Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS visible today at 7:23 pm

Options
  • 04-03-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

according to the nasa tracker....SW direction

its also visible twice in 2 hours tomorrow at 6.14pm and 7.48pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Wow from Westport in Mayo, its really clear. 18:58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

i just hope im right on this,worth a look anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Just saw it over Cork (I think).

nasa tracker is about spot on, was nice to see it tonight, must invest in a decent scope soon..

i think i saw it too,not sure though,was it really bright?

• Advertisement

If you looked where the sun had set, it was the only bright 'gold' coloured star in the sky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Visible around 19:46 this evening {Fri 5 March} for about 2 minutes moving from souty west towards south east.

Sat it will be visible 18:39 for less than 1 minute but for 2 minutes at about 20:10

Sun about 19:01 for 4 minutes and again at 08:35 for about a minute.

Forcast is good so we should have clear skies. Dont forget your looking at an amazing vehicle. It has 5 people living on board it at the moment, is travelling at 17500 mph around the Earth, 270 miles up. It circles the planet 16 times a day.
    Get out and take a look, bring your kids out and show them and tell them about it:)
    s130e012150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Hi Guys, how will I know I am looking at it. tonight? What direction and height should I be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

I may have seen it by chance last night.

If I did, it passed slightly below Mars, left to right trajectory when facing Mars.

Coudl just have been an old ordinary satellite though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Won't be seeing much here,big thick blanket of cloud over West Dublin!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Just passed over Tipp. :)

great view of it here in cork!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Hi Guys, how will I know I am looking at it. tonight? What direction and height should I be looking at?

You cant miss it. It is a like a bright star moving normally from southwest or west towards the east or southeast. It is by far the brightest "Star" in the sky and moves quite quickly taking at most 4 minutes to cross from one horizon to the other.

Clouds clearing nicely here in Waterford. so looking good to see this evenings passes. First at 18:39 for less than a min and again at 20:10 for 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Very cloudy, but managed to see if for a few seconds alright. Too cloudy to allow time to train a scoe on it though.

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Very cloudy, but managed to see if for a few seconds alright. Too cloudy to allow time to train a scoe on it though.
    Saw nothing, clouds rolled back in and covered the sky:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've made out a list of all ISS passes for the next week or so and can't be bothered typing it again so click here!

The best, highest, brightest passes are coming in the middle of the month! :D I meant to see tonight's one but I forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I saw a very good pass during the week when it wasn't supposed to be visible, 11pm"ish" tuesday night, tipperary. Is there anything else up there that looks like the space station?

Claer skies this evening:) 4 minute pass starting at 19:01

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Beeker wrote: »
    Claer skies this evening:) 4 minute pass starting at 19:01
    Ill take a look at that then.

• Advertisement

Beautiful clear pass just now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

should be oh in the few mins i am in dublin traveling west to east

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

beautiful oh

Fantastic pass 2 min ago.. It really was motoring. Lovely:D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Really good site with 10 day predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

2 stroke wrote: »
    I saw a very good pass during the week when it wasn't supposed to be visible, 11pm"ish" tuesday night, tipperary. Is there anything else up there that looks like the space station?

There are a few other satellites that could be confused for the ISS, but not really for brightness. An Iridium flare would usually be brighter than the ISS unless the observer is fairly far from the flare centre line. Another possibility would be one of the US radar spy satellites (Lacrosse), as these can be particularly bright as well, and I've seen these flare brightly as well.

Generally the ISS won't be visible past about 9pm this time of the year as it would be in the Earth's shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Just brought my 4 year old niece out to see it passing there.

Shocked how interested she was with it, Shes still waiting for it to land in Ireland and the green men to get out of it though.:D
    Shes now eating waffles that she demanded be cut into a rocket shape Lol.:)

jimbis wrote: »

Shocked how interested she was with it, Shes still waiting for it to land in Ireland and the green men to get out of it though.:D
    Great to get the kids interested!! Passing again tonight around 19:06 for about 4 minutes from the southwest to the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    Great to get the kids interested!! Passing again tonight around 19:06 for about 4 minutes from the southwest to the east.[/QUOTE

Hiya Beeker , actual pass time is.........

On the horizon in the S/W @ 7:02pm
    Overhead 7:07pm ( 76 Degrees Elevation ) and
    Fade at 7:10pm

Hope the sky stays clear for you in the Deise :D;):p:)

Saw the ISS the past few nights , very bright , had Telescope out ,had great views of the Orion Nebula etc , didnt get chance to post comments on all your posts Beeker , will do shortly :) Has LL stil got on his Tee-shirt , im with ynotdu on this one hehehe

Clear skies folks
    Hope the ISS is visible for everyone

Regards
    Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

jimbis wrote: »

jimbis CLASS !! :D:p

Advertisement