Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BOI laser Card - Smaller Chip

Options
  • 04-03-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Last week I lost my BOI Laser card so I had to order a new one. received it today. I noticed that ther chip in this one is much smaller than in the old one. Does anyone know why this is? Is it new technology or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

post from sept 2007 on askaboutmoney ""Why is there always problems with AIB lazer cards?" the answer is that a few thousand lazer cards were issued with a smaller chip than on previous cards. This was causing some credit card terminals to reject them. Im having similar problems with ATM machines with the lazer. I when I try to withdraw money from an ATM it keeps giving me Incorrect pin entered even though my card actually works with the pin I have when Im at the bank."

I'm sure these issues are resolved. And the reason for the smaller chip? It's just a technological update. same amount of information stored on a smaller area.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Would it not make more sense for the banks to test the technology before impletmenting it to make sure it works everywhere. Then they can fix any problems before released the newer chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

maybe it's to do with future contactless technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Redmen Rule OK

pyzon wrote: »
    maybe it's to do with future contactless technology.

Smaller Chips contain the same processing capabilty as the bigger chips, but sometimes the contact plate in the retailer's terminal is not aligned to actually touch the chip and therefore the chip cannot be read and recognised by the terminal.

Contactless capability is not affected by the size of the chip because the chip is not used to make 'contact' hence 'contactless' technology. The payment in contactless technology is made with NFC capability. Below is the explanation from the NFC Forum website.

'Near Field Communication (NFC) is a new, short-range wireless connectivity technology that evolved from a combination of existing contactless identification and interconnection technologies. Products with built-in NFC will dramatically simplify the way consumer devices interact with one another, helping people speed connections, receive and share information and even make fast and secure payments.'

Advertisement