Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums in an apartment?

Options
  • 04-03-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

I am moving from a house into an apt and want to bring my drumkit... just wondering if anyone has had any problems with neighbours over noise etc..???

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Unless you're in some super soundproof apartment, which I've never heard of in Ireland then you're really going to annoy your neighbours, above, below and beside you. I can hear televisions, hairdryers etc from my neighbours. I can only imagine how noisey a drumkit would be.

Any option to move into another house instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You will get dragged out by your hair and a snare drum inserted in your rectum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferret81

Hmmm I don't fancy a snare drum inserted into my rectum... looked for a house in the area but couldn't find any that suited us all. So it looks like the drum kit goes home then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Get some mesh practice heads dude. Works a treat and are pretty inexpensive

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

yeah - to be brutally honest, if you and your drumkit moved in next door to me, I'd do everything I could to have you evicted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Get some mesh practice heads dude. Works a treat and are pretty inexpensive

Mesh heads, or if money will allow an electronic kit like the Roland TD4 (or better). Added advantage of taking up a lot less space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, forget about it. You simply will not be able to play your drums in an apartment unless you know specific times when your neighbours - above, below, on either side - will be out. Highly unlikely. Many people in Irish apartments can hear their neighbours toilets flush, so drums are simply not going to work. At least, they wouldn't have done in just about any apartment I've ever lived in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

When I was growing up, there was a lad on my estate who had a drumkit for a while. He ended up having to reach an arrangement about when he could practice because it was fecking noisy. And that was in a bog standard 70s estate where you didn't hear much from next door, not the cardboard houses they build now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

F-Stop wrote: »
    Mesh heads, or if money will allow an electronic kit like the Roland TD4 (or better). Added advantage of taking up a lot less space too.

Housemate has one of these, and while its not as bad as a real drum kit, youll hear it from the road outside the house, despite his claims of 'its completely silent'. Bit of an annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I wouldn't even go there. Drums are pretty loud unless you've some serious soundproofing in place.

Not as annoying as bad guitarists though. I am all for publicly inserting the entire instrument up their rear ends with the aid of a mallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd like to second the solution of an electronic drum kit.

It does still make some noise - I had a housemate at one point who had one. He worked nights... between the constant "tapping" and his other habits I nearly went on a killing spree. But I don't think you could hear it outside of the apartment. Just - be considerate of your housemates!

It definitely takes up less space. And it packs up smaller as well - easier for moving.

Advertisement