Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which strikers would you take to the WC as England boss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Rooney,Defoe,Crouch,Owen and Heskey at a push if I was going with 5 but I reckon 4 would be enough.

Don't think that Agbonlahor is that good,that more then half of you's have picked him.Fair enough he has 14 goals this season but he wouldnt score them in any team other then Villa imo.Carlton Cole shouldnt go he hasnt proven himself and he's injury prone and Bent has missed his chance I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    Have they got a winger who can cross with such devastating results as Valencia though
    Lennon or Young would be more than capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Alan wrote: »

Ashley Young? You got to be joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Gillington wrote: »
    Don't think that Agbonlahor is that good,that more then half of you's have picked him.Fair enough he has 14 goals this season but he wouldnt score them in any team other then Villa imo.
    I think that's being very harsh on Agbonlahor tbh, he terrified Vidic at the weekend with his pace.

I do think he's a bit "raw" for the WC though.

I'm fairly dubious about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    Ashley Young? You got to be joking

:confused: Far better than SWP and Walcott that's for sure, Capello just doesn't like him.

JPA wrote: »
    :confused: Far better than SWP and Walcott that's for sure, Capello just doesn't like him.
    I think SWP is better.

I think SWP is better.

You seriously think that?!
    SWP can't cross his legs.

young has let himself down by his form not being the best this season and by not showing up when Capello picked him. lennon's delivery is excellent this season. The likes of gerrapd, johnson, cole, milner and swp, hell even beckham means there'll be no shortage of great deliveries for rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I would bring:

- Rooney
    - Defoe
    - Crouch
    - Heskey
    - Another

I'd say it will be this with anyone whose form is good from now till the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    Bent

Bent has had a decent scoring record for Sunderland, in being honest, a pretty weak side. With some better delivery he could be a great asset.

I do believe he'd score a lot more if he had better players around him.

My starting 2 would still be Crouch and Rooney though, and if it needs changing, you've got 3 quick players on the bench in Defoe, Agbonlahor and Bent.

EDIT: Also to mention, on current form, I'd have Zamora as my reserve ahead of Owen, he's done fcuk all in 2 years and being honest, isn't deserving of a place in the squad.

question marks may arise of crouch, certainly as a starter, if the russian keeps him out of the spurs team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Col200sx wrote: »
    he's done fcuk all in 2 years

Hat-trick in the CL, and scored in a cup final at the weekend.

Yeah, fúck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Have they got a winger who can cross with such devastating results as Valencia though.

I don't think they do.

Which is why, for England, Rooney needs a partner.

Lennon actually has nearly twice as many assists as Valencia this season and that in as seasoen where he's been out injured since Christmas.

Don't forget England also have the greatest crosser of a ball in living memory on the bench, who happens to be playing on the right hand side of a 4-3-3/4-5-1 for AC Milan to decent effect at he moment.

The Valooney partnership has been great, but theres so much more to Rooney's game than just the supply Valencia gives him. He still plays brilliantly up front on his own without Valencia and the lack of Valencia in the England team is nowhere near a good enough reason to not play 4-5-1 for England tbh.

JPA wrote: »
    You seriously think that?!
    SWP can't cross his legs.
    Young for me has been very disappointing this season, if ure judging the players on crossing, i think they're more or less simlar, why swp is better because be has great skill, beats men and has been better than young this season imo

Young for me has been very disappointing this season, if ure judging the players on crossing, i think they're more or less simlar, why swp is better because be has great skill, beats men and has been better than young this season imo

SWP has had a poor season so far. Although I've never rated him as a good player so maybe I'm biased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey, Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Lol; seems like everyone's expecting England to win this :D

Should be an interesting Summer...

Capello might just shock us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Why is everyone assuming they'll take 5 strikers? I imagined it would be 4. Could be either I suppose.

Rooney will obviously be name number 1 on the sheet.

I think Crouch and Defoe are about 95% certain to be on the plane. I know Crouch has lost his place at Tottenham for now, but he's scored 20 goals in 37 games for England, that's a very decent record at international level. And he will almost certainly get enough game time at Spurs between now and the end of the season to keep Capello happy.

That leaves possibly only one place up for grabs, and it's much of a muchness really between a few players. Michael Owen is clearly not the player he used to be but he's proven at the highest level, unlike players such as Bent and Agbonlahor, and would be a great player to have on the bench with 20 mins to go if you're chasing a goal. Though always an injury risk it must be said.

So for me it would be Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Owen.

Though Owen's lack of gametime, and now his injury aswell, will probably rule him out in Capello's mind. So I'd say that the fourth (and possibly fifth) spot is wide open.

I've a feeling Capello will bring Heskey, though personally I'm not a fan. He has the touch of a baby elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hat-trick in the CL, and scored in a cup final at the weekend.

Yeah, fúck all.

you forgot

scored a late late winner in the manchester derby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Gabby.

