Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to paint floor tiles?

• 04-03-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    We have a tiled bathroom floor that gives my wife a pain everytime she sees it so it has to go. Rather than pull them up and re-tile, I was wondering if it's possible to paint them instead? I know that you can paint tiles but is it feasible on floor tiles? A google search brings up differing opinions so I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done this, with tips on what specifically to use.

Cheers,
    bobjim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

over 30 years in the bizz sorry to say but no way

www.bathroombliss.info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nope I would not.... I dont even agree with painting the wall tiles however I have seen the wall done. But no. Not floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

No can do imo, you can always tile over them provided it you can afford to bring the floor up that extra bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

There is a special primer that you can get, but it is more for wall tiles.
    You can get get floor paint, but as far as I can remember it is only available in green, red or gray, and is more for concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I'm in similar situation my hall/kitchen tiles wreck my head I was advised not to paint floor tiles at all either re tile or lino :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

I saw some advice online saying you can do it and I HATED the sight of the tiles in my small bathroom but can't really afford to get it re-tiled..... so I went ahead and used a good white tile paint on the floor tiles in my bathroom. Yes I know a few people thought it was a great idea, others thought it was nuts, but I have to say it looks fantastic, really lifts the colour of the whole room and cost less than getting it retiled. The tile paint I used is Ronseal One-Coat Tile Paint, says it has a built-in sealant, but I looked for a urethane sealant anyway just to be sure and give it better longevity... unfortuantely the "clear" urethane sealant I tried has a bit of a tint as it's meant to be for sealing wood, so have to paint over the section I tested it on again. OH well, you learn from your mistakes. I'm thinking 3 coats of the tile paint might just do it?.....

Has anyone else had any success with painting floor tiles?? did you use a urethane sealant? And, regardless, can anyone recommend a truly "clear" urethane so I can put a few coats over the painted tiles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

bobjim wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have a tiled bathroom floor that gives my wife a pain everytime she sees it so it has to go. Rather than pull them up and re-tile, I was wondering if it's possible to paint them instead? I know that you can paint tiles but is it feasible on floor tiles? A google search brings up differing opinions so I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done this, with tips on what specifically to use.

Cheers,
    bobjim
    three words for you...off your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

wosheen wrote: »
    I saw some advice online saying you can do it and I HATED the sight of the tiles in my small bathroom but can't really afford to get it re-tiled..... so I went ahead and used a good white tile paint on the floor tiles in my bathroom. Yes I know a few people thought it was a great idea, others thought it was nuts, but I have to say it looks fantastic, really lifts the colour of the whole room and cost less than getting it retiled. The tile paint I used is Ronseal One-Coat Tile Paint, says it has a built-in sealant, but I looked for a urethane sealant anyway just to be sure and give it better longevity... unfortuantely the "clear" urethane sealant I tried has a bit of a tint as it's meant to be for sealing wood, so have to paint over the section I tested it on again. OH well, you learn from your mistakes. I'm thinking 3 coats of the tile paint might just do it?.....

Has anyone else had any success with painting floor tiles?? did you use a urethane sealant? And, regardless, can anyone recommend a truly "clear" urethane so I can put a few coats over the painted tiles?

You know it does exactly what it says on the tin....ie for wall tiles only. I figure the adverage floor is 4 square yards. That will cost about 80 euro for tiles. A tiler will charge about 150. Adhesives 40

So for 270 you would have a perfect floor. I reckon you will need to paint that floor once a year @ 50 euro a tin.....

Does it make sense now....
    three words for you...off your head!

Micheal, a bit harsh...Try explain why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

because of the amount of walking you do on that floor,WALL tile paint would not last a week.plus i wouldnt trust walking on them if they were painted and if theres condensation or water on the floor after a shower or bath.your only asking for trouble really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

People paint/varnish wooden floors all the time, so it is not so crazy.
    There is 'crystal clear' water based coating that can be got that is not supposed to go yellow. It is for timber, but this should be tough enough to walk on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Hey all - just FYI the painting of the floor tiles seems to have worked so far! 6 weeks into it and still looking pretty good.... agree however that for around 250 you can get it professionally re-tiled and perfect, but this has been a good stop-gap for me to get me past Christmas anyway!

Advertisement