Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Gear for photographing a Wedding

• 04-03-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a Canon D450 with the kit lens and I want to invest in a new lens and a hotshoe flashgun.

I was looking at the Canon Speedlite 430EX II or the Canon Speedlite 580EX II as the flash. (Any Comments or suggestions)

I'm not sure what lens I would get best value from when it comes to future use and use for a wedding.

Any advice welcomed !

Budget wise I have about €600-€700 to spend overall ... I know this might not be much as lenses can be expensive, but I'm hoping to pick up some gear when I go to Lanzarote in the next few months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

smdweb wrote: »
    I have a Canon D450 with the kit lens and I want to invest in a new lens and a hotshoe flashgun.

I was looking at the Canon Speedlite 430EX II or the Canon Speedlite 580EX II as the flash. (Any Comments or suggestions)

I'm not sure what lens I would get best value from when it comes to future use and use for a wedding.

Any advice welcomed !

Budget wise I have about €600-€700 to spend overall ... I know this might not be much as lenses can be expensive, but I'm hoping to pick up some gear when I go to Lanzarote in the next few months.

I would suggest that you hold off and save for the 580 EXII and 24-70mm L lens. You will certainlt get the use from that lens.

The 2 will cost you about €1500 though (in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

Based on my research everything points to the 580 EXII so I think thats a definite!

Thanks for the tip on the lens ... my next point is will any 24-70mm lens do or would you go for the Canon series lens. There are Tamron lenses 28-75 would that do the same job??

I'm not totally up to speed on the numbering used when describing lenses, e.g. 24-70mm ... are there any on-line sources which discuss and explain these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

If you are photographing a wedding as the primary photographer the received wisdom is that having to ask that question makes it clear that you're far too inexperienced to do a competent job and probably shouldn't be shouldering the responsibility of trying to shoot professionally.

If you're an enthused amateur, however, your question is much more reasonable. I'd recommend one or two short and fast prime lenses that will allow you to shoot candidly in low light without disturbing your subjects with flash or calling attention to yourself. There are many cheap and excellent Canon prime lenses that suit this purpose that are reasonably inexpensive and you could comfortably buy one or two of them given your budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

This wedding you intend doing, is it for a friend or will you be paid to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Great advice on wedding gear from the great man himself, Judge Joe Brown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Covey wrote: »
    Great advice on wedding gear from the great man himself, Judge Joe Brown

lol... charging more for pics than your kit is worth... priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As an alternate maybe hold off on the flash and buy a 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f1.8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Just a word of advice, on the few occasions a visited Fuerteventura, neighbouring Lanzorte I had in mind different items I wanted to buy, not once did I buy there as the saving if at all was so minute I would rather spend in Ireland, most recent item being a cpl filter which would have been circa €60 here that I was quoted iirc €72, being a discount since I told them I was a photographer, the price put on the filter was over €100:eek:

Is there not a problem with lots of camera stuff being bought in Lanzerote actually being dodgy crap and people ending up with nothing but hassle?

I believe I remember reading something like that on here before...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

Is there not a problem with lots of camera stuff being bought in Lanzerote actually being dodgy crap and people ending up with nothing but hassle?

I believe I remember reading something like that on here before...?

I've been there a few times, mostly for work. I definitely wouldn't by anything electronic related in the Canaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's also a serious clampdown by customs. Anything you buy in the Canaries you technically should be paying duty on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Borderfox wrote: »
    As an alternate maybe hold off on the flash and buy a 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f1.8?

Also,maybe something like a 70-200mm f/2.8 or a long prime lens for close-ups, ring exchanges etc when you don't want to be intruding on the happy couple? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I was at a wedding recently and the pro only used a 40D, a 17-40 l and a flash. Still got fantastic shots.

The only thing I'd add to the list is a good fast zoom. The 70-200 f2.8 IS would be the perfect choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Sleepy wrote: »
    There's also a serious clampdown by customs. Anything you buy in the Canaries you technically should be paying duty on.

Slightly off topic... I'm going to Tenerife soon and was planning on bringing my camera gear, will I be alright on the return journey? Anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You'll be fine, just don't bring the boxes or receipts showing you bought something in the canaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just checked out the 70-200 f2.8 IS - looks like a great lens but expensive.
    There is a non IS version which knocks about €450 off the price.

I know I will need a fast lens, somebody mentioned the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM which is a fairly decent price.

Thanks to all who commented
    ... to answer another comment, this is just a favour for a friend but I am an avid photographer who just switched cameras and now I am buying gear to build my kit as well as getting some experience of event photogaphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

swingking wrote: »
    I was at a wedding recently and the pro only used a 40D, a 17-40 l and a flash. Still got fantastic shots..

That seems like an excellent wedding set-up.

The trick is not to be overburdened by too much gear - it gets in the way. Weddings move along at a speed of knots and you can't afford to be faffing about changing lenses every minute.

It's all about having a good eye and knowing how to use your equipment.

I photographed several weddings using a Mamiya 645, a standard lens and a flash (used very sparingly). The last wedding I shot I used a Canon 24-105 lens (on a full frame 5D) for most of the shots.

The one indispensable item of equipment I would urge on anyone doing weddings is a tripod.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Dunno if it helps, but...

