Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian restaurant

Options
  • 04-03-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Looking for a nice Italian restaurant on sat. With stone baked oven or others and nice early bird prices. any suggestions for later for a mixed group would be great and locations of Galway Hooker (the drink) thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not eaten there but Ive but Ive been told its the real McCoy by an Italian friend: the Italian beside the hostel across from the Quays pub on Quay St. Its definatly cheap. Sign outside says starter, main and drink for 15 euro. For Galway Hooker after: Ti Neactain just 4 doors up the road. They have regular and dark Hooker. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

savage italian restaurant in oranmore called basilico if ye can find a designted driver to take ye into town afterwards.there is also a lovely italian near to the new citylink bus station.can't remember the name but it was really tasty and only a couple of minutes walk from eyre square.i'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Mustard is fab... I can't praise it enough! May not be as Italian as you want, but my god they do a FAB pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Da Robertas in Salthill

Almuretto in Forster St

Both excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Da Robertas in Salthill

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Al Muretto closed at the moment. Opening under new management soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Al Muretto closed at the moment. Opening under new management soon.

Had heard good things but my g/f got something nasty on her pizza there once and they still tried to charge us for it so needless to say we never went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Al Muretto the food is terrible as experienced by our office when a staff member was having a leaving do everyone to a man and women agreed the food was terrible.

On the other hand had great experiences in Trattoria on Quay street always good and have eated there regularly for years and never had a bad meal and very reasonable to. Basilico in Oranmore is good two but the service can be abit hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Thanks boardies..
    Have my galway hooker map from there website. could be a decent pub crawl . Havent tried the dark yet but will give it a go..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Hondo>>> Basilico as above is very nice but in town, it's not strictly speaking Italian restaurant but the cheese & meat platter in Sheridans on the docks, they have Hooker as well. I suggest making it one of your stops. Brought work there, share platters, much appreciated by all.

Everybody (most) seems to like Al Muretto, I was not impressed with it...but may just be my taste, or that I'm not easily impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'd go to Al Muretto much more often if I could park there. Got clamped once and haven't been back since, thanks APCOA! (yeah I know it was my fault and all but STILL...)
    Hope new management can sort some spaces out.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

A resounding +1 on Da Robertos. Ate there last Sunday and was super yum and the staff are really very sound.

Can't remember the name of it but that little café/restaurant down from Halo on Abbeygate Street is cheap and cheerful and I have enjoyed it anytime I've been. Pasta is good and the rest of the menu quite varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Can't remember the name of it but that little café/restaurant down from Halo on Abbeygate Street is cheap and cheerful and I have enjoyed it anytime I've been. Pasta is good and the rest of the menu quite varied.

That's Buon Appetitio, it's nice and fairly cheap.

I can't stand the Trattoria on Dominic St, it's so overpriced and I don't like the food there at all. Da Robertas is lovely but most of their food is very rich and creamy so you wouldn't want to be going there too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sign outside says starter, main and drink for 15 euro. For Galway Hooker after: Ti Neactain just 4 doors up the road. They have regular and dark Hooker. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Trattoria is it?

That seems like a great deal.

Is it still going on does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AutumnComission

DaRobertas, DaRobertas, DaRobertas!! All the way! Cannot praise it enough! They have really good early bird prices as I got a text alert of it recently but unfortunately I cannot remember it! Remember thinking it was good value though. Its before 7pm anyway I think. My Fiancee used to be a chef so is really fussy when it comes to food, pastas and sauces etc. He loves it too! There is a tang off the lasagne that just cannot be replicated.

There is also a place in Ballybane called Bethlehem. Pizzas there are really good, best in town after DaRobertas, but havent had anything else there so cannot comment on the pastas or remainder of menu.

Go with DaRobertas. Evry time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJRocket

Al Muretto renamed as Bella Roma, not open yet.....
    Just passed it today and the signmakers were working on it.
    That place went downhill with all the changes of management so hopefully this new takeover will be as good as the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

DaRobertas, DaRobertas, DaRobertas!! All the way! Cannot praise it enough! They have really good early bird prices as I got a text alert of it recently but unfortunately I cannot remember it! Remember thinking it was good value though. Its before 7pm anyway I think. My Fiancee used to be a chef so is really fussy when it comes to food, pastas and sauces etc. He loves it too! There is a tang off the lasagne that just cannot be replicated.

There is also a place in Ballybane called Bethlehem. Pizzas there are really good, best in town after DaRobertas, but havent had anything else there so cannot comment on the pastas or remainder of menu.

Go with DaRobertas. Evry time!!

Funny enough with Bethlehem I'm not a huge fan of their pizza but I love their Chicken Cacciatore and Chicken Al Fungai. Their Chicken Curry, Tikka etc. isn't great. Their chips are lovely!!..screw McDonaghs chips, go for theirs.so nice

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

+1 on Da Robertas.....

one word...YUMMY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bethlehem's Pizzas are nice - but their pasta isn't good at all. The sauces are great but it must be the only italian place owned by italians that overcooks pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 solid oak

Mulberrys and the 12 in Barna do great pizza and mulberrys also have pastas

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

basilico is great in oranmore & has a good deal on an early bird midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Although they can be still nice. I feel Trattoria, Fat Freddies, Al Muretto and (especially) DaRobertos are shadows of their former selves.

I believe there was a thread about six months ago where DaRobertos got thrashed by dozens of posters mainly about the quality decline since moving to a new premises. I hope it has improved since as it was my favourite restaurant for two or three years.

I always order the pizza so i don't know about the rest but Napoli (wee bistro next door to Neachtains), Bistro Bianconi-a bit greasy but still quality (Westside), Basilico/Coach House (Oranmore), Mustard-hit & miss but can be an awesome pizza (Bridge Mills) and Il Foletto-only there once but it was nice (beside Trattoria on Quay Street) have been good to me recently.

Haven't been to Betheleham or out Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The 15 quid deal I was was thinking about, and had recently was Il Folletto, different to Trattoria. The former was really nice and nice service! For Pizza, regular boardsies know that I am a Bistro Bianchonis devotee! Mmmmm!

Advertisement