Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you like cars?

• 04-03-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Some people view cars simply as a personal mode of transport for getting from A to B and nothing more. On the other hand you have enthusiasts who have a genuine interest and a passion for cars.

I got into a conversation recently with a person of the former mindset and they seemed to think that anyone with an interest in cars is either a boy racer or superficial and materialistic and is only interested in cars as 'status' symbols :rolleyes:

So to all you other car people out there, why do you actually like cars?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm interested in getting from A to B mostly - if I can do this in style, all the better.
    Engines fascinate me.

I'd rather un-pimp my ride than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I for one am fascinated with new emerging technology, its an area I work in and am all consumed by it, so cars even as a mode of transport fascinate me.

Performance, economy, safety and design are ever changing so even if there's a slighted change to a car I want to know about it. Its an interesting subject with incredible history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Noises like this for a start.

And the sheer lunacy that was Group B rallying. I go quadding in forestry at the weekends and the noise of engines roaring through gravel paths in woodland is something sheerly visceral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I like cars because I have a huge appreciation for all the intelligence, engineering and though that goes into them. It's unreal the way people found out that you "do this" to propel a huge piece of metal and every tiny part of an engine has to be there in order for the engine to work properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Cars are just another form of modern art. But unlike other art forms, these have to be functional too so the boundaries are continously being pushed.

The look, the noise and the feeling from them is what makes them. Anybody who says that cars do not take on personalities must have always had rubbish cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm fascinated by machines and anything technical. Cars, pc's, home cinema, etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I love everything about cars..
    The noises, the looks..the feeling of driving..mm

all that said, I like bikes more..but I don't wanna die so I don't ride em :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Michael 09 wrote: »

The look, the noise and the feeling from them is what makes them. Anybody who says that cars do not take on personalities must have always had rubbish cars.

Ah but I would say that unreliable (rubbish to many) cars have the most personality. Some cars, especially new ones work in such a linear manner that its hard to get a feeling for them as mechanical objects. Give them 7 years or so and bits need to be replaced and they get interesting again.

To OP, I like fixing things, the more complicated the better. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

i love the feeling of driving. i rarely drink as i prefer driving.

i look at my car the way a mother will see her children. My car is just a 2000 Opel Astra with a 1.4 but I love it. I dont rate cars purely by how fast they go. They have looks, every car has its own look, its own personality. For me I love the lines of cars.

Some cars are dull, but thats just me. I admire cars. I cant stand people in carparks who wallop their doors of your car. I see cars as work horses but also something to enjoy. Not just for jamming into a parking space at the local tesco.

One thing I love to see is an old, bob average car, in absolutely spotless condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I've outgrown the driving element of it now I think, it's more about comfort/luxury for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I love driving, the feeling of acceleration, the noise of a good engine. I'm also a techy, im always interested in engineering, computers and how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

If you have to ask you won't understand:p

ION08 wrote: »
    I got into a conversation recently with a person of the former mindset and they seemed to think that anyone with an interest in cars is either a boy racer or superficial and materialistic and is only interested in cars as 'status' symbols :rolleyes:

I like cars and am not a boy racer (even though I have had a Celica and a Prelude and quite fancy a 200sx), nor do I view them as a status symbol (I only drive old, cheap ones :)). I like driving, I like buying a car, I love haggling, I like getting them ready for NCT. I like selling a car, talking to folk when they ring about them. I get a great kick out of buying a car, getting it spot on, NCT ing drive it for a while and selling it at little or no loss. I like valeting them and even on a cold day don't mind doing a basic service once it's not wet outside.

I had an old Merc during the summer that had an ABS issue, it wrecked my head trying to diagnose it but I enjoyed it, was great getting the 17 year old thing past the test without going to a garage for any of the work.

Cars, lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

For me, the way a fast car sounds and feels, all of the emotions it elicites cannot be matched by anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

For me, it's the reactions I get when my cars just been detailed/valeted..

It's rolling up on a sunny day, picking people up, going for a nice drive..

I never really got into the whole boy racer thing, I do like the feel of a 2ltr petrol under my foot though..

Now, I'm looking forward to being able to bring my son wherever he needs to go. Collecting him from school in daddys nice comfy car on rainy days..(soppy i know)

I love hearing about improvements to current standards, bigger engines, faster cars, lighter cars, economical and technological advances..

and obviously the chat on here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ah but I would say that unreliable (rubbish to many) cars have the most personality. Some cars, especially new ones work in such a linear manner that its hard to get a feeling for them as mechanical objects. Give them 7 years or so and bits need to be replaced and they get interesting again.

Apologies, by 'rubbish' i did not mean the quality of the car i meant that the car must be very dull. my first car was an old punto and i loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

@woody33 - Put only the end of the Youtube URL ( gJOtl9g7jUs in your case) in between

[ youtube ] ___ [ /youtube ]
    Removing the spaces I had to leave in of course.

like so:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cars are everywhere. There are always new ones coming out. New technologies, styles. There's always something new to learn. There are so many varieties and categories. Intersting, dull, fast, slow, big, small...

In a nutshell, it's an interest that just keeps giving and giving and giving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

RoverJames wrote: »
    I like cars and am not a boy racer (even though I have had a Celica and a Prelude and quite fancy a 200sx)

Because you have to be a boy racer to like cars!? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Always have been fascinated with cars from an early age & in recent years ive gone beyond the usual appreciation & im learning more about engines & various other mechanical components.

