Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tape Worms

• 04-03-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

A friend of mine is a real C.T. Buff and alot of what he tells me makes sense, however in the course of a conversation over lunch he put forward a theory to me that Tape Worms are actually aliens, he thinks this because they live in hosts and he thinks they could be from another planet sent here to spy on the human race, I'm not saying i believe him or that i dont believe him but i think it would be good to get a few other opinions on it, any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

As far as I'm aware, we are not from this planet orginally.
    So in part your friend is correct.But the spy part is way; way, way out past cookoo land. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

so what planet are we from originally??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

How should I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

because you said that as far as you were aware we were not from this planet!

conventional wisdom says that we are, so what wisdom tells you we are from another place, and which place is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Get a new friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

I dont actually no why he thinks they could be spying on us, i think its more the fact they live in host bodys that makes him think they could be,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

summerskin wrote: »
    because you said that as far as you were aware we were not from this planet!

conventional wisdom says that we are, so what wisdom tells you we are from another place, and which place is it?

It's been proposed that life was seeded on the early Earth by comets. He may be talking about that idea rather than suggesting that humans were transplanted here from another planet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

As for the tape worms are aliens idea, that's a new one to me. Just because something lives in a host doesn't mean it's an alien. Parasites are quite common in the animal kingdom since parasitism happens to be a pretty successful strategy.

Did he propose what reason the aliens could possibly have for spying on us? What information, besides our poor diet are the worms gleaning from our lower intestines. Any alien civilization which has mastered interstellar travel would have absolutely nothing of value to learn from us, and we would be not be a threat to them on any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

digme wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, we are not from this planet orginally.
    So in part your friend is correct.But the spy part is way; way, way out past cookoo land. :)

Not a lot further past cuckoo land than us being from another planet is.

OP, Tapeworms are parasites, and do need to live in a host body. Tapeworms are not specific to humans either, they start off in humans, pass into cows, then may be eaten by another human. It is their life-cycle.

There are many other forms of parasites. It doesn't mean they are alien. It is just how they survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Obviously it makes sense for a species adapted to living in Earth based hosts to have evolved on another planet </sarc>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A littlen less of the piss-taking, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kepti wrote: »
    It's been proposed that life was seeded on the early Earth by comets. He may be talking about that idea rather than suggesting that humans were transplanted here from another planet.
    Which isn't actually all that insane, however it is adding an additional layer of complexity in that it doesn't answer the "how did the first life start" question and it requires a number of very specific things to have gone right in order for that extraterrestrial life to be transplanted to earth.

That is, if it's possible (going by that theory) that life started elsewhere, then it's equally likely that life could have started on earth, given just how favourable conditions are here on earth for life. However since the Panspermia theory also requires that the first life was able to withstand whatever removed it from its origin, travel through space (which is not favourable to life) and survive an impact on earth, then it seems more likely that life started here on earth.
    As for the tape worms are aliens idea, that's a new one to me. Just because something lives in a host doesn't mean it's an alien. Parasites are quite common in the animal kingdom since parasitism happens to be a pretty successful strategy.
    Indeed. Since we're also well versed in tapeworm biology and paeleontology, in order for it to be alien, it would have to be a biological spying agent constructed specifically so that its existence is consistent with the evolution of life on our planet and fits perfectly into the taxonomical system.

Or to put it another way: If tapeworms didn't evolve on Earth, then someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble to make it appear like they did. So they couldn't be an alien species of themselves because an alien species wouldn't fit into the evolutionary tree of earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

Who's to say that an 'intelligent' species had to put something on earth. Take a look at this plANET:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/16/s...ery/index.html

Now take a look at this little fellow:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Here's the important bit but worth a read:
    Quote:

Some can survive temperatures of -273°C, close to absolute zero,[5] temperatures as high as 151 °C (303 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals such as humans,[6] almost a century without water [7], and even the vacuum of space.[8

Now if a creature like that can live in practically any natural environment we can replicate on earth then it could easily be bountyful on another planet.
    If it was just floating around in space would it get burnt up entering an atmosphere or does that only happen to large objects travelling at high speeds?

have no idea what he thinks they could be learning about from the intestine, he thinks the information documented on tape worms is a cover up hence why i posted this in C.T. Forum. I think(Correct me if i'm wrong) tape worms come from undercooked meat i tried to explain this to him but he's convinced, he has alot of strange theories about NWO cover ups based on human eye sight etc, but this one about tape worms made very little sense and he had no reason to believe it or evidence to back it up just wanted to no had anyone else ever heard anything about it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I think your friend start looking into some conspiracies (real) and overloaded his brain, now he's suspecting everything and anything and making things up as he goes along, tell him to stay away from them and the net for a while, he may be reading dis-info sites and just believing everything that's presented to him.
    Don't tell him about here:D, joking.

I wont be i think this is the last thing he needs :D
    alot of his other ideas make sense so maybe he's not totally paranoid yet!! I hope!!
    Another thing he told me that i find strange is that humans can only see in certain colours and he thinks their could be ufo's in the skies all the time and we cant see them because their not made in one of the colours humans can see he does however believe dogs can see these crafts!! :P
    actually brings me to the question are dogs colour blind??

If there were UFO's in the skies all the time, why would they need tapeworms to spy on us?

Good point must ask him that tonite,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I am not in any way taking the p1ss, but I am genuinely concerned that your friend could have psychiatric issues if he genuinely believes what he is saying.

He is very paranoid about alot of things but he's harmless think he just needs a girlfriend or a job that will get him off the net, :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Who's to say that an 'intelligent' species had to put something on earth. Take a look at this plANET:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/16/s...ery/index.html

Now take a look at this little fellow:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Here's the important bit but worth a read:
    Quote:

Some can survive temperatures of -273°C, close to absolute zero,[5] temperatures as high as 151 °C (303 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals such as humans,[6] almost a century without water [7], and even the vacuum of space.[8

Now if a creature like that can live in practically any natural environment we can replicate on earth then it could easily be bountyful on another planet.
    If it was just floating around in space would it get burnt up entering an atmosphere or does that only happen to large objects travelling at high speeds?

Those things are like the Chuck Norris of the animal kingdom. Unbelievable. I wonder could their genes be used to develop really hardy crops that could grow anywhere? That would be awesome.

• Advertisement

If there were UFO's in the skies all the time, why would they need tapeworms to spy on us?

hey have asked him and the tapeworms purpose is to work on understanding the human anatomy, Ok now i do think he needs help:eek:

yekahs wrote: »
    Those things are like the Chuck Norris of the animal kingdom. Unbelievable. I wonder could their genes be used to develop really hardy crops that could grow anywhere? That would be awesome.

It would be interesting to see if the Mars ROver or Moon missions were looking for things this size. Would they even class it as Alien life.
    Doubtful considering they found bacteria believed to be from Mars and were quite understated about it:
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

Little D wrote: »
    Another thing he told me that i find strange is that humans can only see in certain colours and he thinks their could be ufo's in the skies all the time and we cant see them because their not made in one of the colours humans can see

Well if you think of it like a radio. Say i'm listening to Will leehy on 2fm and change the station (because he annoys me). I turn to RTE1 to get my hands on Mooney's Money. Will leehy has not disapeared (unfortunately), i've just changed the frequency my radio is receiving.

The Human brain works on frequencies too: http://www.lunarsight.com/freq.htm
    Whats to say there are things present that we are not tuned to be aware of.

New things are there to be discovered in different frequencies.
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Well if you think of it like a radio. Say i'm listening to Will leehy on 2fm and change the station (because he annoys me). I turn to RTE1 to get my hands on Mooney's Money. Will leehy has not disapeared (unfortunately), i've just changed the frequency my radio is receiving.

The Human brain works on frequencies too: http://www.lunarsight.com/freq.htm
    Whats to say there are things present that we are not tuned to be aware of.

New things are there to be discovered in different frequencies.
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-150

Are you a fan of David Icke by any chance?

alot of his other ideas make sense so maybe he's not totally paranoid yet!! I hope!!

He doesn't sound the like kind of guy you want to be getting any ideas from to be honest. At what point after hearing about aliens and engineered tapeworms do you decide that he has any credibility? I'm not saying he's flat out wrong about everything, just to approach everything with the requisite level of trepidation. Maybe you'd like to share his other idea that sound like they make sense?
    Another thing he told me that i find strange is that humans can only see in certain colours and he thinks their could be ufo's in the skies all the time and we cant see them because their not made in one of the colours humans can see he does however believe dogs can see these crafts!! :P

Dogs have worse color vision than humans, they don't see in the same ranges we do. Your friend doesn't have a good grasp on how vision works. Just because you can't see a certain color doesn't mean that you could paint something invisible. You'd still see it, you just wouldn't be seeing its true color.

Disclaimer: I'm not an ophthalmologist.

hey have asked him and the tapeworms purpose is to work on understanding the human anatomy, Ok now i do think he needs help:eek:

But surely, with the number of people who have suffered from having tapeworms over the last.... oh I don't know.... 2,000 years, surely they'd have a pretty good idea how the human body works by now. Not to mention people who say they were abducted by aliens. Didn't the aliens not get enough information from them?

It sounds like your friend is just looking to find interesting ways to fill in the blanks of what he doesn't understand. It's not a bad trait to have, just needs to perhaps do a bit of real research before claiming something as truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Sounds like your friend got a tapeworm and the only excuse he could come up with was that "aliens did it".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

that makes sorta sense.

I read a theory that the Inhabitants of the Americas couldnt see Columbus ships until they landed on the shores, tyhey had no frame of reference for the big ships on the horizon so the brain kinda just ignored them until they came sailin up the beach.

I'll have a quick google for something about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

heres an articla about not noticin the ships

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/issues/2009/07/23/myth-invisible-ships/

as for the tapeworm thing, does your friend watch Stargate??

• Advertisement

Are you a fan of David Icke by any chance?

No i think his lizard theory is just way out there and on a par with L. Ron Hubbard stuff. I did hear him say the radio thing and it made a bit of sense.

Was there anything about the post that you agree/disagreed with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Was there anything about the post that you agree/disagreed with?

No sorry i was just being a bit over-curious :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I don't think it's a case of not seeing colors but being limited to seeing in the spectrum between red and blue. Infra (below) Red and Ultra (beyond) Violet technology helps us see outside the spectrum.

fontanalis wrote: »
    I don't think it's a case of not seeing colors but being limited to seeing in the spectrum between red and blue. Infra (below) Red and Ultra (beyond) Violet technology helps us see outside the spectrum.

Indeed. We have instruments which allow us to detect all the different forms of electromagnetic radiation.

electromagneticspectrum.jpg

Advertisement