Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK pension

Options
  • 04-03-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Not sure if i'm in the right forum here sorry.
    My father who recently passed away was in receipt of a small UK pension from time he worked there in the '60's. My mother wrote informing them of his passing and they returned a huge form.
    I presume this is for her to fill out to apply for a widow's pension - can anyone tell me if it's worth her while - is she entitled to something even though she never lived in the UK herself?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This probably belongs in Biz / Personal / Banking and Insurance and Pensions.

Condolences.

The answer to your question is that it may be worthwhile. How worthwhile depends on the variable factors like size of pension, the sheme entitlement for the widow, the terms and conditions and so on.

Give it a go and keep copies of all documents including the ones your mother sends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

sammalone wrote: »
    Not sure if i'm in the right forum here sorry.
    My father who recently passed away was in receipt of a small UK pension from time he worked there in the '60's. My mother wrote informing them of his passing and they returned a huge form.
    I presume this is for her to fill out to apply for a widow's pension - can anyone tell me if it's worth her while - is she entitled to something even though she never lived in the UK herself?
    Thanks

Yes, essentially your shoudl receive a pension at a rate of about 1/2 what your father was in receipt of ,on the basis of the national insurance contributions he paid while working there. I'd say fill it in and return it, the Dept of Social Security in the UK are pretty efficient so they should be able to sort it out fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Condolences.

First question: is it a state pension or from the company where he worked, or both?

Either way, you could ring the company/ DWP up & ask them what entitlements widows have in general (maybe without even giving your name). For state pensions, also check here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/TaxandNationalInsuranceinretirement/GettingyourtaxandNationalInsuranceright/DG_10014855 .

Good luck. Even if it's a small sum it may add up in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Thanks everyone for the advice I guessed as much - I suppose there's nothing lost except the time to fill the forms even if my mother not entitled to anything.

Thanks all

Advertisement