Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Westport

• 04-03-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am heading to Westport the week after next from Dublin (its actually closer to Achill Island were I am going) and I was just wondering what the best route to take in the car would be. Also how long would it take and would I be better of travelling by train.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Straight up N4 and turn off to N5. Thats it.

Less than 3.5hrs
    billyhead wrote:
    would I be better of travelling by train

only if you want to drink while travelling. The only reason to get the train to Westport :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Take the road to Newport from Castlebar if your heading towards Achill btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone tried driving from Dublin to Westport via the new extended motorway to Galway? I'm considering giving it a go to see if its any quicker than the normal N5/N4 route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Has anyone tried driving from Dublin to Westport via the new extended motorway to Galway? I'm considering giving it a go to see if its any quicker than the normal N5/N4 route?

I've done the motorway as far as beyond Athlone, and then towards Roscommon, took slightly less time than going the M4/N5 route because you don't have to go near Longford town, and the roads were empty :)

I don't think going all the way to Galway would be worth it, but I havent tried. I did do Leixlip -> Galway in under 1hr30mins though so it depends on the Galway-Westport roads/traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

actually considering Dublin - Galway is now about 90 mins I would revise the 3.5 hrs down a good bit, 2h 45 maybe??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

M50 - Galway City Edge is 90mins, not centre to centre, and then you gotta grind over to the Headford Road and then North through Headford which means it would be around 3 hours total to Castlebar in fairness.

2:45 at night and outside the evening rush hour in Galway.

At this time of year you spend a LOT of time (4:15 to 5:15pm at least) driving into a low and strong sun which is best done on a Motorway where being glared out of it is not so lethal. Same in the mornings around 9 heading east.

Advertisement