Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Definition of "Atheism" and "Agnosticism"

• 04-03-2010 4:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this needs a sticky at this stage because constantly having to spell out the basic definition of a word which is in the forum title three times a day is hard going.
    Not a sticky on its own, but certainly an addendum to the charter, so that people can not only refer to is, but also see that a lot of the public discourse about what atheism is, and what atheists believe, is complete tosh.

Rehashing an earlier post along with Wikipedia's entry on atheism, I reckon that "atheism" is composed of at least the following categories:

1. "Weak explicit atheism" in which the holder believes that some specific deity, or group of deities, does not exist.
    2. "Weak non-explicit atheism" in which the holder believes that no deities of any kind exist.
    3. "Strong explicit atheism" in which the holder asserts that some specific deity, or group of deities, does not exist
    4. "Strong non-explicit atheism" in which the holder asserts that no deities exist at all.
    5. "Implicit atheism" or "organic atheism" in which the holder simply has never thought about the notion of one or more specific or non-specific deities and, by default, simply ignores the topic.

In general, I'd imagine that most atheists here fall into category (1) and a few into (2) and (3) and there's nobody I can think of who falls into (4), though I'm sure there are a few around. Many religious people think, incorrectly, that all atheists place themselves in (4). Agnosticism has little meaning without specifying exactly what it is that one's being agnostic about, but once it's been defined, it's possible to apply a similar categorization to the one above. Most religious people people fall into category (3), when for example, a christian asserts that Allah does not exist.

I suggest that posters take the above definition and add, edit or remove whatever they want, so that we can move to some kind of consensus (if that's possible :) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

You seem to have left out an important one:

Atheism - Lack of belief in a deity or deities.

In fact, I always thought that was the definition of weak atheism, and strong atheism was defined as the belief that no deity or deities exist. Isn't this the position (weak atheism) that most folks round here take?

Another simpler definition that I like:

Atheism - The rejection of theism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Atheism = not theism.
    Atheist = not a theist.
    Simple and accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You seem to have left out an important one:

Atheism - Lack of belief in a deity or deities.

Yep, that would be mine too. Doesn't the word atheism even break down to no-god or the Greek equivalent of god-less...?

I view theism as a positive belief and atheism as a neutral rather than a belief that there isn't a god. More a kind of no evidence to the contrary leaves nothing to believe in, than a rejection or refusal to believe in a god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I view theism as a positive belief and atheism as a neutral rather than a belief that there isn't a god. More a kind of no evidence to the contrary leaves nothing to believe in, than a rejection or refusal to believe in a god.

Thing is, atheism, came from theism, so it can't be neutral. Its very foundation was in opposition to the standard. No-one exposed to the concept of theism or in turn atheism can be neutral. A true neutral wont know what they are, as they would have no concept of theism or atheism. To define 'yourself' is to admit to a thought process.

Lets have a loose analogy

I like Yorkie Bars: Theist
    I don't like Yorkie bars: Atheist
    Whats a Yorkie Bar?: The neutral position

For some reason, there seems to be a desire to 'claim' the neutral position. The fact is though, that we define nothing this way. We don't call a baby, a-science or a-astrology etc etc. Its neutral position is that it has no concept whatsoever so its a rather silly, pedantic endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Defining atheism isnt too hard, the problem is what definition of god do you use. A very handsome man or money isnt going to cut it.

I think that the most useful definition for theistic gods are interventionist, creator type ones. Even in polytheistic religions they always seem to manage the creation between them somehow.

This discourse between weak and strong and explicit and whatever seem like arbitrary quantizations. I'm not saying theyre not useful as its the way humans work, but its got about as much meaning as saying there are athiests that are over 50 and some that are under.

edit: Jimitime, if you've never heard of god then obviously you don't believe in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

sink wrote: »
    Atheism = not theism.
    Atheist = not a theist.
    Simple and accurate.

This.

