Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sports books.

Options
  • 04-03-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Could someone recommend me a few? Any sport will do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Football against the enemy - Simon Kuper

How football Explains the World - Franklin Foer (I think)

Onice In A Lifetime (it's about the New York Cosmos) Can't remember the author

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

The Damned Utd deserves a mention. It's a fictionalised account of Brian Clough's time at Leeds, written from his perspective. Full of loathing and paranoia, it's quite an intense and unique read. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    The Damned Utd deserves a mention. It's a fictionalised account of Brian Clough's time at Leeds, written from his perspective. Full of loathing and paranoia, it's quite an intense and unique read. I would highly recommend it.

+1. David Peace is the authors name.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

The Last Shot by Darcy Frey, great basketball book, better than Heaven is a Playground.

David Walsh's biography of Sean Kelly if you can get your hands on it, superb read, i've read it 10-12 times at this stage.

Keith Duggan writes well on the GAA aswell, The Lifelong Season is very good.

Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGinniss about an Italian soccer team that gets promoted to Serie B is suppossed to be very good also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I haven't read many sports books, but I loved "The Fight" by Norman Mailer, about the famous "Rumble in the Jungle" between Mohammed Ali and George Foreman. Great on the sport itself, but also on the politics etc surrounding the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Inverting the Pyramid - Jonathan Wilson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Provided You Don't Kiss Me - 20 Years With Brian Clough by Duncan Hamilton also warrants a mention as a companion piece to The Damned Utd. Hamilton was the local papers Nottingham Forest correspondent for most if not all of Cloughs time there and it is a wonderful account of a complex man.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Provided-You-Dont-Kiss-Me/dp/0007247117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267809073&sr=1-1

Some other good sports books that I have read are:

Friday Night Lights as already mentioned

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand is one of the best books that I have ever read be it sports or not. Forget the movie and grab the book about one of the most amazing sports stories of the 20th century. And I don't even like horse racing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seabiscuit-True-Story-Three-Racehorse/dp/1841150924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267809174&sr=1-1

Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew is a good book about Italian Football.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forza-Italia-Fall-Italian-Football/dp/0091905621/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267809199&sr=1-1

America's Game by Michael McCambridge is a great book about how the NFL brought American Football from a joke of a sport to the dominant sports league in America and overtook baseball as their national passtime.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Americas-Game-Football-Captured-Vintage/dp/0375725067/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267809220&sr=1-1

I'm sure there is more and if I think of them I will post some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Nick Hornby, 'Fever Pitch'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Feet in the Clouds Great book about a runners obsession
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feet-Clouds-Story-Running-Obsession/dp/1845130820

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 i_inky

It is an autobiography but Paul McGraths "Back from the Brink" is superb.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Brink-Autobiography-Paul-McGrath/dp/1846050766

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage is good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

buck65 wrote: »

Can't believe I forgot that, best sports book ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Roy Keanes autobiography is a great laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Futebol- A Brazilian Way of Life.great book.irish people are sports mad but brazilians are devoutly religious about their football.very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I was looking for the same thing a few years ago, and just googled and found the sports book of the year [formerly wipbread [sp?], now william hill I think]. 20 odd years of 'the best sports book of that year'

As mentioned by someone else - The Miracle of Castel de Sangrio is the best sports book I have read :)

A good walk spoiled, is a good one about the world of professional golf

Lance Armstrongs first book 'its all about the bike' should be made mandatory reading, both the sports sections and the dealing with cancer sections are amazing.

Ellen McArther's book about sailing around the world on her own was good?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

I recently acquired 'The Greatest game ever played' by Mark Frost, the story of the 1913 U.S Open (Golf) in which the legendary Harry Vardon goes toe-to-toe with a young pretender in the shape of Francis Oiumet. I'm only half way through so far, but clearly an excellent book and would certainly also be of interest to those not particularly keen on golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Lance Armstrongs first book 'its all about the bike' should be made mandatory reading, both the sports sections and the dealing with cancer sections are amazing.

Ellen McArther's book about sailing around the world on her own was good?

Read Armstrong too, was big into him once upon a time but i no longer believe in the guy. Too many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Read Armstrong too, was big into him once upon a time but i no longer believe in the guy. Too many questions.
    I'm not a big fan of his, or the sport tbh - so I'm not that pushed. But that first book is excellent, regardless of questions you have around his career. The middle 3rd about his cancer is real page turning stuff.

IMHO - if there was dirty laundry there the french press would have gotten it and publicized it, as they were after him in a big way for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage is good

+1

I don't know anything about cycling but I thought this was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I'm not a big fan of his, or the sport tbh - so I'm not that pushed. But that first book is excellent, regardless of questions you have around his career. The middle 3rd about his cancer is real page turning stuff.

IMHO - if there was dirty laundry there the french press would have gotten it and publicized it, as they were after him in a big way for a while.

True. But the links with a certain Italian blood doping doctor was enough for me to lose interest. I would like to be wrong but professional cycling is rotten to the core and nearly every recent winner of the big Tours has been linked to doping scandals. (Pantani, Ulrich, Riis, Delgado, Landis, even our own Roche and Kelly)
    Kimmage's book is superb. Did anyone see the square off between Kimmage and Armstrong last year? I think Kimmage actually said that Armstrong was great to conquer cancer but he was like a cancer to the sport now?!! Jesus!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah have to say rough ride is a great book.

Regret not reading it earlier, for some reason i thought Paul Kimmage was the guy who did the soccer on setanta who i disslike alot.

If you read it followed by "bad blood: the secret life of the tour de france" by Jeremy Whittle you'll never look at cycling in the same light again.

Lance Armstrongs first book is very good too, i really liked him after it. his second one was not so good and he kinda contradicted or changed his mind on some of the stuff from the first one.

Eamonn Dunphys "only a game" is pretty good too, short but good.

I have to say i hated "the damned united" and i'd be with John Giles on it. Its a novel and was made up and as such is fiction.

Wile not quite traditional sport Jon Krakeur's "into thin air", and "dark summit" by Nick Heil are both great reads about people climbing on Everest. Into thin air is about when a big storm hit in 1996 with people on the mountain, darks summit is based in 2008 when no storm hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mr Fonnen

calcio By John Foot. Its a really well done analysis and history of Italian Footballing history just a great read

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I came on here to suggest Calcio, Forza Italia and Futebol. All really good for a football fan.

Another I keep hearing about is A Season With Verona by Tim Parks. Everyone who's read it has recommended it to me.

Brian Clough and Pelé's autobiographies are both very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    i_inky wrote: »
    It is an autobiography but Paul McGraths "Back from the Brink" is superb.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Brink-Autobiography-Paul-McGrath/dp/1846050766

+1 both are excellent reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

A year with Verona is excellently written and a great read.
    The miracle of castel di sangro is a pretty amazing story but not so well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Two excellent boxing books i have read..

Dark Trade by Donald McCrae

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Trade-Boxing-Donald-McRae/dp/1840189568

and

Four Kings by George Kimball.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Trade-Boxing-Donald-McRae/dp/1840189568

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Not massively sporty, and quite out there as sports go (mountaineering), but Joe Simpson's "Touching the Void" is a great book. Edgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Very hard to get good rugby books. Winter Colours by Don McIntyre is pretty much the best that I have come across. Crashed and Byrned by Tommy Byrne about the legendary race car driver Tommy Byrne is a real page turner. Most of the other great books have already been mentioned. Dunphy, Kimmage etc. Green Fields by Tom Humphries is a great gaa book.

Advertisement