Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers Ireland offers free Honours Maths Grinds

Options
  • 04-03-2010 3:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi All,

To celebrate World Maths Day yesterday, Engineers Ireland are offering free maths grinds to honours maths students in the run up to the leaving certificate in June.

The grinds will run every Saturday from 13th March until the 8th May subject to demand.

The lectures will kick off at 11am until 2pm. Students should bring their maths text books and leaving cert past papers with them plus pen and paper for notes.

Please note that there will be no lecture run on the 3rd April as it is Easter Saturday.

The lecturer will be Tim Joyce, a Chartered Engineer and a guest lecturer to final year engineering students in NUI Galway and UCD.

The lectures will be webcast live from our website every Saturday and can be viewed at your leisure.

If you wish to attend please register here as seating is limited.

Best of luck,

Engineers Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Thanks, sending an email now!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I guess we don't have to sign up just to view the lectures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

just registered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Do people who register know their names are being published on the engineers website? Isn't there some data protection thing against that?

i know, don't really mind tbh, but you have a good point

• Advertisement

Crow92 wrote: »
    i know, don't really mind tbh, but you have a good point

yeah a name on its own is nothing but when you link it to a boards.ie username...well things could get interesting. Having a look at my own previous postings before I think about registering haha

EDIT: Just realised there's 1,528. Think I'll just skip it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pathway33 wrote: »
    Do people who register know their names are being published on the engineers website? Isn't there some data protection thing against that?

Yeah, that's a bit odd.

I mean this is a very nice idea in general, and fair play to Engineers Ireland for being pro-active on the whole Hons Maths issue, but I'm pretty sure that publishing a list of those registered on the website without specific permission from the individuals is a bit dicey ... unless there was some box to tick when ye signed up saying that ye were ok with it?

a bit dicey ...

Yes. Very likely to be names of some minors too. Mmmm.... I love the smell of money ;). I think college fees covered for the next 4 years should ease the distress of registerees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

EngIreland wrote: »
    The lecturer will be Tim Joyce, a Chartered Engineer and a guest lecturer to final year engineering students in NUI Galway and UCD.

48% of maths teachers at second level unqualified
    The Teaching Council of Ireland would count this distinguished lecturer as unqualified to teach maths at second level.

I say this with extreme prejudice towards the Teaching Council.

pathway33 wrote: »
    Do people who register know their names are being published on the engineers website?

List of names is gone. I must have imagined the whole thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

They fixed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

It's so unfair, how come everything is always in Dublin, it isnt fair to the rest of the country, just because we live in the middle of nowhere why do our grades have to suffer, ye Dubliners get all the help ye need! ( no personal offence intended, its just so frustrating!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭EngIreland

Hi all,

Please see following instructions for those who will be viewing the grinds on the website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To log in to the live webcast, visit the following link after 10.40am GMT (the event will not be open to attendees until then):

https://engineersireland.webex.com/engineersireland/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=849542172

Please note each event will have a different URL. Check the event calendar to view upcoming events.

1. Click on the Join link, to the right of the event name and enter:
    • First name
    • Last name
    • Email address
    • Password – March13 (cAsE sensitive)
    • Click Join Now

2. Click Yes/OK/Install to any security warnings received while the necessary software installs on your machine. Please be patient while it loads.

3. Select Yes to the pop-up box to join the VoIP conference.

4. Adjust the volume control in the volume window. Check that your computer speakers or headphones are powered on and turned up.

5. Use the WebEx toolbar on the lower right of the screen to:
    • request technical assistance (using the Chat applet)
    • turn on/off the video window
    • submit questions
    • exit the full screen view

To test your system compatibility prior to the event, which can now be viewed live on iphone, visit http://www.webex.com/lp/jointest/.

If you are having difficulty accessing the event, visit http://www.engineersireland.com/services/web-tv/support/ for support information and the 24/7 customer care numbers.

To view and download our archive of event presentations, visit http://www.engineersireland.com/services/web-tv/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

Does anyone know what buses go near it by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CosmicLove wrote: »
    Does anyone know what buses go near it by any chance?

The 4 is probably the most frequent, though it's not a huge walk from town. If getting the 4 from town, get off at the American embassy and Clyde Road is more or less behind that.

22 Clyde Road can be serviced by the #46a, the #10 and or the #4 buses.

Google map of where Engineers Ireland is - with bus stops close by on Pembroke Road or Morehampton road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

I'm not able to get the maths grinds on that website. I followed the instructions but it's not helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

how did the enigneers get on teaching leaving certs yesterday...was it any good?

I thought it was good, he didnt go into a and particular subject, he told us some history, some simple mistakes and simple methods people don't use or forget, he seems to know his stuff, and he said he'll be starting to focus more next week, well worth the 45 min cycle in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Does anyone know how to access the grinds webcast on the site to review the session from Saturday?

• Advertisement

Last Saturday's grind is now available to view in our Engineers TV section

Dont forget to register for next Saturday's lecture - 20th March at 11am, if you wish to be in attendance.

Those who will be viewing online, do not need to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

Do we have to register ever week to attend, or because I registered last week my name is automatically there for the remaining weeks?

I just emailed your man there asking the same question, i'll tell you when he replies

Cheers man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Was last saturday good ? I heard it was but he waffled abit too much.. ? I couldn't go last week but have re-registered for sat :D

Yeh yer man was pretty good, showed us some little tricks to help with questions, but he said he is starting seriously this week, going into detail and stuff....
    Did you get asked to buy a €400 ticket for some dinner when you re-registered? It kept coming up for me and wouldn't let me register again?

tehPOK wrote: »
    Did you get asked to buy a €400 ticket for some dinner when you re-registered? It kept coming up for me and wouldn't let me register again?

Yeah that happened when i tried to register me & a friend together at once, just do it seperatly and i dosen't come up..:)

Cheers it worked :) see ya there.

tehPOK wrote: »
    Cheers it worked :) see ya there.

Yup, il be the realllyy small blonde girl in the corner looking confused...:confused:

• Advertisement

Haha i hope he decideds to ask you a random question so, then i can go...ah... boards :D

Advertisement