Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which strikers would you take to the WC as England boss?

• 04-03-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Hey,just wondering what strikers you'd bring to the WC as England boss?
    Topic of a lot of debate.
    My 5 would be:
    Wayne Rooney,
    Jermaine Defoe,
    Carlton Cole,
    Gabby Agbonlahor,
    Michael Owen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Crouch instead of Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I would bring:

- Rooney
    - Defoe
    - Crouch
    - Heskey
    - One of Agbonlahor/Cole depending on their form up to the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rooney.

Everyone else is irrelevant to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I was having a bit of trouble with my final choice alright,but I figured that even if Owen didn't play much he'd be handy to have around the training camp,or for use as an impact sub as Fergie has used him as a lot of times this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

rooney, defoe, crouch, agbonlahor, heskey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Wayne Rooney
    Peter Crouch
    Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Jermaine Defoe

that'd be about it. Michael Owen if he started scoring a hattrick a game or something. But nah....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    and Darren Bent, but he'll never be considered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

heskey shouldnt be near the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rooney
    Defoe
    Gabby
    Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rooney
    crouch

they should start

defoe
    owen (the guy can score goals at the top level)
    then there would be a couple of guys

• Advertisement

Jason Lee, Heskey, Owen, Bent, Davies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch. 5th choice, if taken, would be from either Cole or Agbonlahor

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Jason Lee, Heskey, Owen, Bent, Davies.

pineapple_head_1982.jpg

Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch. 5th choice, if taken, would be from either Cole or Agbonlahor

why Heskey Mitch ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Cole, Agbonlahor

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Rooney - No explanation needed
    Heskey - Proven to be the best possible partner for Rooney
    Defoe - Clinical, fast and in good form.
    Crouch - Good goalscoring record for England and handy if your chasing a game.

I wouldn't even bother with a fifth striker as there's no more that are good enough. but if they do bring 5 then it should be Cole or Gabby.

Headshot wrote: »
    why Heskey Mitch ?

Because he has proven to be a very good partner for Rooney, who England will need to get the best out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    Owen, Cole or Bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd agree wit frisbee, i'd have Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Heskey. Then Cole, Bent and Agbonlahor in reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Rooney, Defoe, Agbonlahor, Crouch.

The pick whoever is on form come WC time from Cole/Heskey/Owen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

rooney, heskey, defoe, crouch, owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'd take:

1. Rooney
    2. Defoe
    3. Heskey
    4. Agbonlahor
    5. Crouch

Pretty obvious for me. Maybe Owen in there too.

Because he has proven to be a very good partner for Rooney, who England will need to get the best out of.

I was thinking that was the reason alright, but crouch and cole have that physical attribute to beable to hold up the ball and header on Rooney etc, same stuff that Heskey does

both score goals too, unlike Heskey

I just see no need for Heskey to go to WC tbh

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Surprised so many people saying Owen, liability for his injury record alone

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

zamora should be in ahead of owen tbh.

On paper they have the attributes required, but Heskey is PROVEN as a partner for Rooney. Crouch is a proven goal scorer at international level, yes, but i don't know if he links as well with Rooney. Regardless, Crouch is going to the World Cup.

For me, the choice would be between Heskey and Coles, Bent or Zamora - and none of the latter 3 are proven at international level. Heskey doesn't score, or at least not enough, but i think his workrate and partnership with Rooney is enough to get him on the plane. If there are 5 strikers taken, then I really think there is even less reason to not bring him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Mr Alan wrote: »

Not even been picked for England yet.

No matter what Capello likes the Rooney/Heskey combo and I can't see many of the other players besides Defoe getting much time on the pitch.

agreed. better goal scorer this season, and offers a better physical threat.

However, I would say Owen is better proven at international level, and is more intelligent in terms of running and positioning.

It is his lack of game time that golds him back imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Darren Bent, Carlton Cole.

2 Big men and then 3 strikers.

• Advertisement

also his injuries too Mitch, i know Owen likes to pretend he ain't really injury prone, but despite his low number of starts this season, he's picked up injuries after 2 of his starts.

also his injuries too Mitch, i know Owen likes to pretend he ain't really injury prone, but despite his low number of starts this season, he's picked up injuries after 2 of his starts.

Only thing is, if you're bringing Owen you're bringing him to play the last 10-15 mins of a game. I know he's had his injuries but I'd much prefer to see Owen come on alongside Rooney than Zamora if it was required.

That is of course he is fit prior to leaving for S. Africa.

i'd prefer Crouch, Agbonlahor, Bent, Cole and Zamora, i just don't think Owen offers enough anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well at this stage there is no chance zamora should be considered, he hasnt a single cap and isnt exactly brilliant.

Bent has had chances at international level and hasnt taken them. he has a poor first touch and isnt a very clever footballer.

The reason is would pick the ones i chose is for different options:

Rooney - no explanation needed
    heskey - key to the way england play, he was a big reason for them being top scorers in the qualifiers
    Defoe - a very good finisher and quick. A different prospect to bring on against tired legs.
    Crouch - a goal threat but also gives an option to hit it long if needed.
    Owen - experience. he has been there before with england, he is a good finisher and is clever enough too.

I wouldnt take agbonlahor as he is a copy of defoe and not as good a finisher. Dont see the point in bringing him. he's an average striker. zamora for my reasons above, same with bent.

