Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Temple Pilots - The Olympia

Options
  • 04-03-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Tickets on sale Friday,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

And that price is no more than €49.

I'll watch Italy vs Paraguay instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I got my tickets this morning - and can't wait. Saw them in Barrowlands, Glasgow 1994 or 1995 (can't quite remember) then several months later in London - they were fantastic. I'm so excited about this concert. I think the price was ok compared with some tickets out there today. (OK so the travel to Dublin and the over-nighter adds to the cost). But for STP - worth it! Judes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Squelchy wrote: »
    And that price is no more than €49.

I'll watch Italy vs Paraguay instead.

assuming that you drink, would you have a problem spending €49 on beer, get drunk, possibly make a fool of yourself, forget stuff, fall over, puke, pi55 most of it up against the wall, and wake up with a headache the next day.....?

that's the way I think about things these days. I could go "arra, €49 is too much for a ticket, which it is compared to other countries", but yet I never seem to complain spending more on a drink on a night out....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Anyone going to this tonight? I'm well excited!

Any word on stagetimes/support acts? MCD site has no info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

seachto7 wrote: »
    assuming that you drink, would you have a problem spending €49 on beer, get drunk, possibly make a fool of yourself, forget stuff, fall over, puke, pi55 most of it up against the wall, and wake up with a headache the next day.....?

Sounds like a good night for only €49!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone going to this tonight? I'm well excited!

Any word on stagetimes/support acts? MCD site has no info

TAB the band, featuring two of Joe Perrys sons are supporting, dunno door times, assume around 7:30pm.

http://tabtheband.com/goodies/music/

Lookin forward to seein the Pilots myself, saw Weiland with VR two years back and even though him and the band had already fallen out he still delivered.

TAB the band, featuring two of Joe Perrys sons are supporting, dunno door times, assume around 7:30pm.

http://tabtheband.com/goodies/music/

Lookin forward to seein the Pilots myself, saw Weiland with VR two years back and even though him and the band had already fallen out he still delivered.

Nice one, might get down in time to check them out.

Doors are 7.30 so I'd expect STP to be on around 8.45ish hopefully...Scott does seem to be a lot more reliable these days

Was at one of the VR gigs too, was very good. Be great to see him with the songs he's more comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Heard good reports from Donnington last night so roll on tonight.

The is the setlist from last night apparently so I think it can be assumed that the same songs will be performed tonight. Needs moar Purple but I'll be happy with Lounge Fly.

Vasoline
    Wicked Garden
    Crackerman
    Between The Lines
    Hickory Dichotomy
    Big Empty
    Plush
    Interstate Love Song
    Huckleberry Crumble
    Tumble In The Rough
    Lounge Fly
    Sex Type Thing
    Dead and Bloated
    Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart

Creature wrote: »
    Heard good reports from Donnington last night so roll on tonight.

The is the setlist from last night apparently so I think it can be assumed that the same songs will be performed tonight. Needs moar Purple but I'll be happy with Lounge Fly.

Vasoline
    Wicked Garden
    Crackerman
    Between The Lines
    Hickory Dichotomy
    Big Empty
    Plush
    Interstate Love Song
    Huckleberry Crumble
    Tumble In The Rough
    Lounge Fly
    Sex Type Thing
    Dead and Bloated

Pretty good setlist, fairly light on the new album (not that I'm complaining). I think they might play some more off it tonight, festivals tend to be closer to a greatest hits setlist. And wheres Shangri-La??

Ah they never play songs from Shangrila likewise with No. 4, they're the pariah albums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just rang the Olympia, they're due on stage at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Amazing gig, they all gave 100%, Scott especially, lots of energy great buzz and set list. So worth the money. Hope they come back again

I really enjoyed that. The whole band were on top form and played a great gig.