Im a hobbyist with a 500D, and was at a friends wedding recently. Brought the 50mm f/1.8 with me and got results along the lines of this without using any flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was quoted iirc €72, being a discount since I told them I was a photographer, the price put on the filter was over €100:eek:
    Funny how you get a discount for being a photograper, why else would you be buying the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Effects wrote: »
    Funny how you get a discount for being a photograper, why else would you be buying the filter.

Ah I think it was a sales line, I never went back anyway after that time. Lenses were stupid prices as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Carrigman wrote: »
    The one indispensable item of equipment I would urge on anyone doing weddings is a tripod.

I'm curious as to why you would need a tripod at a wedding? Do you use it for indoor shots?

I used one once outdoors for a group shot, but that was only because I was using the self timer and getting into the shot. (friend's wedding!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Last weddign I was at, I shot candid shots as a favour.....saw the "professional" shots and was appalled.....my friends thanked me for being there forgetting the good shots. all I used was 50mm 1.4 and 80-200 2.8 with no IS or VR stabilisation....might have played with an 85mm at some point too.....maybe there were some shots with the 24-70mm 2.8 outside too? I can't remember....shots are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Nice photos Pete4130, pity the exif info is not available. I find this most useful when looking at peoples shots. It kind of tells the rest of the story for me when I look at peoples pictures and wonder what settings they used to achieve such a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

DK32 wrote: »
    Nice photos Pete4130, pity the exif info is not available. I find this most useful when looking at peoples shots. It kind of tells the rest of the story for me when I look at peoples pictures and wonder what settings they used to achieve such a great result.

Look here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Look here

Handy little app that John :D

DK32 wrote: »

I'll switch exif data back on now....

Exif available....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

pete4130 wrote: »
    Last weddign I was at, I shot candid shots as a favour.....saw the "professional" shots and was appalled.....my friends thanked me for being there forgetting the good shots. all I used was 50mm 1.4 and 80-200 2.8 with no IS or VR stabilisation....might have played with an 85mm at some point too.....maybe there were some shots with the 24-70mm 2.8 outside too? I can't remember....shots are here
    Odd but after looking at your shots I really preferred the colour over the BW ones, not to do with quality but just as pictures.
    And what's odd is I'm a fan of BW generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

slightly off topic but i've seen plenty of wedding photos where the picture has been black and white but the roses are red, just been playing in photoshop and wonder have I done it correctly, I very much doubt it, I just pulled out the magic wand and coloured in the rose, I presume there's a more professional way to do it..?

20100306-rb4cgjnia3j6s7ac25hjig3eb2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I presume there's a more professional way to do it..?

Yep, it's called selective colourization and there's a million tutorials on You Tube. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It uses layers and layer masks and a paint brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've always done it by creating a duplicate layer, desaturate the duplicate, then grab the eraser and erase anywhere over the layer you want in colour. Then simply flatten the image and save as ...

here's another very simplistic method -

http://digital-photography-school.com/mono-with-a-dash-of-colour-photoshop-cs2-tutorial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've always done it by creating a duplicate layer, desaturate the duplicate, then grab the eraser and erase anywhere over the layer you want in colour. Then simply flatten the image and save as ...

That's the method I use too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

that really is simple, I've learned a new trick, thanks a million :)

20100307-86gbkwmaypbbi2964tme2qjifx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

@daycent: I was in Tenerife over the Christmas - had two Cameras and two lens with me (obviously brought as carry on) so you should be fine, actually have been through a good few airports - never had any probs!

@ drunkmonkey: sometimes the effect can be good but generally it tends to turn out tacky, although, lots of people do ask for it to be done, if i'm doing it i tend to desaturate the colours somewhat, so as not to overpower the photograph, but really i'd prefer not to do it at all :)

@ smdweb: if your the sole (main) photographer at the wedding, I'd suggest that you have a backup body and anything else you can get a second of (just in case). there's a tendancy for Murphy's Law to crop up at weddings ;)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

slightly off topic but i've seen plenty of wedding photos where the picture has been black and white but the roses are red, just been playing in photoshop and wonder have I done it correctly, I very much doubt it, I just pulled out the magic wand and coloured in the rose, I presume there's a more professional way to do it..?

Yes. The professional way is DON'T DO IT. It's fun for about 2.6 seconds, then you realise it looks absolutely ridiculous and gimmicky. It screams 'WOW, I have Photoshop, I'm SO COOL!!!' When the realisation kicks in that you've 'Schindler's Listed' a wedding photo, something that's supposed to be a treasured, timeless memento of a beautiful occasion, you'll never get a good night's sleep again and eventually give up photography FOREVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's nonsense. It can look pretty cool when done right, just don't over use the effect. If the bride and groom want it, then they should 'ave it. It's better than over processed HDR any day at least :rolleyes:

Odd but after looking at your shots I really preferred the colour over the BW ones, not to do with quality but just as pictures.
    And what's odd is I'm a fan of BW generally.

some I had to convert to BW, I wasn't using flash and in the church it was a mix of daylight, candlelight and differnt types of artificial light so there were different colour casts everywhere. They were also shot between 3200 & 6400 ISO, slightly underexpose and some cropped so the softness/noise wasn't as visible in them.

The reception ones were under dancefloor lighting and I was pretty damn drunk too :P

Advertisement