Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nrth reg car in the republic

• 04-03-2010 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi all,

ive bought a car from the nrth 1mth ago,changed my insurance over to it,no problem there,until i received a letter from quinn this morning telling me that they were going to cancel my insurance in 2 weeks time unless i changed the reg to an irish plate.the car has 12mths NI road tax as well as 12mths MOT.made me think is this still legit in the south?

i was thinking what the hell has this got to do with them?why even bother insuring me in the first place?
    anyone else been in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Are you a permanent resident in the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

You have to import properly and pay VRT .. you can't insure a UK or NI car in ROI. The reason they let you do it up front is so you are insured while driving it and waiting to re register ... but there's a time limit !
    Only other option is if you have friends or family North of the Border who'll let you insure at their address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

This isn't going to end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

hi all,

ive bought a car from the nrth 1mth ago,changed my insurance over to it,no problem there,until i received a letter from quinn this morning telling me that they were going to cancel my insurance in 2 weeks time unless i changed the reg to an irish plate.the car has 12mths NI road tax as well as 12mths MOT.made me think is this still legit in the south?

i was thinking what the hell has this got to do with them?why even bother insuring me in the first place?
    anyone else been in this situation?

All insurance companies will do this from now on. Either own, VRT and tax the car legally in the ROI or it'll be impounded. You're evading tax if you do otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

.made me think is this still legit in the south?
    ?

Yeah right you did. Pony up the cash like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

made me think is this still legit in the south?

If it was legit, you'd see nothing but yellow reg's on the road down here!

It's legit for a northern resident to use their car down here, providing they are still living in the North for a good proportion of the year (not sure of the duration)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Linked to this...guess a lot of people getting letters soon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055819750&highlight=finance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

would you not have thought to check stuff like this before buying up north?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

If you're a resident of the Republic of Ireland and want to drive your new purchase here then you should have declared your car within the day to the Revenue so (unfortunately) they can hit you with a nice VRT bill.

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

All I can add is :
    nelson-muntz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't think there is a need to let this continue.

OP if you are a resident in the Republic you need to pay VRT for your car. What your insurance company is doing is perfectly legit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement