mileage (upwards of 20k kms or something like that, if I remember the calculation correctly), diesel might be the right choice. For anything else, petrol version is great fun! I went for petrol as I do less than 10k miles a year!

HTH!
    My mileage is about 15 - 17k a year. Bit surprised at the mpg you get. I get 31 out of a 3.0 M3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm looking at importing a used Honda Accord. I would like a diesel for mpg but I hear that there have been some problems with them so any saving on fuel might cost me in repairs down the line. I've heard that the honda petrol engines are bullet-proof but thirsty. Opinions

We've got an 06 2.2d Exec on fleet that's about to go in for service with 185,000km. Clutch was replaced at 120,000km but I can't see the cost. Apart from the clutch, it's not had any other mechanical issues.

I have an 05 2.0i Sport model Accord which is approaching 140,000km. No mechanical issues whatsover, but at 700km a week I could probably pay for a replacement clutch with the money I'd save on fuel. I can get 725 - 775 km from the 55 litre tank, but that's all mainly motorway with an average speed of 70km/h.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Are you in the trade then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for that, very helpful. Are you in the trade then?

I'm in leasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

R.O.R wrote: »
    We've got an 06 2.2d Exec on fleet that's about to go in for service with 185,000km. Clutch was replaced at 120,000km but I can't see the cost. Apart from the clutch, it's not had any other mechanical issues.

I have an 05 2.0i Sport model Accord which is approaching 140,000km. No mechanical issues whatsover, but at 700km a week I could probably pay for a replacement clutch with the money I'd save on fuel. I can get 725 - 775 km from the 55 litre tank, but that's all mainly motorway with an average speed of 70km/h.

i get about 600km from a full tank of petrol. mine is auto. and thats not hard driving either.

Excellent, is that a 2.2? Q how much is a full tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my mates running a 2.2diesel exec for 4yrs with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I also know a guy with a 2.0 petrol and loves it aswell. Whatever is your preference I guess..

Advertisement