Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Insulation for Solid Walls

• 04-03-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Could anyone please recommend to me a company that does BREATHABLE external insulation.

As far as I can tell the only ones out there aren't breathable and involve applying an apoxy resin that doesn't seem to be breathable.

What is the best set-up for a Solid stone wall or Hollow block wall?

I would imagine a wood fibre insulation with mesh and lime mortar would be the most breathable.

Please share your experiences, as I need help ASAP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I think in this case rather than finding some company that does a "system" you're better of engaging a professional architect or technician specializing in natural materials to develop a bespoke buildup for your home. As far as I know of there aren't any off the shelf systems that do what you're asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Generally speaking in a higher tech construction you would prefer to see a moisture barrier on the warm side of insulation to avoid problems with dew point.
    Hippies on the other hand, like to have an organic breathable finish.
    Apples and oranges; don't mix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

Surely those "off the shelf systems" are made specifically for solid stone walls that cannot have cavity pumped.

What's even the point of having external insulation if it can't be fitted to a solid wall!

No need for an architect when there are so many companies around who do external insulation...that's just an added expense.

Advertisement