Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SDS Drill

Options
  • 04-03-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Could someone please recommend the best cordless SDS hammer drill,
    and a price.

They are one Ebay for around 400, is that good?
    Whats the best voltage and battery type to get?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

DeWalt are always very reliable.
    For Good SDS hammer action go for 24 volt otr higher.
    I know Mikita do a good 36 volt one , not sure on prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

well the LI-ION seem to perform way better than NI-MH in my experience

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hilti are by far the best IMHO, but you will pay big bucks for them. You would have to be doing quite a bit of work to be able to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Yeah Hilti and Dewalt are amongst the best. Try a Bosch 24v gbh, but quite expensive also, one cheaper and equally as good drill is the 24v Ryobi. It's cheaper than the others but get the lithium-ion batteries with it, as the Ryobi One+ batteries don't last too long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I've always used the Bosch 24v GBH and I cant fault it one bit. Very reliable and will go through anything. I got mine from his place in the UK, very cheap.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/

• Advertisement

i notice with with the bosch 24volts that the 'hammer/rotary' selector switch falls off .

happens with the two drills i had. it's a real pain

M cebee wrote: »
    i notice with with the bosch 24volts that the 'hammer/rotary' selector switch falls off .

happens with the two drills i had. it's a real pain

That surprises me to be honest. As I've said I have used them for years and I know lads that use them and we all think they're bullet proof. I actually dropped one from the top of a ladder, about twenty feet, and only a little chip came off the casing and it's still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hilti te6a, 36v. The best.
    Used to be about €800 new.

Bosch seem to be ok, fair bit cheaper.

As was said is it an everyday jobber or an occasional use item?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I'd be a bit reluctant to spend 200 Sterling on a second hand drill from Ebay. Although its a top brand you don't know how its been treated by its user.
    You wont go too far wrong with the Bosch for 70 quid. Two good drills.

• Advertisement

i wouldn't bother with used battery drill if possible

i might have taken a switch off my old bosch and stuck it onto the new one-can't remember:D
    the 10.8v tools are great ,unfortunately both batteries on the 14v ni-mh packed in completely

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

ive a 24v hitachi with two 3ah batteries and cant fault it.not sure of price though

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I've owned a DeWalt 24V, adequate power and lasted about 5 years regular use. I found it fine for drlling holes in masonry up to 16mm.
    I had a Hilti 36V TE-6A too, not as good as they used to be. When I first used one they came with a 3AH battery, but Hilti cut the battery power down to 2.4AH and this affected performance. This drill got very regular use and lasted 2 years 3 months, good for up to 20mm in masonry but not concrete.
    My current cordless SDS is a Spit 24V, and is the best I've ever used, I've drilled 4 inch holes with a cheap core bit in reinforced concrete, 3AH battery so lasts well, much better than the Hilti and nearly €200 cheaper too. I paid €575 plus vat 18 months ago and it came with a 3 year warranty, Hilti's only 2 year.
    Hilti's are overpriced.
    You'll get a great deal if you shop around your local tool providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Recomend panasonic 28.8volt up to18mm. Better than dewalt and hilti imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Hi, it all depends on what you want it for. If you are going to be drilling hundreds of holes per day into hard concrete, the best cordless drill is one with a cord, cos the batteries just cant hack it. If you want good, long lasting performance, but at a price, get the makita 24v SDS with nimh batteries- the Li-ion batteries are fantastic at first, but they will not tolerate any abuse or neglect, they just die, and they die instantly and irreversibly. If you just want a good battery sds to drill 10 or 20 holes a day, the Ryobi 24v sds is the best buy, but get it new, they are cheap. The Ryobi corded sds drills are pants, they have a very poor impact rate, low joules and will drive you mad - like drilling with a toffee. The battery sds is v. good, but not as good as the Makita. Hitachi are good also, but dearish. Hilti are very good, very dear, and very variable, imoho. You can get a goodie, and it will rock, the other guys one may be poor. The Ryobi is a great compromise between price and performance. People underate Ryobi tools in general, I have Ryobi impact drivers that have driven in 10-12 thousand tec-screws through thick steel, each, and are still working perfectly - amazing for a €70 tool. I personally dont like Dewalt, they may be good tools, but they are expensive for what you get. I have drilled many thousands of holes to garner these insights, just to report back to you!

are the ni-mh better than l-ion for the hammer drills?

i assumed not but i only have li-ion or the 10.8 volt screwdrivers

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

It would be used every so often for regular electrical work, so I wouldn't be drilling over 20 holes a day I'd say.

Might go for the Ryobi from this site, cheapest price I could find.

http://www.ryobi-direct.com/acatalog/24v_Cordless_Drills_CRH-240RE.html

I have one of those, and its a good, solid drill, drills fast, copes with holes up to 22mm in concrete - battery life is adequate rather than brilliant, but you get two, and they charge fast. It is also lightweight, but you can drop it and it will bounce. Unlike Li-Ion batteries, you can leave these Ni-Mh in the shed for 6 months, pop them onto the charger, and you're good to go. The price is really good too. Looks a goodun!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

ive a mate works in an electrical whole salers in mullingar and can do a deal to anyone interested in the 24volt bosch sd with 2 batteries (think its 2x2.6ah batteries ) and a 15 minute charger which is unbeatable as ur never really stuck by the time uve managed to flatten 1 the other should be re charged ! brilliant bit of kit and as a fellow spark id highly recommend it iv currently got a ryobi and its a piece of sh1t to be honest doesnt have the strength to drill big holes like the bosch does and doesnt turn as quickly either

anyways the bosch 24v with 2 batteries and 15 min charger brand new with warranty is 269euro plus vat working out around 320 euro which is a very good price (i priced one in another wholesalers on thurs and they wanted 595 euro and best price was 500 inc vat)

pm me for details and il sort u out with their details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cunningchap

Hi focus owner I'd be interested in one of these drills if you could pass on the details,iv been lookin at the hiltis but very dear,I have a 110v hilti and have to say I can't fault them,but the new 22v cordless is workin out about 650 Inc vat.bit expensive at the mo,so Bosch shud do for the min.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

cef (city electrical factors ) i think its their name and ask to speak to ciaran williams tell them liam gave u his details

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I'm currently using a Hilti 24v and I can't fault it except the batteries are starting to wear now. If I was to buy a new one it would be the Milwaukee 28v. I've used my friends one and it's brilliant and reliable he has over 3 years and uses it every day. he doesn't use a mains one at all now. They're Lithium ion
    batteries and they last for ever. Better then Hilti by far.

Li-Ion are brilliant......and then crap. You need to own a few to find out why. That Bosch with the 15min charger is a deadly drill, my mates an electrician and has one, and it rocks. The 15 min charger is the clincher, and that(above) is a very, very, good price.

Advertisement