Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constant errors dumping nand

Options
  • 04-03-2010 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hey guys, finally got my hands on an exploitable xbox.

xenon motherboard, really old kernel version. 2xxx.x

friend did the soldering, and everything looks right.
    removed R6T3, and connected the motherboard to power supply.

then connected the lpt cable to my computer.

when i run the nand dump command, i get constant error's.
    Testing LPT device address:0378
    Using LPT device at address:0378
    Flash Config: 0x00012000
    Block Size: 16KB Block Limits: 0x000000..0x0003FF
    File: mike.bin
    Reading
    Error:   0 reading block 0
    Error:   0 reading block 1
    Error:   0 reading block 2
    Error:   0 reading block 3
    Error:   0 reading block 4
    Error:   0 reading block 5
    Error:   0 reading block 6
    Error:   0 reading block 7

it goes on and on, but id rather not paste the entire thing!

anyone shed some light on this?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Get your friend to re-do the soldering. A Xenon/Zephyr/Opus/Falcon/Jasper(16MB) motherboard needs to give FlashConfig of 0x1198010.

Try using the optional diode, changing resistors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

did u use diode and resostors? also play around with lpt settings in BIOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok, in the bios now, and there's quite a few settings for the lpt.

lpt port mode:

off
    at
    ps/2
    EPP
    ECP

then there's lpt port address
    378h
    278h
    3BCh

any ideas of which to pick?

its an old dimension 5000.

this is the diagram i followed.

rt0291.jpg

leave the port address as is, try different mode. if you won't get proper results then re do soldering as TV said.

did you use the optional diode on the lpt cable? also whats the length of it?

yeah we used the optional diode.

the lenght....

its about 30cm from the solder'd points on the board to the ethernet jack, then the female to female adapter, then the ethernet to lpt connection is just over a meter in length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thats too long i'd say. should be < about 50cm in total

ok, update. i was paranoid about the lenght of the cable, so my friend snipped it down and re-solder'd the lpt side.

the total lenght from xbox motherboard to lpt port is now less than 50cm.

and she's flying along with the dump!

how did you get on?

right, so far so good.

however, ive just turned it on, ive put xexloader iso on a cd, inserted it, but when i click "play game" it doesn't load anything.

any advice?

right, so far so good.

however, ive just turned it on, ive put xexloader iso on a cd, inserted it, but when i click "play game" it doesn't load anything.

any advice?

there was an issue with xexloader. use xexmenu instead. Same thing, but updated

• Advertisement

thnx dude. finally found xexmenu.

do i burn the files to a disc? cos there's no iso etc. just rar file with few folders etc inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

thnx dude. finally found xexmenu.

do i burn the files to a disc? cos there's no iso etc. just rar file with few folders etc inside.

there is two different versions

one is the live version which is code9999, with that you place it in the content/00000 etc folder

the other is just a xex version(launch from say old xexloader or use quick boot and make a link to it.

There is also the iso version(burn this to disc)

get xbins and you will find it on there. if not i will upload it somewhere and pm you a link. let me know how you get on.

no hassle thor, thanks!

what ive got...

my jtag'd xbox 360.
    20gb xbox360 harddrive.
    1tb external usb harddrive.

I would like to remove the 20gb drive completly, and just use my 1tb drive.

is that possible?

ive currently got xexmenu on a cd, and it boots off that no problem.

do i need xbreboot or xexloader or something to start xexmenu without the xexmenu cd in the drive?

You need some form of storage that is detected as official storage in order to boot XeXMenu without a CD.

You use XeXMenu's functions (Copy/Paste) to copy the CODE9999 folder to your hard drive.

As far as I know, copying the CODE9999 folder to your USB hard drive will do nothing because the dashboard doesn't interact with your USB hard drive itself, you use an interim program like XEXMenu to boot stuff off it.

However, if you copy the folder to your Content/00000000000 folder on the 20GB hard drive using XeXMenu then you will no longer need the CD as XeXMenu will be detected under the Game Library -> Demo section.

If what I say is correct, and the MS dashboard only looks at hard drives connected via the top of the console then I think the best compromise is to get a larger 2.5" drive and just swap out the 20GB one for a 500GB one like I did. Plenty of rooms for backups, XEXMenu has an FTP server so I can FTP the ISOs directly, you can hook your 20GB up to your pc and use Xplorer360 to move over all existing content on the 20GB drive to the new drive etc etc.

thanks TV. i have it sorted now :D

im gonna leave the 20gb drive in, just for the sake of it.

ive formatted my 1tb to fat32, and it seems to work pretty nicely.

ive just closed the case, and when i turned it on, the fan quickly built up to maximum speed.
    i checked the temps with xexmenu, and they were showing 84*C cpu - 35*C gpu.

i quickly shut down and ran to boards.

help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

thanks TV. i have it sorted now :D

im gonna leave the 20gb drive in, just for the sake of it.

ive formatted my 1tb to fat32, and it seems to work pretty nicely.

ive just closed the case, and when i turned it on, the fan quickly built up to maximum speed.
    i checked the temps with xexmenu, and they were showing 84*C cpu - 35*C gpu.

i quickly shut down and ran to boards.

help!

That cpu is HOT. The GPU looks good, so its something CPU side. Are both fans running?

Did you leave it idling in XeXMenu? An old version of XeXMenu had a bug that raped the CPU when you sat in XeXMenu, resulting in serious temperatures.

Your GPU seems very low for stock heating too, and you probably don't even have the GPU heatsink with the heatpipe...

Check your fans are running, both of them.

Do not worry about overheating your console once or twice, once they reach 95C or maybe 100C the console cuts power to the CPU and GPU and flashes two red lights :)

Just don't keep doing it, use it to find the source of the problem.

found the source of the problem.

when i put the case back togther, and screw everything down, it over heats.

but if i dont put in the long screws, its fine.

ive ghetto mounted 4 60mm fans inside, and wired them in, and everything is perfect now.
    idle temps on the cpu are 55ish, gpu 35ish.

happy days. ill throw up some pics in the morning, but need sleep after a long day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds like a wire is being crimped/shorted then by one of the long screws. You should put in one screw at a time until you find which one it is, then sort it out. The only reason I say this is because its not good to have shorts, and if those interior fans ever fail without your knowledge - your gonna have a very expensive and rare George Foreman under your tv.

we went throught the entire thing, and couldn't find a single cable that was being hit by a screw.

ive decided that im going to mod the case quite a lot, so for now, its working perfectly until i plan out my next mod!

thanks for all the help guys. here's the pics from the mod with the fans :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=106891&stc=1&d=1267880339

attachment.php?attachmentid=106892&stc=1&d=1267880339

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Nice Work Royal!!!!

As long as it keeps the temps down is worth doing!!!

the next big thing is some liquid cooling in there!!!!! But thats down the road when homebrew on the xbox 360 takes off a little bit.

Hope they find another exploit in the new xbox 360 kernels!!! Then that would mean jaspers for all!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You were saying you bought the xbox on ebay, so itcould well be a RROD fix, maybe they didnt reapply the thermal compound right

its still got the old x clamps on it. when the case arrived, it had never been used from what i could tell. it even had the plastic cover on the dvd drive.

anyway, she's working fine now :) just playing around with different items i can do and such.

happy days and thanks for all the help guys!

Advertisement