Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best French 3g provider?

• 04-03-2010 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm heading off to France tomorrow and i need to have internet access on my laptop to write my thesis while I'm away, does anyone know which network do the best prepaid 3g deal? I'm intending to connect my n95 to my laptop and use it that way. I know it's not really relevant to Ireland but i thought somebody might know or have some experience. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

For the price of a coffee McDonalds offer free wifi as do many other cafes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

There aren't too many pay as you go options in France as we have here. Most of them (Orange.fr) are done by time (i.e. you buy 4hrs per month) or they are only allowed off-peak (after 8pm).

I looked into it for holidays in France for the last 2 years and the best option I ended up with was to use an Irish Vodafone pay as you go SIM and use their 99c per day roaming data charge. It worked while tethered to a laptop via a Nokia E71. Some services don't work, eg streaming (listening to RTE radio) but email and web are fine.

As its pre-pay you can't arrive home to a large bill either.

You'll need ID (drivers licence will do) to get a French SIM, even pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Here's a link to a forum that gives info on data roaming in all European countries:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/europe/

Advertisement