brilliant gig. scott was on top form, I thought he sang really well, and seemed happy with the reception they got, as did the rest of the band. It was f**king hit after hit, if you'll excuse the pun!
    I would have liked some more off no 4, or tiny music..., or even "days of the week" off shangri la, but I won't complain with what they did include. They must have played all of Core??
    The new stuff fitted in well I thought. 4 songs off the new album wasn't bad.
    Only ropey song I thought was sour girl, it started a bit ropey, and I wasn't feeling it. Don't think Dean was either! Not a whole lot of banter between songs either, but not to worry.
    Loved when Scott got up on the balcony for dead and bloated, and he let the crowd sing the rest of the intro, and boy did we belt it out for them!!
    I always loved the 2 deleos, they are great musicians, and they were great tonight. Robert is quite the dude I have to say. If I'm looking half as cool as him at when I get to his age, I'll be happy. Lovely bass style too.
    I dunno, but they looked genuinely happy with the reception they got. I've been into them for years, I'm 33, and this is my first time seeing them live. I thought I missed the chance. So glad I went to this gig. I wasn't sure what to expect with Scott, would he be on form or not, but as a band they were superb tonight. I hope they come back...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Excellent gig!! Full of energy!!Fair dues to Weiland, really knows how to work a crowd and such a presence on stage, thought he was great with VR in the Ambassador too! Really glad I went!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

I don't think i've ever been to a gig where i have savoured every moment like i did tonight.
    Some of that new stuff really stands shoulder to shoulder with the golden oldies when played live.It's great to have these guys back with new music...

Scott was grinning from ear to ear as they were taking their bow at the end.I think we impressed them as much as they impressed us.Wonderful gig.I hope they come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Great gig. Their gig in the SFX on the tour of Purple was one of the best gigs I've been too. Wasnt expecting them to be anywhere near as good this time around but they were! The crowd reaction was brilliant too and you could tell the band were buzzing from it.
    Weiland singing the intro to Dead & Bloated on the megaphone from one of the boxes was the highlight, but it was all good. Rob DeLeo has really got is groove moves schtik perfected. One cool mofo. :cool:

Rob DeLeo has really got is groove moves schtik perfected. One cool mofo. :cool:

according to wiki, he's about 45! Is there a cooler 45 year old around?:cool:

must agree, I savoured every moment of that gig...

Yeah the songs from the new album sounded great, I was really taken back by how well they stood up with the oldies. Huckleberry Crumble in particular sounded fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Not a massive STP man but I enjoyed them at Download. You probably either love or hate Scott Weiland, I think he's a great front man as front men go.

I would've loved if they played Days of the Week. Have they performed that at all since they reformed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Great git. Aside from a slightly annoying guy beside me for a while, totally enjoyable. Coulda done with a few more tunes but on balance I'm happy.
    Vasoline
    Wicked Garden
    Crackerman
    Between The Lines
    Hickory Dichotomy
    Big Empty
    Plush
    Interstate Love Song
    Huckleberry Crumble
    Tumble In The Rough
    Lounge Fly
    Sex Type Thing
    Dead and Bloated

Very similar to last night. But we got Creep too. And Sour Girl. Anything else missing? Or there that shouldn't be?
    Ah they never play songs from Shangrila likewise with No. 4, they're the pariah albums.

Rightly so.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    brilliant gig. scott was on top form, I thought he sang really well, and seemed happy with the reception they got, as did the rest of the band.

Dean, in particular, seemed touched by our welcome.
    I would have liked some more off no 4, or tiny music..., or even "days of the week" off shangri la, but I won't complain with what they did include.

Tiny Music..., yes. And So I Know (though it wouln't have fit the flow of the set). Big Bang Baby. Seven Caged Tigers. I'd happily substitute any of them for three of the new songs.
    They must have played all of Core??

Wicked Garden, Crackerman, Plush, Creep, Dead and Bloated, Sex Type Thing.

So around half. :)
    The new stuff fitted in well I thought. 4 songs off the new album wasn't bad.

Yeah, much as I don't rate it they fairly rocked them. The chorus from Hickory Dichotomy is stuck in my head today.
    Only ropey song I thought was sour girl, it started a bit ropey, and I wasn't feeling it. Don't think Dean was either!

Or Rob. Or Eric. (They only hired him last night, remember?). Yeah, I was worried the gig was about to fall apart at that point but they're obviously just a little rusty on that one.
    You probably either love or hate Scott Weiland, I think he's a great front man as front men go.

At his best he can put on a performance as good as last night's. At his worst he can be a difficult fool.

I think the Olympia was the perfect sized venue to see them. I doubt his voice has the strength for big stadiums anymore.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Very similar to last night. But we got Creep too. And Sour Girl. Anything else missing? Or there that shouldn't be?

Bagman from the new album and that's it I think. I would love to have heard Seven Caged Tigers, And So I Know or anything else from Purple but as it was, the setlist was pretty damn good.

Rightly so.
    Ah here, I'm not pushed about Shangrila but No. 4 is good. Down, Pruno, Sex & Violence, No Way Out, Glide and I Got you are all very good songs. Glide is one of their very best songs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Great git. Aside from a slightly annoying guy beside me for a while, totally enjoyable.

Was that the guy who was in the front row in the upper circle giving it loads and had the ushers constantly beside him. I had this annoying aul fella beside me playing air guitar and air drums

Great git.

Just spotted this. I wonder what my sub-concious thinks of Weiland. :D
    Bagman from the new album and that's it I think. I would love to have heard Seven Caged Tigers, And So I Know or anything else from Purple but as it was, the setlist was pretty damn good.

Yeah, I was very pleased with the strong showing from Core. If they'd just played songs from the first three albums I'd have been in my element but I was still pretty pleased with the mix.
    Ah here, I'm not pushed about Shangrila but No. 4 is good. Down, Pruno, Sex & Violence, No Way Out, Glide and I Got you are all very good songs. Glide is one of their very best songs IMO.

Well, I can't agree. I did give both those albums a fair chance and at one stage liked all the songs you posted (probably not Down though) but they just don't stand up over time in my opinion.

TheTosh wrote: »
    Was that the guy who was in the front row in the upper circle giving it loads and had the ushers constantly beside him. I had this annoying aul fella beside me playing air guitar and air drums

Ha ha, no! 'Twas downstairs near the back. In hindsight, he wasn't too bad, he was just talking during some songs and then kinda making a bit of an eejit of himself. I was more worried he was going to get worse than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Hugely enjoyable gig. Was in the pit for it right in front of Rob and he seemed genuinely touched by the recpetion they got. He rocked like a man possessed last night. Weiland seems to have gotten a bit chubby and being the bronzed Adonis that I am, I'm well within my rights to say that!!:)

It was hit after hit though, Days of the Week would've been the icing on the cake but there was the right mix of old and new. Really like the new album, I think Bagman is the only one that didn't deserve to make it on the list last night. Actually Down would've been great to hear too but I really can't complain. The energy was great. I saw Weiland play with VR about 6 years in Manchester and I thought his presence was immense, he looked 10ft tall that night and was no different last night. Nobody else would suit STP, his voice is a harmonizer by itself. His vocals complement everything else perfectly. That's the mark of a great band, everything just sails seamlessly. Rock and roll.

for anyone who may not have it, the best of "thank you" has an extra dvd on it, with LOADS of live stuff and videos, it's got plenty from No 4 and shangri la on it as well. (those 2 grew on me), plus STP doing the wichita lineman with glen campbell.
    I would recommend it highly. you get to see scott when he was a bit ropey though at some festivals (at times).
    Must say the new one is starting to grow on me, and yeah, I thought the show was going to fall apart after sour girl. I think Scott even fluffed one of the lines on the first verse...
    hopefully they'll bring out a live dvd of their latest tour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

One word: Epic!!!!

Did Scott climbing the balcony bring back memories for anyone that was at that epic Foo Fighters show in 2000, when Grohl went swining around the place?

was cool when he started singing dead and bloated, then the crowd finished it off, and you could just see him break into a big smile, as did the rest of the band. When it kicked in, it was f**king great....bit of an auld gut on scott too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bobby boots

Robert DeLeo is the definition of cool. Great to see Weiland looking much healthier these days. Eric Kretz is very underrated as a drummer, always has a killer sound on albums or live. He was using rototoms which was a nice touch.

Advertisement