Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Erm - how the hell do I connect an Xbox 360 to the internet?

• 04-03-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

Right, so every time I connect to the internet, I can't connect to Xbox Live because my IP settings can't be detected or something...

What the hell do I do?

I'm sorry if this comes up repeatedly, but bloody hell I'm annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

what type of internet do you have? wireless? Is the router nearby? Have you an ethernet cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Trilla wrote: »
    what type of internet do you have? wireless? Is the router nearby? Have you an ethernet cable?

Eircom wireless. Router is in the room beside.

It finds the wireless connection, and connects to it. Then says the IP doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We had the same problem. Had to do with the settings. You have to go into the router settings on the eircom page and enable Xbox live. It should work then!

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You have to set the firewall to low in the router setting too.

We had the same problem. Had to do with the settings. You have to go into the router settings on the eircom page and enable Xbox live. It should work then!

CC
    You have to set the firewall to low in the router setting too.

Thanks lads. I'll see what I can do. Any idea where I go to do all this stuff?

• Advertisement

In your web browser address bar, type: 192.168.*.1 and hit enter.

Where I have the *, it could be a 0,1 or 2 so try each to see what lets you into your router settings page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Don't you mean 192.168.1.254 ? That's the standard Gateway.

Eh, how the hell do I enable Xbox live for my Xbox? All it seems to have done is allowed my laptop to enable it, which seems fairly useless. :pac:

Eh, how the hell do I enable Xbox live for my Xbox? All it seems to have done is allowed my laptop to enable it, which seems fairly useless. :pac:

You don't have to mess around with your Xbox settings. It does it all itself, you need to configure your route to let your Xbox to "talk to it".

Your laptop has not enabled anything, you were configuring your router from your laptop.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Don't you mean 192.168.1.254 ? That's the standard Gateway.

I could be that, I haven't been with Eircom in a few years.

• Advertisement

You don't have to mess around with your Xbox settings. It does it all itself, you need to configure your route to let your Xbox to "talk to it".

Your laptop has not enabled anything, you were configuring your router from your laptop.

But where do I enable it? I tried enabling it and nothing's changed...

Did you get into your eircom router page by typing in the IP address?

Once you select the Xbox Live option and turn your firewall off or set it to low and save your settings.

Your 360 can detect your Eircom connection, yes? Did it ask you to enter your WEP key into your 360. Did you make sure your WEB was entered correctly case sensitive is very important.

Take a look see at this link and see if it heps you.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

Did you get into your eircom router page by typing in the IP address?

Once you select the Xbox Live option and turn your firewall off or set it to low and save your settings.

Your 360 can detect your Eircom connection, yes? Did it ask you to enter your WEP key into your 360. Did you make sure your WEB was entered correctly case sensitive is very important.

Take a look see at this link and see if it heps you.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

WEP key's just the wireless password right?

Done the rest of that anyway.

It detects my eircom connection, the firewall's low and the WEP's in. Still nothing.

When you test the connection on the Xbox, at what part does it say that it's failing on?

When you test the connection on the Xbox, at what part does it say that it's failing on?

So far the first step.

I've seen a few things online, and here, which I'll try when I get back from tonight's drunken festivities. (Hangovers and technology based frustration, a great combo :P)

Thanks for the advice though, lads, I'll get back to you with any success I have. And of course, open to any other suggestions. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

We had this problem twice once connecting to Eircom and then connecting to NTL. Telephone XBox live 1-800-5091861 - they will talk you through everything. Secondly if you ring Eircom they do all that stuff for you like turning your firewalls on/off. And thirdly we finally got it working by restoring the factory settings on the XBox.

Hope this is some help to you

deelite wrote: »
    We had this problem twice once connecting to Eircom and then connecting to NTL. Telephone XBox live 1-800-5091861 - they will talk you through everything. Secondly if you ring Eircom they do all that stuff for you like turning your firewalls on/off. And thirdly we finally got it working by restoring the factory settings on the XBox.

Hope this is some help to you

Looks like I've an exciting Friday off college ahead of me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

Okay i know u might already have done this but if not it will work. what u do is type ur broadband user name and password in the xbox dashboard. if u dont have them ring ur ISP and they will give them to u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

I had the same problem when i started xbox live i rang up eircom and they talked me through all the settings etc.

If you have not got it working yet ring them and they'll help and get you online

Woohoo. Turns out I'm retarded and put in the wrong name for my eircom account. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Woohoo. Turns out I'm retarded and put in the wrong name for my eircom account. :o

FAIL

Verging on epic fail. But I'll survive. :p

Advertisement