Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fulham FA Cup 6th Round

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

More than happy to take them back to the lane for a replay. Id fancy us bigtime tbh. We really miss lennon in tight games like yesterdays, and defoe's movement and sharpness too. The 2 lads cant play together at all, although they both worked hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Jesus, we must watch different games you and I...

I thought apart from the error that they almost scored from BAE was solid, and I forgive him a slip up or two while he's getting back into the hang of things. Does he not get credit for tracking Zamora in the 1st half and getting the ball out from right in front of goals?

Pav suffered today because he didn't have Defoe to partner him, distracting the defence and leaving space for Pav to run into to. We were far too static with the two big men on the pitch, but of the two of them Pav is far better at finding positions for himself. I think today's game is another prime example of how we need to build a team that plays to our strengths, and adjust tactics as players come into/out of the team.

We badly need Lennon and Defoe fit.

how so? did you think modric was good today and it was a good game? modric was shocking - when he gave a rotten pass he just scratched his head rather then chasing back. you say "apart from the error that bae made that they nearly scored from" - if they had scored would you think he played so well then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mickman wrote: »
    how so? did you think modric was good today and it was a good game? modric was shocking - when he gave a rotten pass he just scratched his head rather then chasing back. you say "apart from the error that bae made that they nearly scored from" - if they had scored would you think he played so well then?

I think some of Modric's passing was sublime, but he did misplace quite a few. Not one of his better games I'll grant you, and that's twice he's played central and not pulled up trees. That said, it's a position he plays well at national level, so it's worth looking at options with him in the middle. I think he'd have done better with Defoe and Lennon on the field, we had very little pace to worry Fulham yesterday and they could comfortably double up on our danger men.

Palacios' passing was woeful at times and you thought he was superb...one example in the 2nd half summed it up perfectly, did wonderfully well to win a ball than passed straight to a Fulham player. Just sayin'.

As for BAE, of course I'd have criticised him for the error if it led to a goal, but I think you should look at his full 90 minutes to judge his performance, and on the balance of play he had a good game (as others have said as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have to say there where a few times yesterday I was thinking if that was bale at left back they'd of been in can't complain too much really thought Harry should of taken off crouch not pav my only grievence

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

0-0 was a fair result. Neither team deserved to win or lose.

I think we should beat Fulham in the replay at WHL. Won't be easy but I do fancy us to progress now.

My main criticism is that both our front men were far too static. We missed the pace of Defoe, as others have mentioned, and also the passing of Huddlestone.

• Advertisement

I think some of Modric's passing was sublime, but he did misplace quite a few. Not one of his better games I'll grant you, and that's twice he's played central and not pulled up trees. That said, it's a position he plays well at national level, so it's worth looking at options with him in the middle. I think he'd have done better with Defoe and Lennon on the field, we had very little pace to worry Fulham yesterday and they could comfortably double up on our danger men.

Palacios' passing was woeful at times and you thought he was superb...one example in the 2nd half summed it up perfectly, did wonderfully well to win a ball than passed straight to a Fulham player. Just sayin'.

As for BAE, of course I'd have criticised him for the error if it led to a goal, but I think you should look at his full 90 minutes to judge his performance, and on the balance of play he had a good game (as others have said as well).

yes others have said that bae was good, i accept that. i say that palacious was superb and his performance resulted in him getting man of the match!! he made clean tackles, didnt get booked - gave the ball away once that i can remember and was great in general. you say bae had a great game even though he almost gave away a goal that would have knocked us out of the fa cup, while you dont give wilson any credit even though he was man of the match

another little thing about BAE, the man cant cross the ball and has only leg. its actually scary how afraid he is of using his right leg, he nearly got caught with it and will in the future so i really dont know where all this praise is comin from. im not saying he is a bad player cos hes not but he aint great.

yes others have said that bae was good, i accept that. i say that palacious was superb and his performance resulted in him getting man of the match!! he made clean tackles, didnt get booked - gave the ball away once that i can remember and was great in general. you say bae had a great game even though he almost gave away a goal that would have knocked us out of the fa cup, while you dont give wilson any credit even though he was man of the match

I never said bae had a great game, i said he was solid apart from one error we've both acknowledged. In relation to Palacios, I made one comment about his passing, it is not his strong point and it never has been. I thought Wilson and Etuhu had very good games, as did the centre half partnerships for both sides, and any one of those six players could have won the MOTM award if I'm honest.

On the topic of BAE I consider him the best left back we have had in the side for a good long while. Tha's not to say we couldn't improve, but we could improve a lot of our squad, wouldn't you agree?

Actually, it's just struck me...where is your criticism of Corluka? Terminally slow, when he switches off he doesn't even have BAE's pace to compensate and recover the situation, and what about the sliced clearance at the end yesterday?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not singling you out, but I hear such biased criticism of benoit when others are guilty of the same and worse in games. It's baffling to be honest.

Have to say both charlie and bar are my two favourites delighted to see bar back :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, Porthsmouth in the quarters, assuming we beat Fulham in the return match. Definitely better then Villa or Chelsea.

If we do make it through ohara won't be able to play for them

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Kiith wrote: »
    So, Porthsmouth in the quarters, assuming we beat Fulham in the return match. Definitely better then Villa or Chelsea.

Even better than that, it's in the semis! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Looking good for the final if we can get past Fulham at the Lane. It's exactly the draw we wanted, couldn't have hoped for better.:)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

el diablo wrote: »
    Looking good for the final if we can get past Fulham at the Lane. It's exactly the draw we wanted, couldn't have hoped for better.:)

couldn't agree more. it's in our own hands now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good draw,what a big game that's going to be if we get past Fulham.:cool:

I never said bae had a great game, i said he was solid apart from one error we've both acknowledged. In relation to Palacios, I made one comment about his passing, it is not his strong point and it never has been. I thought Wilson and Etuhu had very good games, as did the centre half partnerships for both sides, and any one of those six players could have won the MOTM award if I'm honest.

On the topic of BAE I consider him the best left back we have had in the side for a good long while. Tha's not to say we couldn't improve, but we could improve a lot of our squad, wouldn't you agree?

indeed. i dont bother to mention corluka much to be honest as i dont rate him at all. as you say he has no pace and has cost us plenty goals this season. thats one area we need to sort out in the summer in my opinion.

i think bale is a better left back than ekotto, thats just what i think. i think what bale offers going forward more than makes up for what he lacks in defense. im not sure if i have ever seen ekotto put a tempting cross into the box, that is part of his duties as im sure you would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

indeed. i dont bother to mention corluka much to be honest as i dont rate him at all. as you say he has no pace and has cost us plenty goals this season. thats one area we need to sort out in the summer in my opinion.

i think bale is a better left back than ekotto, thats just what i think. i think what bale offers going forward more than makes up for what he lacks in defense. im not sure if i have ever seen ekotto put a tempting cross into the box, that is part of his duties as im sure you would agree.

dont mean to jump in here between you lads but i disagree with you here mick. since BAE has been injured bale has been exceptional, granted, but since he joined in 2007(maybe corrected here) and since BAE has joined maybe a year or 2 earlier BAE has been by far the more consistant and if not for injury(which led to the inevitable exclusion of african nations) bale would still be warming the bench.

anyway,

fulham at the lane---home win

pompey at wembley----have to fancy us despite their good form in this cup

yes thats true but its the here and now that im talking about. bale is a better left back than ekotto at present

yes thats true but its the here and now that im talking about. bale is a better left back than ekotto at present

Im just glad we have both, its been ages since we had a good left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

think BAE is a better defender but bale offers so much more to the team i.e. his attacking his crosses, pace, free kicks etc but i think his defending is a little ropey.

i agree hatch im gld we have both. nice head ache harry has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

keane=cock wrote: »
    think BAE is a better defender but bale offers so much more to the team i.e. his attacking his crosses, pace, free kicks etc but i think his defending is a little ropey.

i agree hatch im gld we have both. nice head ache harry has

sums it up for me as well. just a pity we don't have similar "problems" elsewhere!

yes i agree its great to have both. we have serious problems in midfield with the injuries. when wilson gets his next yellow and lets face it ,its when and not if what will we play

bale modric jenas kranjcar

yes i agree its great to have both. we have serious problems in midfield with the injuries. when wilson gets his next yellow and lets face it ,its when and not if what will we play

King Ledley could sit in there and do a job for 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hatch99 wrote: »
    King Ledley could sit in there and do a job for 90 mins.
    I dont think he has the mobility at all for midfield, id be worried hed be badly exposed if he was put there.He just cant run!

sure he is injured also!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is Jenas not injured too? Our other options when Palacios gets suspended are Rose, Livermore, Gudjohnsen and Kaboul.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is Jenas not injured too? Our other options when Palacios gets suspended are Rose, Livermore, Gudjohnsen and Kaboul.
    Rose is a winger very much in the mould of Lennon I'd say Livermore,Gudjohnsen for Fa cup and Kaboul is also an option for league games

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

see o'hara is hoping fulham beat us so he can play at wembley !!

with this cup run and replays - is it gonna disrupt the league , if we beat fulham the man city and arsenal games will have to be fitted in at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

any news on the replay date yet ?

Advertisement