Bringing in the question of agnosticism is just confusing, you can be agnostic and atheist, or gnostic and atheist. You can be agnostic and theist, or gnostic and theist. And before anyone argues with this think about it a bit first, all these states are valid; therefore agnosticism is not contained in either of the atheist or theist sets (in set theory terms).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Found a nice image here, looks like a good synopsis to me:

venn_diagram_faith.gif

EDIT: It's the best diagram I could find, but its drawn inaccurately unfortunately, for example there should be no part of the agnostic circle that is outside the theist or atheist ones, but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I spoke to a theist once and he was the most racist,homophobic and transphobic person I ever met so I'm not to sure about theists being in the tolerant zone.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

JimiTime wrote: »
    Thing is, atheism, came from theism, so it can't be neutral. Its very foundation was in opposition to the standard. No-one exposed to the concept of theism or in turn atheism can be neutral. A true neutral wont know what they are, as they would have no concept of theism or atheism. To define 'yourself' is to admit to a thought process.
    I'm not so sure.
    Darkness is the opposite of light, yet darkness is just a lack of light.

So if we replace some words;
    Atheism is the opposite of Belief, yet Atheism is just a lack of Belief.

Hot and cold is another example of on being simply the lack of something rather than the active opposition of it.

EDIT: In before anyone links no belief to spiritual darkness and belief to enlightenment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

For some reason, there seems to be a desire to 'claim' the neutral position. The fact is though, that we define nothing this way. We don't call a baby, a-science or a-astrology etc etc. Its neutral position is that it has no concept whatsoever so its a rather silly, pedantic endeavour.

Yes it can be neutral Jimitime. you can have heard of an idea and still not say with certainty one way or another whether it's true or not. It's the difference between not accepting a proposition to be true - neutral, and asserting that it is false - not neutral. I don't not assert that your religion is false, I just haven't seen enough evidence to believe it to be true

[nitpick] Perhaps a bit too loose. The neutral position in your analogy would actually be 'I don't care much for Yorkie bars, but I don't mind them.' [/nitpick]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think "claims to know" would be better than "assert".

Personally, and I know this isn't popular, I don't see a relevant difference between "I don't have a belief in a deity" and "I don't believe in a deity".

I would never claim to know there is no deity, and I am open to correction if the religious become drastically more intellectually tenable than they have been so far, but I do believe there is no God. At the very least in relation to any God any human has ever claimed to interact with. As for an abstract, uninvolved deist God, my response is a gigantic yawn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Personally, and I know this isn't popular, I don't see a relevant difference between "I don't have a belief in a deity" and "I don't believe in a deity".
    I'm going to come out of the closet on this one too. :)

Zillah wrote: »

I would never claim to know there is no deity, and I am open to correction if the religious become drastically more intellectually tenable than they have been so far, but I do believe there is no God. At the very least in relation to any God any human has ever claimed to interact with. As for an abstract, uninvolved deist God, my response is a gigantic yawn.

Do you mean to say you don't see a difference between 'I don't believe in a deity' and 'I believe there are no deities?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're making one claim with singular and one claim with plural, so I'm not sure how to respond clearly without simply repeating myself.

Can you explain what exactly you're getting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Have to say I'm with Zillah here, i can't see any practical difference in the 2 statements

I do not believe God exists.
    and
    I believe God does not exist.

I suppose technically you could argue that the first allows the person the woolly "don't know" position where they neither believe nor disbelieve in God's existence, however for most people, most of the time, the statement "I don't believe God exists" has a very clear and singular meaning, and to attempt to argue there's a massive difference between it and "I believe God does not exist" seems an exercise in pedantry.
    sink wrote:
    Atheism = not theism.
    Atheist = not a theist.
    Simple and accurate.

What about the deists? Those who believe in (a) god, just not the personal intervening theist one. Technically, not being theists they are therefore atheists, it just seems strange to have people who believe in god defined as atheists, however I'm happy to have them if the rest of you are!

iUseVi wrote: »
    Found a nice image here, looks like a good synopsis to me:

venn_diagram_faith.gif

EDIT: It's the best diagram I could find, but its drawn inaccurately unfortunately, for example there should be no part of the agnostic circle that is outside the theist or atheist ones, but you get the idea.

Its nice, but completely wrong :P

That doesn't make any sense, no atheist in their right mind would say they didn't like god, they'd be a theist for starters - an atheist would be more likely to ask what is god and so be neutral by your own definition.

Not at all. Babies are not born with religion or a belief in a god, they have religion spoon fed to them (and for some reason we don't insist that small children take on science or astrology in the same way so it's apples and oranges). Not having such beliefs is the neutral position, for someone who never goes on to believe what they are told, they remain in the neutral position. I understand that theists have this need to have atheists as their opposite number but I don't think that is a wholly accurate description - and the very reason this thread is here.
    I'm not so sure.
    Darkness is the opposite of light, yet darkness is just a lack of light.

So if we replace some words;
    Atheism is the opposite of Belief, yet Atheism is just a lack of Belief.

Hot and cold is another example of on being simply the lack of something rather than the active opposition of it.

Exactly, thank you Mr Cohen. :)
    Zillah wrote:

I don't see a relevant difference either - when conversing with other atheists! The issue comes when discussing atheism with our religious friends. Ime, professing to "not believing in" something tends to give them the impression there is something there to believe in and we are denying or refusing to accept it. It's a small but important difference that theists never seem to fail to pick up on and try to argue with and that's the only reason I think a distinction should be made.

eoin5 wrote: »
    edit: Jimitime, if you've never heard of god then obviously you don't believe in him.

Yet you would not try define someone who never heard of a mars bar by calling them 'A' something or other. We don't generally define people in such ways.

My question would be why you'd desire to define people in relation to theism/atheism in such a manner? The fact is, is that every person who is atheist, knows what it means and has decided what they believe and don't believe. Its not a neutral position by any means, and I don't get why 'some' insist that it is.

I think maybe some people fight for it being the 'natural' position, only for it to be corrupted by religion or something. The fact is though, one is not atheist until one decides to be atheist. The very coining of the term was in relation to going against the standard of theism. Every child is born with a concept of pretty much nothing. To start defining them with terms of concepts they have absolutely no concept of is quite ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't see a relevant difference either - when conversing with other atheists! The issue comes when discussing atheism with our religious friends. Ime, professing to "not believing in" something tends to give them the impression there is something there to believe in and we are denying or refusing to accept it. It's a small but important difference that theists never seem to fail to pick up on and try to argue with and that's the only reason I think a distinction should be made.
    That may be the case but I don't see some pedantic grammatical nit-picking (on the part of certain theists) as reason enough to have to redefine what is in realty a simple term.

Mr Theist, you believe in god(s) - I don't. Now fupp off with your pointless wordplay!

Yet you would not try define someone who never heard of a mars bar by calling them 'A' something or other. We don't generally define people in such ways.

My question would be why you'd desire to define people in relation to theism/atheism in such a manner? The fact is, is that every person who is atheist, knows what it means and has decided what they believe and don't believe. Its not a neutral position by any means, and I don't get why 'some' insist that it is.

No, they haven't. I have never believed in a god - whatever it is you need to have latched onto the idea I have never had it. My feeling towards religion and god have not changed in my lifetime. If that isn't the neutral default then what is it?
    I think maybe some people fight for it being the 'natural' position, only for it to be corrupted by religion or something. The fact is though, one is not atheist until one decides to be atheist.

The bit in bold is the reason I think this sticks in your craw. If I have no belief in a god I fit the criteria for an atheist whether I declare it publicly or not, that's what I am/was/always have been.
    The very coining of the term was in relation to going against the standard of theism. Every child is born with a concept of pretty much nothing. To start defining them with terms of concepts they have absolutely no concept of is quite ridiculous.

A new born baby may be without concept of most things but as they grow older they are not. I had fantastic theological discussions with my parents from the age of about three. I did not develop a belief in a god regardless of the information I was given, I remained in the neutral position. :)

Dades wrote: »
    That may be the case but I don't see some pedantic grammatical nit-picking (on the part of certain theists) as reason enough to have to redefine what is in realty a simple term.

Mr Theist, you believe in god(s) - I don't. Now fupp off with your pointless wordplay!

I know, I know! I just get a bit fed up with having to fight off the accusations of denial and rejection! Even just being able to point them to this thread will better than having to constantly repeat myself.

I guess having never having had a belief, I don't view it that I don't believe in something because that isn't what came first, more that I never grew to have a belief - so it's definitely something I lack...though as I've gotten older and looked in greater detail as to why I lack belief I have also come to the conclusion that there is nothing to believe in so you could say I don't believe... o_O

It's not neutral by your definition because your definition only includes people who have never heard of religion. Your definition pretty much includes remote undiscovered tribes in the jungles.

But our definition of neutral is different to yours. As Ickle Magoo says, no atheist would say they don't like god because in order to not like god you must first acknowledge its existence. My position is neutral in that I neither accept your claims to know something you cannot possibly know but nor do I say that your claims are 100% definitely wrong. You might be right that there is a single intelligent creator of the universe who disapproves of homosexuality and working on Sunday but since there is no evidential basis for your claims, if you are right it will be nothing more than luck.

That's just how some words have come into being, I think the "a" something is just a quirk of the english language with some words taken from the greek.

"Atheism", from the Greek:
    atheismos : noun, from
    • a- : lacking, without, or not having something; akin to the English suffix "-less"
    • theos : a god, deity, mighty magic entity
    • -ismos : a state, quality, or condition; an "-ism"

There are lots of similar words which are prefixed with "a" or "an" in exactly the same way; atypical, atheist, anarchy, anonymous, apathy, aphasia, anaemia, anaesthesia, etc.

If an isolated tribe had a very unusual way of behaving we would call it atypical despite the tribe never knowing another way of doing it.

There are lots of similar words which are prefixed with "a" or "an" in exactly the same way; atypical, atheist, anarchy, anonymous, apathy, aphasia, anaemia, anaesthesia, etc.

A good example to show the difference between "opposite" and "lack of" is immoral and amoral. Killing someone is immoral but someone being killed by a storm is amoral, morality does not apply to it. Their god is said to be moral but since he regularly does and allows things to be done that would be considered immoral if we did them and the excuse is basically that he's above the law, if he does exist he is at best amoral.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's not neutral by your definition because your definition only includes people who have never heard of religion. Your definition pretty much includes remote undiscovered tribes in the jungles.

Indeed it does. My objection, is that you don't define people in certain ways. You don't define babies as A-astrology, A-simpsons, A-football. Similarly, you would not define a person who has never heard such concepts like this either. I would ask someone who insists on doing it, why you do this? Its not that I really care either way, but it does wrack my noggin when some people are so fervant about it.
    But our definition of neutral is different to yours. As Ickle Magoo says, no atheist would say they don't like god because in order to not like god you must first acknowledge its existence.

I do know that Sam. The Yorkie analogy (Which I said was very loose) was not meant to be a strict take on things.
    My position is neutral in that I neither accept your claims to know something you cannot possibly know but nor do I say that your claims are 100% definitely wrong.

If you are atheist, you have made the decision that I am in fact wrong. Simply putting a cavaet in saying that 'If something convincing arrises I'll change my mind', makes no odds. Your position is not neutral.
    You might be right that there is a single intelligent creator of the universe who disapproves of homosexuality and working on Sunday but since there is no evidential basis for your claims, if you are right it will be nothing more than luck.

As this is irrelavent, I wont get into it.

I think maybe some people fight for it being the 'natural' position, only for it to be corrupted by religion or something. The fact is though, one is not atheist until one decides to be atheist. The very coining of the term was in relation to going against the standard of theism. Every child is born with a concept of pretty much nothing. To start defining them with terms of concepts they have absolutely no concept of is quite ridiculous.

Huh? I'm not adding any weight behind the words theist or atheist, but you are. You either believe or not, and not moral wrangling can change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Personally I prefer the more classical definition :D

atheism ~ the doctrine or belief that there is no god(s)

All this weak, strong, second cousin of, etc only serves to muddy the waters further. You're over analysing the word imho.

• Advertisement

Indeed it does. My objection, is that you don't define people in certain ways. You don't define babies as A-astrology, A-simpsons, A-football. Similarly, you would not define a person who has never heard such concepts like this either. I would ask someone who insists on doing it, why you do this? Its not that I really care either way, but it does wrack my noggin when some people are so fervant about it.

Okay, go back to the isolated tribe, imagine one that revels in multiple partners with either sex. They have never heard of the laws or religions that exist out-with their tribe. Are they immoral or amoral?

Personally I prefer the more classical definition :D

atheism ~ the doctrine or belief that there is no god(s)

All this weak, strong, second cousin of, etc only serves to muddy the waters further. You're over analysing the word imho.

Perhaps you could give a description of the doctrine of atheism?

Okay, go back to the isolated tribe, imagine one that revels in multiple partners with either sex. They have never heard of the laws or religions that exist out-with their tribe. Are they immoral or amoral?

Define moral first.

Perhaps you could give a description of the doctrine of atheism?

The doctrine that God or gods do not exist. Just because the word 'doctrine' is usually associated with religion does not mean it must be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

iUseVi wrote: »
    This.

Bringing in the question of agnosticism is just confusing, you can be agnostic and atheist, or gnostic and atheist. You can be agnostic and theist, or gnostic and theist. And before anyone argues with this think about it a bit first, all these states are valid; therefore agnosticism is not contained in either of the atheist or theist sets (in set theory terms).

Yes you can be gnostic and theist (knowledge of god's existance) or gnostic and atheist (Knowledge of gods non existance). Also you can be Agnostic and theist or agnostic and Atheist by the same reasons as above.

My understanding is that atheism is a lack of a belief in any kind of god. In literal terms 'A' meaning absence of or without, theistic belief. It does not speak about the beliefs of the atheist. It is similar to how being amoral does not mean you are imoral, it just says you lack moral beliefs.

As far as i know atheism is not a vert specific term in that anyone who cannot say 'I believe in a Diety' is an atheist. It covers more people than is usually thought.

My understanding is that agnostic literaslly means 'A' meaning same as above and 'gnostic'meaning knowledge, so without knowledge. They believe knowledge of god is unknown or unknowable. By that definition agnostics also fall under the umbrella term atheist.

I think atheist is a much less exciting term than it is often used as. It means lack of a belief in god where it is used too often as a belief in the non existance of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I personally think it is necessary to define atheism in terms of theistic belief, rather than in terms of what they believe.

This would be my take on it, comments welcome
    1. "Weak explicit atheism" in which the holder rejects the assertions of a particularly group of theists in relation their god or gods
    2. "Weak non-explicit atheism" in which the holder rejects all assertions by all theists in relation to their god or gods.
    3. "Strong explicit atheism" in which the holder rejects and asserts that the assertions of a particularly group of theists in relation to their god or gods are untrue.
    4. "Strong non-explicit atheism" in which the holder rejects and asserts that all assertions by all theists in relation to their god or gods are untrue.
    5. "Implicit atheism" or "organic atheism" in which a person is not aware of any assertions of any group of theists and thus does not accept them by default

I personally think it is very important for me to define my atheism this way.

I do not believe that God doesn't exist Let me just clarify that again. I do not believe that God doesn't exist

I believe that theists have no idea if God exists or not, and invented the concept. I reject human theism the human assertions about gods. There is always the possibility that by some fluke they got it dead on correct, but that would be pure coincidence, like someone guessing the score for the last Liverpool match and getting it correct.

My atheism does not assert anything about the universe beyond the idea that humans invent gods and that is most likely where concepts like the Christian god come from. I have no idea if something did or did not create the universe. I've no idea if something did or did not create life on Earth. I've no idea if that this is the Christian concept of God or not. Such things are by definition unknowable.

This avoids all this nonsense that atheism is just another religion because it asserts truths about the origins of the universe (it wasn't a god), or how can atheists know there is no god, etc etc.

• Advertisement

The doctrine that God or gods do not exist.

The problem is that this is not actually what atheism means to a lot of people.

See my post above.

Define moral first.

Use whatever definition rocks your boat.
    JimiTime wrote:
    The doctrine that God or gods do not exist. Just because the word 'doctrine' is usually associated with religion does not mean it must be avoided.

