Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Home Insurance

• 04-03-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

My home insurance is up for renewal. I was with BOI which is managed by RSA. Their quote was €543.

The usual suspects came back with about the same. Even 123.ie was €480 for a lesser policy. Allianz was the best then with €460 for equivalent cover.

Searched around a bit and looked at the examples on itsyourmoney. Went to GetCover.ie and their quote more than €200 less :eek::cool:. Read their policy in detail and rang them with some queries and all looks legit. Reports on some other forums all are good too. :D

I have absolutely no affiliation with any insurance company other than being a customer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Same happened to me last year was with Bank of Ireland for 10 years and renewal was €540, got more quotes and eventually went with Quinn who charged me €288 for the same policy, almost half the price !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for getcover.ie

They are underwritten by Lloyds of London. When I mentioned this to 123.ie at renewal time they were surprised to say the least. No way they could even get close to matching the getcover quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We went with www.getcover.ie as it was alot cheaper. It was only after buying that I really poured over the fine details of the policy and found larceny, which had been in our last policy, was not covered with getcover.ie. That is to say that if someone known or unknown to you comes into your property through an open door and steals something you are not covered for that loss. You are only covered for theft that's committed by entering your property by forceful or violent means.

Some policies will cover you for both types of theft and some will not.Just thought I'd mention it in case it might be important to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Same happened to me last year was with Bank of Ireland for 10 years and renewal was €540, got more quotes and eventually went with Quinn who charged me €288 for the same policy, almost half the price !!!!

Quinn do not do insurance! They just give you a piece of paper and take your money in return.

Ask anyone you has ever had to make a claim from Quinn, they are an utter nightmare.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My experience with BOI was actually good. The saved me over €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭georgem25

I found getcover to be very competitive and bought house insurance for my parents and myself through them.

FBD insurance were next lowest price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

I too recently changed from BOI managed by RSA ... my quote was €578 (after 10yrs with them) and an increase in excess to €500 (penality for 2yrs of consective personal damage claims , both sub €500) .... changed to FBD (declared my previous claims when requesting the quote and sent proof to them that both had been closed out with no further claims outstanding) and saved €149 ... never checked getcover.ie:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I work in insurance,doesnt matter who with,but what I will say is for people going for the cheaper insurers be 100% what you are buying before you buy.Saving 100 quid now could cost you a helluva lot more in the event of a claim.

Find out what excess's apply(value and on what).
    Find out whats covered under accidental damage.
    Are there exclusions on the cover ie flood damage.
    Are there higher excess's for certain claim types eg flooding or burst pipes.
    Find out what your public liability insurance covers you for.

Speaking from experience its only when people need to make a claim that they find out what they are covered for and what they thought they were covered for are 2 different things.

Advertisement