Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on inside of Garden Shed Roof

• 04-03-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

As the title says.I have a 10Ft x 8Ft Wooden Garden Shed with a galvenised roof.It's relatively new (4 years).Covering the roof on the inside is a layer of plastic. The roof and rafters tend to weep with condensation quiet badly especially in the winter time.Does anybody know what maybe causing this and how can it be cured?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I cant help but Im in the exact same situation I think. I have a tile effect cladding roof & I noticed the other day that the rafters were wet and some small drips of water were noticeable. Could condensation cause this:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In this climate, you are going to get condensation on metal at low temperatures. You could have the underside of the metal sprayed with polyurethane foam, preventing damp air contacting the metal surface. A water proof membrane (felt) is the other option.

That isn't a very large roof, so alternatively you could replace the iron with a material a lot less likely to promote condensation, such as floorboards covered with bitumenised tiles or transparent Twin wall polycarbonate.

There are also corrugated sheets of transparent polycarbonate. I saw some in Woodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

What about lining the inside of the roof with the white sheets of insulation foam that's used between bricks when a house is been built?
    Would that cure it I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

There must be a small amount of heat in your shed and this is creating hot air. When this hot air meets the cold air by travelling up through the uninsulated roof its creates these water droplets.
    This is called cold bridging and it occurs when warm moist air meets the freezing air we have o/s at the moment.
    You need to insulate the roof with some sort of insulation.
    This will probably cure itself when the temperature rises o/s.
    I hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I planned on putting some insulation up so hopefully it sorts it. Thanks for the info:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

That will work just be sure to leave no gaps for the warm air to get through. It will probably will probably sort itself out anyway once the cold weather finishes but i suppose you will need it for next year :)

Advertisement