Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hens

• 04-03-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

can anyone advise me on this??
    i have a large open garden, if i buy a coop and some hens am i going to spend my nights chasing them round to lock them up?:confused:
    i know people have free range hens and lock them up at night, but how will new hen know to go into a new coop. . .?:rolleyes:

i know i could go down the road of pening them in but would rather just have them pecking round the place. thanks in advance. . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we had ours in the coop for a few days then let them out to roam they know where to go themselves never once had to chase after them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

once they know where their feed is and where it's safe to sleep, you should have no bother letting them out,

you'd be amazed some days how early they will go to roost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

We have twenty. same results no problems. they go to the coop.
    One additional question.
    We now have 7 roosters that we need to sell / give away. any suggestons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

As the days get longer the hens will stay out longer but once they have some where to root they will head for it at night, the auld fella has his dog trained to round up the hens as the sun goes down.

As for the cocks, what age are they, are they too old for the pot

One additional question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

about 20 weeks. perfect for the pot but they are now 'pets' with our two boys so parting with them alive is our only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

One additional question.

YUMMY roast chicken for dinner for a whole week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

about 20 weeks. perfect for the pot but they are now 'pets' with our two boys so parting with them alive is our only option.

What they don't know won't hurt them.....

You won't ever eat chicken like that from a butcher or a supermarket, I'd be one of them people that thinks kids should be educated about where their grub comes from but I have funny feeling they might be a bit young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

thanks for the responces,
    just to double check, should i leave them locked in the coop (its a secure roosting nest box jobby) for the first two days and then let them out?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Be sure if you get rid of them to sneakily keep one for dinner, u will then appreciate proper food like yrs gone by, dont get me wrong im not 60yrs old only 26 but when i was growing up i remember eatin home grown hens and boy is there some difference!!

• Advertisement

To Dicky
    I'd say open the door but they may not appear out for a day or two.

To Ford 4000,
    I'm not a lot older than yourself and was reared up eating mostly our own chicken, geese and turkeys. Proper boiled eggs you cant beat em
    Ford4000 wrote: »
    Be sure if you get rid of them to sneakily keep one for dinner, u will then appreciate proper food like yrs gone by, dont get me wrong im not 60yrs old only 26 but when i was growing up i remember eatin home grown hens and boy is there some difference!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

One additional question.
    Where are you I'd take one or two and keep them alive!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ford4000 wrote: »
    We bought a chicken last week, there would be more meat on a crow. Nothing like the broilers my mother used to raise back in the seventies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they are your children's pets, please don't let them eat them unknowingly.

By all means educate and then eat.

As a small child my father tricked me into eatling my pet rabbit. I found out in my 20s and was literally sick for days. :( Still hurts to remember. He had one eye and I called him Popeye and loved him dearly..( no smiley for tears?)

Pets mean so much to children. As pets, not as food; they need to learn that difference but gently so.

And no, there is not much meat on a cockerel, but yes very tasty indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always keep them in for a few days to t to their new home. After that they'll go in by themselves. Watch out for any fox threat, you could lose them in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I am a novice chicken farmer with a flock of 3:pac:.I got 3 hybrids a month ago,and left them out the day after I got them.They then did there own exploring for the day and returned to the coop as the light fell.They even put my dog in his place after a couple of days now the dog thinks he is a chicken.No eggs yet just alot of ****e:pac:

Advertisement