Think of the daily hardship that is taken out of our lives because of cars & the good old combustion engine.
    People who say oh if it gets me from a to b & thats all i care about are sitting in technological marvels & they don't even know it.

To me, my car is more like a reliable old friend & not just a machine. Theres nothing better than just going for a good long drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The feel of a nice heavy door clunk, the feel of a thick leather, stitched steering wheel... pushing the button and hearing the big boom of a V8 when everyone around you wants to put cars like that to bed forever more, feeling a tight gearbox with a short throw like a proper sports car, the smell of leather, the feeling of pure belly filled excitement when you whore the thing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to absolute stupid speed and realise you have to slow down cause you're well over the speed limit and you can't drive like you just have for the last 20/30 seconds......

I had my M3 sold and the deal fell through and I was actually happy, I missed it too much and hadn't enjoyed it for long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You'll find a lot , if not the majority of bikers are mad about bikes and not just into it as a mode of transport.

I would think the percentage of car owners in this braket is lower though.

draffodx wrote: »
    Because you have to be a boy racer to like cars!? :confused:

I was responding to the OPs comment :)

ION08 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I like not having to sit on public transport next to some teenager listening to sh*t music on their phone with the loudspeaker rather than headphones.

Or someone that thinks their Jesus

Or someone thats wankered drunk and is generally abusive towards everyone.

Most of all I like the driving / comfort / convenience/ time to myself and being able to leave when I want to leave and not when the train timetable says I have to.

Overall cars are a money hole, theres no "investment" everyone forgets the ancillary costs of running a car besides the purchase and sale price :)

However .. so worth it compared to the alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Hi Matt, thanks for fixing that.

KTRIC wrote: »
    You'll find a lot , if not the majority of bikers are mad about bikes and not just into it as a mode of transport.

I would think the percentage of car owners in this braket is lower though.

Whats your point & how does it relate the OP's question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Whats your point & how does it relate the OP's question?

I'd assume he means that the majority of car owners dont actually like cars but see them as a convience for getting from a to b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    I'd assume he means that the majority of car owners dont actually like cars but see them as a convience for getting from a to b

Yes i got that bit but the question is Why do you like cars?:confused:

As in, your post should discuss why you personally like cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Me...because the train smells:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I grew up staring at pictures of cars, reading about them and watching car shows like TopGear for hours and so I've ended up developing a fascination for them.

Out of all the toys I had when I was a kid, my favorite were my small collection of halfbroken cars. I love it more than anything else I had and I spent most of my play time with them.

So its just something I grew up with. While all my mates had posters of bands and WWF stars, I had posters of cars on my bedroom wall.

Then as I grew up my favorite games were always the racing games. Loved playing NFS and stuff like that.

And so I ended up growing up to love cars and everything there is to know about them.
    One of my ambition is to set up my own small car company where I could build cars I've designed.

Its the feeling of freedom the car gives you where you are free to go wherever you are and you're not dependent on something else like the bus or train or your legs to take you there.

And then its the looks, the noise, the whole visceral feel of the thing.

Which is one reason why I don't feel electric cars could be something you could fall in love with. Electric cars miss the whole noise and drama an engine produces. The engine is like a living heart of the car revving and churning oil and petrol. The electric motor is just a machine that turns the wheels on pressing a switch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I like buying nct failures,carrying out the repairs and getting them through the test, then selling them on.
    There's always a project in my yard, in fact if the yard is empty(not very often) I get withdrawal symptoms and missus dirty diesel encourages me to buy another car to get me out of the house.
    I just love cars especially classics.

I like buying nct failures,carrying out the repairs and getting them through the test, then selling them on.
    There's always a project in my yard, in fact if the yard is empty(not very often) I get withdrawal symptoms and missus dirty diesel encourages me to buy another car to get me out of the house.

That is actually loving cars.

RoverJames wrote: »
    That is actually loving cars.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I plan to do this with the car I'm deciding to buy.
    It looks to have a few underlying problems and as long as the body is not rusty beyond repair, I'ld like to fix it over time and keep if for a good few years, improving it (with new better parts, not modifying it) as the years pass. And then I could sell it for something else in a much much better state than I got it.

I plan to do this with the car I'm deciding to buy.
    It looks to have a few underlying problems and as long as the body is not rusty beyond repair, I'ld like to fix it over time and keep if for a good few years, improving it (with new better parts, not modifying it) as the years pass. And then I could sell it for something else in a much much better state than I got it.
    Is it a classic?
    Maybe a future classic?
    I get the feeling its a classic, im getting excited now.

Is it a classic?
    Maybe a future classic?
    I get the feeling its a classic, im getting excited now.

Its a Ford Puma.
    Not a classic. But a nippy little fun car...
    Could be a future classic... I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I love .... torque!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i...i dont know!

just everything about them is brilliant!

always loved cars, had a massive 'dinky' car collection, have been into motorsport since i was 11, always had psoters and models of cars, and once i started driving, i got addicted!

• Advertisement

Its a Ford Puma.
    Not a classic. But a nippy little fun car...
    Could be a future classic... I hope!
    Any car has the potential to become a classic at some stage, good luck with your project.

Advertisement