Yes, doctrine is also used in regards to legal principles & foreign policy but what it always means is something that is taught or that which is taught, teaching or instruction; as in indoctrination. Neither being born without a belief in a god nor coming to such a minority conclusion later in life, could be considered something which is taught nor indoctrinated... :confused:

Wicknight wrote: »
    B]"Implicit atheism" or "organic atheism"[/B] in which a person is not aware of any assertions of any group of theists and thus does not accept them by default

Again, why would you define someone like this? We wouldn't do it with anything else. So why with theism and its derivitives?

Again, why would you define someone like this? We wouldn't do it with anything else. So why with theism and its derivitives?

Well I'm in two minds myself as to this, but I can see the logic for it. Theism are human assertions about the universe. If you are not aware of these assertions you will naturally not accept them in that you will not be in the current state of accepting them as true.

This is of course not the same thing as rejecting them, which is why there is a separation of the different types of atheism.

Can you think of a better term?

Use whatever definition rocks your boat.

Really? Me, a Christian? Use my definition of morality? Fair enough.

As morality is defined by our creator and is objective, this tribe would be immoral.

• Advertisement

Well I'm in two minds myself as to this, but I can see the logic for it. Theism are human assertions about the universe. If you are not aware of these assertions you will naturally not accept them in that you will not be in the current state of accepting them as true.

This is of course not the same thing as rejecting them, which is why there is a separation of the different types of atheism.

Can you think of a better term?

Why not just 'ignorant of the concept'? From simply a linguistic point of view, I think calling it atheism is deceptive. It does not communicate the facts very effectively IMO. Atheist, Theist, and ignorant of the concept are the best descriptions IMO.

If we change it to astrology. You believe, you don't believe, or you're ignorant of the concept. I think they are the most acceptable, and most accurate terms.

The problem is that this is not actually what atheism means to a lot of people.

See my post above.

Then we need to ask, does it have a precise definition? or is it a fairly meaningless term? I personally think that the word 'Christian' has become a fairly meaningless term due to the many guises of Christendom. If someone says, 'I'm a Christian', I tend to assume very little about them. Similarly with atheism. If someone says 'I'm atheist', I tend to assume very little. (Apart from being nerdy, arrogant, hedonistic baby eaters of course:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there would be a very long list if i had to make oneof all the things i don't believe in
    but here are some

magic
    gods
    homeopathy
    santa
    satan
    birthday cards
    all the new age spirituality stuff
    tooth fairy
    spellchecker

see my point is that belief is objective

however i am of the opinion that the idea of religion comes under the blanket cognititive process "how things work" that makes humans able to do such marvelous things compared to say dogs.

humans have always tried to explain to each other how stuff works

for example if you go on the motors forum and type some thing like "red light for the battery is on and my powersteering wont work on my astra "
    lots of people will tell you its because the alternator is broken or a fuse is gone. they are wrong they have a limited understanding yet they are allowed say thier piece. same as when the americian evangalists say that god has struck stuff down with weather cos its annoyed with us, they are also wrong.
    scientific method will tell us that by examining the engine bay we can clearly see the fan belt is broken so those that were sure that it was the alternator etc were wrong but we let them go on. same as the weather it wasn't god it was just weather but we let them talk because its a human trait to just state opinion as fact.

ages ago when people didn't understand lightning or dyptheria or any of the un-understandable stuff that went on they stated as fact that it was god , or magic opr dead people . this can be seen in every culture wars have been fought over these imaginary friends.

nowadays we can use scientific method and can see that in all probability that there is no magic no imaginary friend that can help us yet people refuse to accept that its all gibberish, peer pressure and fear of death combined with stubbornness, tradation and that need to be able to explain that humans have inside mean that eevn now in the 21st centruary religion is still widspread. so what type of athiest am i ?

Why not just 'ignorant of the concept'?
    Because it is the same thing.

At its most basic an atheist is simply someone who is not a theist. A person ignorant of the concept is not a theist.

If you want to differentiate between someone who is not a theist because they have rejected theism and someone who is not a theist simply because they have no clue what theism is you can use the different prefixes before atheist.

