Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Poets are likely to come up this year in Honours English??

Options
  • 04-03-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

If you were to study 3 of them what would they be and what poems??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I'm guessing Kavannahg,Boland,elliot an longley.....just my guess but kavannagh is off the course next year an hasnt been up in a while so hes almost quaranteed to come up!!atleast in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

As far as I know, a woman poet always comes up to keep the feminists off their back. So if there's only a few women, just study them. I did my LC in 2005 and the only two women on our course were Eavan Boland and Emily Dickinson. I studied just the two of them, no one else, and both of them came up so I was laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm hoping Boland comes up (said it a million times before but i'd love if she did :o). Other than that Kavanagh and maybe Yeats. Havn't done a lot poetry wise though i've only covered 3 poets and half of two others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Very risky strategy OP, but my bet is Elliot, Yeats and Rich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

People may hate Rich but she's easy to answer on. I hope she comes up.

Also, look at the poets that are up for 2011. Sometimes, if it's a poet's last year, they may try and put him/her on the LC. (although I wouldn't rely on it). Yeats, Rich and Kavanagh are all on next year's LC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

People may hate Rich but she's easy to answer on. I hope she comes up.

Also, look at the poets that are up for 2011. Sometimes, if it's a poet's last year, they may try and put him/her on the LC. (although I wouldn't rely on it). Yeats, Rich and Kavanagh are all on next year's LC, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Just to let ye know that Rich is not coming up. They wont put her on cause she is too extreme!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just to let ye know that Rich is not coming up. They wont put her on cause she is too extreme!

Says who? She wasn't too extreme for the SEC in 2008. She's just as likely as any other poet to come up this year. You could even argue that she is more likely than some due to her gender, assuming that 2010 will have at least one female poet (there aren't that many to choose from).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Says who? She wasn't too extreme for the SEC in 2008. She's just as likely as any other poet to come up this year. You could even argue that she is more likely than some due to her gender, assuming that 2010 will have at least one female poet (there aren't that many to choose from).

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

What Poets are likely to come up this year in Honours Englis??

avan Bolan, Parick Avanag I ope.

What?

I'm replying to the fact that you said Rich won't come up because she's too extreme. She has just as much chance as any other poet to come up. If she was too extreme, they wouldn't have put her on the cirriculum. Also, the fact that she came up in 2008 shows that she is not too extreme for the State Exams Commission.

Do you understand now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've a feeling ol' WB will be making an appearance, and possible Rich over Boland which isn't a good thing.

After that, it's a guessing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I need opinions!

Do you think i'd be safe to study Boland, Yeats and Rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I'm thinking Kavanagh, Boland, Eliot and Yeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I need opinions!

There the exact three I'm studying, your safe either way you look at it...(I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

You can pretty much guarantee that a woman will come up so you could study the women only. Same goes for Irish poets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Longley and Boland...With high chance of Kavanagh followed by Yeats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Seloth wrote: »
    Longley and Boland...With high chance of Kavanagh followed by Yeats :D

That's four Irish poets, won't happen. It'll be either Kavanagh or Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Considering that Boland and Yeats made an appearance in both mocks, I would guess that they both have a high chance of coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Emma1992

gant0 wrote: »
    I'm guessing Kavannahg,Boland,elliot an longley.....just my guess but kavannagh is off the course next year an hasnt been up in a while so hes almost quaranteed to come up!!atleast in my opinion.

Kavanagh is actually on the course next year for 2011.. My sister is a year below me and he is def on the course. Eliot however isn't and he hasn't come up for a few years.. so perhaps he is one to look out for

deemark wrote: »
    Or no Longley, he's been up more recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Or no Longley, he's been up more recently.
    But the fact that Longely was up last year on the orginal paper, but then thanks to the mess up ended up not coming up, makes it likely that they'll have him up this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Yeats ands Boland would be my guesses. I have no idea about what other poets could come out. Is everyone here learning 3 poets? We were told that we should learn 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

zoom! wrote: »
    Is everyone here learning 3 poets? We were told that we should learn 5.

I'm learning Boland, Yeats and Rich thats all!

deemark wrote: »

Please prove to me that you are right on this?

And If those are four poets that wont show up then why is it that you directly followed by listing two of the ones I mentioned....FAIL! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

i hate all this guessing crap! just do all the poets your meant to, study them well then you will be able to answer on anyone that comes up.

hope eliot does anyway :) love his poetry!

Seloth wrote: »
    Please prove to me that you are right on this?

And If those are four poets that wont show up then why is it that you directly followed by listing two of the ones I mentioned....FAIL! :P

The way you phrased your post made it sound like you thought Boland, Longley, Kavanagh and Yeats were all going to appear on the paper. I think you meant that Kavanagh is likely, followed by Yeats (in terms of how likely they are to appear) but it's the way you phrased it that caused the confusion.

I'd love to see Kavanagh or Longley on it, possibly even Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Anyone learning a general response on a likely poet/all of the poets?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Know your Irish poets and your female poets. Both have appeared every year since new course was first examined in 2001. Obviously there are no guarantees but the pattern is there.

Ugh I really dont like Rich :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I need opinions!

Kavanagh instead IMO

Advertisement