Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Finger Death Punch - Saviours or Copycats?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

There's been a lot of talk for the last 2 years about Five Finger Death Punch. I have to say that I only got into them a few months ago and completely missed all this "hype hype" bull**** that they stick in Metal Hammer. I'd heard the name but ignored MH telling me what to listen to.

I don't have a problem with them, as such, but it just sounds to be like they're a cross between a Pantera tribute band and a lighter solo project of Maynard James Keenan. They're great, and it's nice to see a young band sounding like that, but are they really the "saviours" of the scene?

When I'm listening to 'Far From Home' I'm thinking 'This Love' and their acoustic stuff (or the acoustic version of Bleeding they did) sounds like TOOL....I have to say though I respect their Faith No More and Bad Company covers, they're both well done, and not butchered in the slightest. It's natural these guys would have grown up in the early 90s, classic B&B era, where we had some great Metal...but still, do they have to emulate their heroes by sounding EXACTLY like them

What do you guy's think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I never heard the new album, I only heard the first about a year or so ago, only because I was into the singer Ivan moodys old bands.

They come across as very tongue in cheek to me, I couldn't take them seriously. They're kinda cheesy or something. "The bleeding" probably being their best track, I'm a big fan of his voice, if you like it you should check his old bands theyre a lot better. Ghost machine, and his first band Motograter.

motograter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Saviours - No
    Copycats - Probably
    A load of over rated **** - most definitly.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Hi Motley Crue,have their first album and have no problems with it.Your question" Copycats or Saviours",whereas we can see that they're heavily influenced by Pantera and the likes,begs another question"Saviours of what"?If its HM,then i doubt it.Highly unlikely that one band could save an entire movement.On that note,what are your thoughts on the so called NWOTHM? Can these bands be the saviours?(White Wizzard-Enforcer-Steelwing etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I can't really take them seriously. I just consider them a simple cheesy fun band. Like in the song Way of the Fist: "Zoltan! Open the Sky!" which goes into a little guitar solo. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Personally I see them as a more watered down version of Lamb of God, but then that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Saviours - No
    Copycats - Probably
    A load of over rated **** - most definitely.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Some of the lyrics are a bit stupid 'Ill hit you so hard youll think youve kissed a freight train'

Their tone pi$ses my off a bit, its not great on the riffs.

Some of the songs are boring chugga chugga chugga .....................................

However, they are still in their infancy and if even one of them had the sense to realise that they need to cut the cheesy sh1t and get a better tone we would deffo be getting places.

Zolten seems like a stubborn pr1ck to me though so I can see the same ol being churned out for the next few albums.

It is worth noting however that some of the best bands took afew albums to find their sound and their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Saviours - No
    Copycats - Probably
    A load of over rated **** - most definitly.

Yeah I definitely agree. They just sound very boring to my ears, and the guitar sound and riffs are pretty boring as well. It just shocks me how many crap metal bands these days Metal Hammer raves on about. I really don't see what all the hype is about this band , they sound very generic and mediocre.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Some of the lyrics are a bit stupid 'Ill hit you so hard youll think youve kissed a freight train'

Their tone pi$ses my off a bit, its not great on the riffs.

Some of the songs are boring chugga chugga chugga .....................................

However, they are still in their infancy and if even one of them had the sense to realise that they need to cut the cheesy sh1t and get a better tone we would deffo be getting places.

Zolten seems like a stubborn pr1ck to me though so I can see the same ol being churned out for the next few albums.

It is worth noting however that some of the best bands took afew albums to find their sound and their feet.

I also agree that the tone/guitar sound is pretty boring and tiresome. When it comes to metal I'm an old schooler all the way, thats probably why I just don't get these new metal bands at all. Give me Iron Maiden, Immortal, Bathory, Emperor, Megadeth, Darkthrone, Hypocrisy and Amorphis any day over these new bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Denny M wrote: »
    Personally I see them as a more watered down version of Lamb of God, but then that's just me.
    That bad then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Isaacunt

There not that bad, they do have a unique sound. But I think they need to portray there music a little more grown up, I have to agree there lyrics are something a teenager would wright.
    Clean up the lyrics and dont try so hard to be tuff and heavy...like Frankie said....RELAX!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Saviours? NO
    Copycats? Probably..

but I do like the music tbf, sounds like a mixture of pantera and LOG as mentioned earlier on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

On that note,what are your thoughts on the so called NWOTHM? Can these bands be the saviours?(White Wizzard-Enforcer-Steelwing etc..)

It's interesting you should mention that because I can remember around 2004 having a cover of Metal Hammer which read "saviours of music, the NWOAHM" and referred to bands like Shadow's Fall, Chimaira, God Forbid and Killswitch who were all producing extremely well received (even if not good) albums at that stage.

It used to be we had defining bands of a generation - 70s were Bad Company, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden - 80s were Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax - 90s were Guns N' Roses, Faith No More, Korn....Nu Metal kinda ****ed everything up, because I've apparently lived through about 4 generations in the last 10 years....the NWOAHM, NWOTHM and Nu Metal etc

These Journalists wanna sell the magazines and they all wanna be like Mick Wall in a way and have his experiences, so they coin phrases and bring these bands together and start to say it's a golden age for music...when Chimaira and Shadows Fall become disposable (and by the way, they're still touring and producing great music but not given HALF the attention they used to be) the label looses interest in them and they asked to be removed of any contract because they know the label is just focusing on it's next biggest thing...

To answer your question I'm not sure if any band in the 2010s can be a saviour, at least any band that exposes themselves into the public light for the first couple of years (wins countless useless awards from magazines) and is told they're going to be the next Metallica and the next Slayer

Newsflash, Metallica and Slayer had to work for their bread, and just like David Bowie, Queen, Bob Dylan, The Beatles and countless other artists both related and non related their first few albums went either virtually ignored or they didn't contain a hit that was long since remembered. However, what they did contain, was the basis for a group who grew away for the public spotlight and then when they did strike it big they had a back catalogue to support them....

Advertisement