This is why calling atheism a doctrine or belief system or religion is rather nonsensical. Not being a theist is not a doctrine unless you know why they aren't a theist.
    From simply a linguistic point of view, I think calling it atheism is deceptive. It does not communicate the facts very effectively IMO. Atheist, Theist, and ignorant of the concept are the best descriptions IMO.

Only if you think that atheism is an assertion of a belief such as there is no god, which as we are endless you telling you, it isn't. :)
    If we change it to astrology. You believe, you don't believe, or you're ignorant of the concept. I think they are the most acceptable, and most accurate terms.

If an astrologer is someone who practices astrology and we say someone who doesn't is an a-astrologer then someone who has no clue what astrology is is an a-astrologer

It doesn't matter if they don't know what astrology is, they are not an astrologer.

If someone says 'I'm atheist', I tend to assume very little.

That is a very very good thing :)

It is what we have been calling for for a long time.

Really? Me, a Christian? Use my definition of morality? Fair enough.

As morality is defined by our creator and is objective, this tribe would be immoral.

Okay, so define amorality.

If they are, to use your own words, ignorant of the concept then calling them immoral is, as you say, deceptive - and infers they are deliberately acting without morals when they are in fact not confirming to a behaviour code they had no idea existed. "a" - without, "im" - not.

It does not communicate the facts very effectively IMO. Atheist, Theist, and ignorant of the concept are the best descriptions IMO.

I think Theist - Atheist - Anti-theist would be the most accurate if you are looking for some kind of scale of terminology.

I wish there was no need for the term atheist. The only reason it exists is because there are so many theists that it is necessary to define yourself as not belonging to that group. You might have heard of the term non-stamp collector (and the youtube user by that name) that takes the piss out of this.
    If you are atheist, you have made the decision that I am in fact wrong. Simply putting a cavaet in saying that 'If something convincing arrises I'll change my mind', makes no odds. Your position is not neutral.
    You seem to be missing the point. I haven't decided that you're wrong, I simply say that neither I nor you have any way of knowing if you're right. As I said, you might be right but if you are it'll simply be dumb luck.

An example: someone tells me that they know what next week's lotto numbers are going to be and lists them to me. I'm not going to say "you're wrong, those are not going to be the lotto numbers" because those numbers are just as likely to come up as any other and he may well turn out to be right. What I would say is that I don't believe him, ie I don't believe that he knows what the lotto numbers are going to be and I wouldn't let the fact that he claims to know effect my choice of numbers. It's not that he's wrong but that there is no way of determining if he's right. He's claiming to know something he cannot possibly know so his opinion is irrelevant. That's pretty much my position on world religions
    As this is irrelavent, I wont get into it.
    The fact that you think that's irrelevant shows that you have missed my point.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The fact that you think that's irrelevant shows that you have missed my point.

Faie enough so. I've read, and re-read and still see it as irrelavent, so I'll dwell in my ignorance of the point.

Faie enough so. I've read, and re-read and still see it as irrelavent, so I'll dwell in my ignorance of the point.

What about the example I gave:

"An example: someone tells me that they know what next week's lotto numbers are going to be and lists them to me. I'm not going to say "you're wrong, those are not going to be the lotto numbers" because those numbers are just as likely to come up as any other and he may well turn out to be right. What I would say is that I don't believe him, ie I don't believe that he knows what the lotto numbers are going to be and I wouldn't let the fact that he claims to know effect my choice of numbers. It's not that he's wrong but that there is no way of determining if he's right. He's claiming to know something he cannot possibly know so his opinion is irrelevant. That's pretty much my position on world religions"

Also, I think it's funny how you're talking about preconceptions that people have about other groups and saying that when someone says they're an atheist you assume very little, while refusing to let go of this preconception that a bunch of atheists are telling you you have.

edit: If I told the lotto guy that he was wrong, ie that those numbers were not going to come up I would be claiming to know something that I can't possibly know just as much as he was. That would be a non-neutral position and that's the position that you like to think atheists hold but it's not the position that I actually hold

• Advertisement
Advertisement