Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irregular Periods

Options
  • 04-03-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I dont think this is a medical question but if mods disagree then feel free to delete.

I have always had irregular periods, for example my last was in November and still waiting! I have been on the pill for 4 years (mainly for this reason) but had forgotten it the first few days in november so just said I would give it a break til the next period. But still waiting.

Anyway was at the doc on Tuesday for another reason and mentioned this to her. She done a pregnancy test (negative) and is going to send me for a ultrasound but this can take up to 9 months as I cannot afford it privately. Just wondering has anyone been in the situation and managed to concieve fairly easily? I know everyone is different just wondering basically.

I am not TTC but hope to in the next 5 years. There are fertility problems in the family (aunt couldnt have kids and cousin had a lot of problems) so it is a concern.

Anyone any advice? Do you know how much an ultrasound is private?

Thanks guys..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think I paid about 120 euro for a private scan in the Beacon in Sandyford because of irregular periods.

No problems with conceiving thank god. Hopefully you'll be fine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for telling me, I cant afford that, just very broke at the minute but maybe in a few months I will get it done private. Madness waiting 9 months for a scan.

Hopefully its nothing to worry about but would rather I know now so can try and do something about and not wait til I want to concieve and find out I cant.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

Hi Newbie,

I had the exact same problem as you've mentioned. I was on the Pill for a number of years to regulate my period and in hindsight it was not the best course of action as it only concealed the real problem for me. Had I not taken the pill, I would have realised that my periods were irregular for a reason... My reason was that I had PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and also a Tyroid condition (Overactive Thyroid and Underactive, it varied with treatment) both of which affect your menstrual cycle. I didn't know these things and spent 5 yrs worrying that I was infertile. When I did get diagnosed and treated, it took a while but My daughter is two this month and I've just discovered I'm pregnant after only a few months without contraception. So don't loose hope, it might be something completely treatable like my condition, but the earlier you find out the less time you waste worrying... I would suggest you voice your concerns to your Doctor, if you are ok to wait the 9 mths for the scan (which surely won't be that long, I was only waiting 3 mths or so) , well and good, but if you would rather know for sure, just scrape the money together as you will feel much better once you know right or wrong what is actually wrong with you.

Thanks so much for that, it is on my mind a lot so I will see if we can scrap the money together. But then if anything has to be done do I have to pay for the treatment if I get the scan done private? What if I signed up to VHI now would it cover straight away?? Confused..

Congrats BTW that is brilliant news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

If you sign up for VHI now before you are diagnosed with anything they should cover it, but if you are diagnosed first and then sign up they won't cover existing ailments for a certain period of time, (you'll have to check the exact details with whoever you join). I didn't have health insurance when I was first diagnosed but I never had to pay anything either, I used to go to James's hosp every 3 mths but it was all covered by PRSI. I never received a bill for any of my consultations. However you will be billed if you go privately but your medical insurance should refund (mine is 50%) some of the bill. Best of all, being pregnant actually stabalised my thyroid and it hasn't been an issue since.

Also I know its easier said than done, trust me if someone had said the same to me I'd think the same but honestly if you can at all, try not to worry too much about it and it will just happen when you least expect it to. I had this same conversation with a girl I knew in work and she was pregnant within a few months as soon as she took her mind off it and focused on being positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I was in a similar position as you, I was on the pill for 7 years and when I came off the pill I didn't have a period for nearly 8 months.... I was about 1 &1/2 stones over weight also at the time.

After a slight change of diet & regular exercise, my periods came back to normal.

While there is a chance that you might have PCOS - you should give your body a chance to recover from being on the pill for so long. And also to look at your entire health picture.

Hi All,

I have just had my scan (only took 5 months!) and was told here was no sign of PCOS so am happy with that. Maybe it is just because of the pill. Waiting on my doc to ring me back to see if she thinks anything else needs to be done.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Pinklady828282

Hi Newbie :)

God i know how frustrating irregular periods are! Mine were maybe 2/3 a year and have finally got them down to every 42 days - not too great but MUCH better than before :)

Can i just say why dont you visit your GP & get him/her to put you on Metformin (google it!!!)

It has worked wonders for me . .

Still TTC ( but thats another story!) but have a think about it, google Metformin (brand name Glucophage) & have a chat with your GP

You need to find out WHY you are not getting your periods - for me its PCOS - that way you can work around it & try fix the problem

All the best xxxx

Thanks for the reply!

I got talking to my doctor after I posted up. She is sending me to see a gynecologist to see if there is anything they can do for me.

She is gonna send my blood results and my scan report when she gets it. She thinks its just from coming off the pill so will have to wait and see.

And yes its so frustrating, I'm not TTC but do hope to have kids in the future. I'm only 26 but by the time I get to 30 we will hopefully be in the right place for them if we can have them! Just hate the worry of it, its constantly on my mind.

Hope everything works out for you.

Just a quick update..still no period and no appointment yet. Its so frustrating. Rang my doctor 2 months ago to make sure she had requested the appointment for me, said she had and gave me the number to call the hospital to confirm they had the request. No answer and no reply to voicemails.

Doctor has now gone on maternity leave! Its so annoying waiting and not knowing.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

well i seen the gyno 3 weeks ago, put me on tabs for two weeks to bring my period which I got on Friday. Have to go get bloods taken on D3 & D21. Also getting a HSG done on D7. Am so scared with all this. Anyone got any advice on the HSG?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi newbie

I camd of the pill two years ago and have only ever had 3 periods since Nd all of them where brought.on by the drug proverA.

All my hormone bloods, u/s normal and d21 bloods showed no ovulation even on a high dose of clomid.
    I had the HSG done in sept... I was freaking out about it all but it really isnt that bad. Take neurofen a hour before and just stay calm. Think of it as a smear. The whole idea freaks me out and it really is the fear of the unknown. My pain threshold isnt high but it really wasnt that soar. Try and remember they do this all the time.

I have to go back in march having lost weight to start on injections and.IUI.

Advertisement