Cole i like a lot and i think that after the WC, he will be brought in to the team to play the heskey role. but i dont see a role for him at this WC, not with heskey there.

Picking a WC squad is not just as simple as picking the lads who are scoring more goals, you need to look at the different scenarios likely to arise and the players that can suit those scenarios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would take:

- Rooney
    - Defoe
    - Crouch
    - Cole
    - Agbonlahor

Hate to say it but Owen's fitness makes him a liability. Wish it wasn't the case but the Carling Cup final confirmed it in my mind. The idea of Zamora being ahead of him in the queue though did make me laugh. Come on he is not a guy you want to have to turn to in a major international tournament when the chips are down.

Can you really see Capello needing to thrown on a striker and turning to Bobby Zamora?

Heskey shouldn't be involved either. I know Rooney likes him around but Cole offers a physical presence and can actually score goals as well. Bent should be in contention but on form I'd put Agbonlahor over him.

i think he'll only bring 4.

• Advertisement

i think he'll only bring 4.

Wouldn't be surprised, especially if he plans on playing Barry/Gerrard/Lampard with two wingers (most likely Milner and Lennon if fit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If he also Walcott and Gerrard in the squad then I think four will be enough.

I would go Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Heskey along with Gabby if he takes five.

Its the deefence that worries me though, forwards are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

1. Wayne Rooney
    2. Peter Crouch
    3. Jermaine Defoe.

These 3 are definates, and will for certain go to the World Cup. The remaining 1 or 2 places is the rather nice headache Capello is left with.

Zamora won't go. Yes he's in good-ish form, but he's never been capped before. I'm sure he's got no problem scoring against Sunderland and Stoke and the likes but does ayone really think he'll be able to score against the Italians or the Germans? I think not.

Heskey I'm not sure about. Doesn't play regularly enough for his club, when he does get a few games in he's never prolific. Again another one who I think might just not be able to cut quality wise. To put it simply, I can't see England winning the World Cup with Heskey starting up front. The big but here being that Capello seems to like him, and that matters a whole lot more then whether I do.

Darren Bent. Probably has the best chance out of the outsiders of going to South Africa simply because he's scoring goals and is in relativley good form. Capello has said this will have a major effect of how he picks his squad, one which I'm sure we'll see Bent in if he maintains scoring form until May.

Agbonglahor. I'm not sure what to say about this fella apart from I don't think he'll be going. Yes he's quick and that in itself will pose a danger to and team but he doesn't score enough for a striker and is fairly young and inexperienced. Plenty of time for him to develop and get to a few World Cups but I don't think this'll be one.

Owen. Again, doesn't play regularly enough. Has managed to nick a few goals here and there but not as much as he's of liked I'd of imagined, but alot of this has been down to the amount of time on the treatment table. One thing he has over every other English striker though is experience. He's played in 3 World Cups before, scored and played against the best. Certainly a player Capello must be thinking he'd like to have on the bench with 25 mins to go and England needing a goal. Only problem is that he hasn't been picked in any squads. Who knows if can get fit and keep fit, play abit more between now and the end of the season scoring a few goals...

Carlton Cole. Had been in the goals for West Ham before he picked up his injury, and has since been out for a while. Not got that much international experience which may run against him therefore it could be a battle between him and Heskey if Capello wishes to bring another tall target striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Helix wrote: »
    rooney, defoe, crouch, agbonlahor, heskey
    This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

i'd prefer Crouch, Agbonlahor, Bent, Cole and Zamora, i just don't think Owen offers enough anymore.
    No mention of Rooney there Mr Alan:confused:

MIN2511 wrote: »
    No mention of Rooney there Mr Alan:confused:
    Over-rated to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey and Owen for me, just to annoy Mr Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    then its dependant on form between

Heskey, Cole, Owen (long shot but sure if he is fit and playing he has to be considered)

EDIT: add Darren Bent to that list actually! forgot him, wouldnt be taking Agbonlaghor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

I'd bring 4

Rooney
    Heskey
    Crouch
    Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Heskey shouldn't be involved either.

Why? He is proven as a perfect foil for Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Cole and Kevin Davies. Davies has been a really consistent player for Bolton and if Capello is looking for a player who can hold the ball up and doesn't necessarily want a goal threat then Davies is a better option than Heskey. The other 4 should be guarantees in terms of the best 2 small and big men who can score in the country.

personally, I'd only take 4 and play the 4-5-1

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Cole and Kevin Davies. Davies has been a really consistent player for Bolton and if Capello is looking for a player who can hold the ball up and doesn't necessarily want a goal threat then Davies is a better option than Heskey. The other 4 should be guarantees in terms of the best 2 small and big men who can score in the country.

personally, I'd only take 4 and play the 4-5-1

I agree they need to go 4-5-1, it suits their personnel so much better. Now that Rooney has shown with spectacular effect that he can do damage up front on his own its a total no brainer. It also allows them to have both Gerrard and Lampard in centre field, with a holding midfielder (presumably Barry at this stage) and 2 from Lennon/SWP/Walcott/Joe Cole/Milner in the wide areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The fact that Defoe is one of Englands top 2 or 3 strikers should worry them. He is not international class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Have they got a winger who can cross with such devastating results as Valencia though.

I don't think they do.

Which is why, for England, Rooney needs a partner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement