Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to learn to drive a motor cycle.

• 04-03-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

Tried using the RSA's site and it is AWFUL. One the worst websites I have ever come across, the 1890 LoCall number is also terrible

all I need is some basic info.

1: I have taken and passed a theory test before for a Car. (in 2003 I think)
    Do I need to sit the theory test for a bike? (I now have a full driving license for car for 5+ Years)

2: Is the Difference between A and A1? I cannot find this info on the Site.

3: What is the waiting time for a Bike test (no problem finding the car waiting times, couldn't find the bike one though)

Thanks
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

1. Yeah its a different theory test for the bike, so you need to do another.

2. A1 will mean you can only have a bike up to 125cc and can't have a side car and that sort of thing. Its an absolute waste of time.

3. You will have to wait minimum of six months after you get your learner licence before you can even apply.

Also just so you know, you cant carry a pillion while a learner and are meant to wear a hi vis with a learner yoke on it. while a learner your engine size will be restricted too.

Darran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

6 months! OMG!

lol

On a restricted bike what would be the insurance figure for a 26 year old male living in Dublin 5 (ball park figure)

when you say restricted, what does that mean?
    restrict bhp?
    restrict torque?
    restrict top speed?

etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ADI34722

grahambo wrote: »
    Tried using the RSA's site and it is AWFUL. One the worst websites I have ever come across, the 1890 LoCall number is also terrible

all I need is some basic info.

1: I have taken and passed a theory test before for a Car. (in 2003 I think)
    Do I need to sit the theory test for a bike? (I now have a full driving license for car for 5+ Years)

2: Is the Difference between A and A1? I cannot find this info on the Site.

3: What is the waiting time for a Bike test (no problem finding the car waiting times, couldn't find the bike one though)

Thanks
    G.
    +1 the licence you will be going for is the A restricted licence. You can drive just about any size engine but it will need to be under 25KWs or 0.16KW per kg. All very technical but the reg cert will have all details on it. If you want something more powerful like a CBR or GSXR that come factory standard over power then you will need to get a limiter fitted. Please be aware that Garda cars with those new licence plate reading camaras can tell which bikes are legal and which are not.

Once you pass your test the engine restrictions are still in place for 2 years.

You have to wear a Hi Viz jacket with an L plate displayed front and back while riding and the usual restrictions apply like no motorway driving etc...

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Thanks for the Info Guys

So I'm looking at 2 and a half years in total?

Are the restrictors easy to turn off? IE for Track days etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

**EDIT** Seems I'll have to stop writing long replies - people go there before me :) ** END EDIT **

Just a slight correction on the 6 months. Its a 6 month wait from the date of your Permit to the date of the test - you can apply at any stage once you get the Learner Permit.

Given the fact you have a full car licence for 5 years you must be over 18 and therefore forget the A1 licence and go straight to the A.

The restriction on the learner permit is an area that always causes confusion due to the way it is phrased. Basically there are 2 parts to the restriction :

1. Power Restriction of 33bhp (25kW) - you will find the power output of any bike in the technical specs and even if it is above the 33bhp then it can be 'restricted' to 33bhp and therefore become learner legal.

2. Power to weight ratio of 0.21 bhp/kg (0.16 kW/kg) - this again can be found on the bikes tech specs (or calculated based on the power and the weight).

Depending of who you talk to you the bike needs to meet one or both of these conditions. The 1st is obvious enough - you cant go out and buy a litre sports bike on a learner permit and drive unrestricted. The 2nd condition is to prevent you buying a small light sports bike which has a high power-to-weight even though the engine is only 250cc etc.

Personally I believe the requirement is to comply with ONE of these conditions (you will get other people who disagree!!) Therefore to comply with condition 2 you could buy for example a cruiser type bike which are typically heavy and therefore have a low power-to-weight ratio even though their power output is > 33 bhp.

The most important point is there is no link to the actual cc of the bike - some people will tell you you can only get a 250cc bike or less on a learner permit - this is incorrect.

As for the insurance quotes - best bet is to pick a bike and ring there are only a few insurance companies doing bike insurance in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

DriveSkill wrote: »
    **EDIT** Seems I'll have to stop writing long replies - people go there before me :) ** END EDIT **

Just a slight correction on the 6 months. Its a 6 month wait from the date of your Permit to the date of the test - you can apply at any stage once you get the Learner Permit.

Given the fact you have a full car licence for 5 years you must be over 18 and therefore forget the A1 licence and go straight to the A.

The restriction on the learner permit is an area that always causes confusion due to the way it is phrased. Basically there are 2 parts to the restriction :

1. Power Restriction of 33bhp (25kW) - you will find the power output of any bike in the technical specs and even if it is above the 33bhp then it can be 'restricted' to 33bhp and therefore become learner legal.

2. Power to weight ratio of 0.21 bhp/kg (0.16 kW/kg) - this again can be found on the bikes tech specs (or calculated based on the power and the weight).

Depending of who you talk to you the bike needs to meet one or both of these conditions. The 1st is obvious enough - you cant go out and buy a litre sports bike on a learner permit and drive unrestricted. The 2nd condition is to prevent you buying a small light sports bike which has a high power-to-weight even though the engine is only 250cc etc.

Personally I believe the requirement is to comply with ONE of these conditions (you will get other people who disagree!!) Therefore to comply with condition 2 you could buy for example a cruiser type bike which are typically heavy and therefore have a low power-to-weight ratio even though their power output is > 33 bhp.

The most important point is there is no link to the actual cc of the bike - some people will tell you you can only get a 250cc bike or less on a learner permit - this is incorrect.

As for the insurance quotes - best bet is to pick a bike and ring there are only a few insurance companies doing bike insurance in ireland.

+1

Correct and right on the applying before the six months are up.

Yeah i agree with just ringing an insurance company and saying you have your provisional and a bike you want and getting the quote. Try a few places and dont be put off by stupid quotes, just try elsewhere. I was quoted 1600 by one place and then 700 by another. So dont let it put you off.

Darran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ADI34722 wrote: »
    Please be aware that Garda cars with those new licence plate reading camaras can tell which bikes are legal and which are not.

The ANPR can only tell if a vehicle is taxed at the moment. They can also tag a vehicle if it's suspected of a being involved in a crime or stolen.

They have no linkage to the insurance database(s) and they have no idea what licence the rider has. No idea where you heard these lies.

Advertisement