Gives the manager the most options imo, the fox in the box in Defoe, the big man to hold up the ball in Crouch and Gabby if you need pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, Owen won't be going. Out for the rest of the season (Op on Monday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

In order of preference
    Rooney
    Defoe/Crouch
    Bent
    Agbonlahor or else Cole (depending of form from now until the end of the season)

I don't know what Darren Bent has to do impress Capello (or the public in general for that matter). He has a great scoring record. Especially taking into account the rubbish teams he has been playing for most of his career. He is as good a finisher as Rooney, can challenge in the air, has good strength and movement. Not the paciest but not slow either. I would love if Liverpool signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rooney - no question
    Crouch - for his scoring rate and because he can play route one football
    Bent - knows where the net is, has pace
    Cole - because he's better than Heskey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    Bent

Nice balanced list of strikers available to Capello.
    Maybe Cole ahead of Bent, depending on form for the rest of the season. Owen wouldn't get near the squad for me, even if he had stayed injury free for the rest of the season.

It's a funny pool of players they have in England. Strikers, wingers and defenders they have great quality and quantity. Whereas in central midfield they're really weak. It's all down to their silly youth developement strategies in the recent past, I reckon. Too many athletes and game winners, not enough footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor
    Bent

I agree with this. If Owen was fit he'd be a shoe in but thats like saying if Pele was 22 and English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree with this. If Owen was fit he'd be a shoe in but thats like saying if Pele was 22 and English
    I'd be looking for an Irish Granny if this where the case tbh

if Owen was fit he'd be a shoe in?! Dowtf? He's been fit and hasn't been gettin a look in for united or england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd agree with Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Agbonlahor and crouch , they cover all the bases for me. Owen would have been in contention in that list if fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rooney
    Defoe
    Cole
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor

i think this offers a wide range of all sorts of abilites and strengths up front, with many different combinations that could change a game.

yea, owen would have been a good bet, supposedly cappello was so confident in his abilities he didn't even bother calling him up for a single squad.

• Advertisement

Owen out for the season he won't be making any squad now

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_6003813,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So with Owen out for the season it makes things much easier for Capello as the tabloids would probably have had the knives out if he hadn't taken Owen.

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor

Would probably give Cole the fifth spot but could well see it being just the 4 strikers, depending on what happens elsewhere in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think he'll only bring 4.

this is true btw, mine was if he was taking 5

but he'll go with 4, as walcott can also play up there in an emergency

event wrote: »
    this is true btw, mine was if he was taking 5

but he'll go with 4, as walcott can also play up there in an emergency
    A lot of people think tho walcott won't go if Lennon get's fit tho.
    Milner could free up an extra space in midfield tho with his versatility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Rooney
    Agbonlahor
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Heskey

Why all the love for Agbonlahor? He is totally unproven at international level, has only an ok scoring record at club level overall, and wasn't in the last squad. I'd bring him ahead of Heskey alright, but I'm not sure if Capello will.

There seems to be consensus that Rooney, Crouch and Defoe will be there. After that it's a guessing game. It seems Owen had little or no chance of being selected anyway, injury or not.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Why all the love for Agbonlahor? He is totally unproven at international level, has only an ok scoring record at club level overall, and wasn't in the last squad. I'd bring him ahead of Heskey alright, but I'm not sure if Capello will.

He's the only real pace merchant England have though, and pace is something England really lack up front. More recently you have Lennon, Young and Walcott coming through on the wings, but looking back to when they played Heskey up top, Beckham on the right and someone out of position like Scholes/Lamps/Barry on the left they've always ended up very static and relying on set pieces far too much. It's always good to have someone quick in the squad, even if they aren't good enough to start. At least they give you that option to play direct and on the counter. And pace always creates problems for defenders.

He's the only real pace merchant England have though, and pace is something England really lack up front. More recently you have Lennon, Young and Walcott coming through on the wings, but looking back to when they played Heskey up top, Beckham on the right and someone out of position like Scholes/Lamps/Barry on the left they've always ended up very static and relying on set pieces far too much. It's always good to have someone quick in the squad, even if they aren't good enough to start. At least they give you that option to play direct and on the counter. And pace always creates problems for defenders.

I agree with all that*, though it's a sign of how England don't have the same depth of quality of strikers they used to have that a player like Agbonlahor may well make the squad. Now I'm not knocking him, he's a decent player, but in the days of Shearer, Sheringham, Owen etc., he probaly wouldn't have got a look in. On club form Rooney and Defoe should start in SA, but for some reason they haven't gelled together when they've played for England. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney up there by himself in some games.

*except the bit about pace, England do have another pacey striker - Defoe.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    *except the bit about pace, England do have another pacey striker - Defoe.

Somewhat disagree. Defoe is quick over 2 to 3 yards, as in good reactions and acceleration, which is why he is so good around the box. But if you're talking a 20-30 yard dash to get on the end of a ball I don't think he could hold a candle to someone like Gabby or Walcott for outright pace. That's what England have missed since Owen started getting injured.

I've seen a lot more of Agbonlahor than Defoe this season though, so please forgive me if I'm outright wrong.

• Advertisement

if Owen was fit he'd be a shoe in?! Dowtf? He's been fit and hasn't been gettin a look in for united or england.

Well the thread title says "if you were"
    and he is a good impact sub when fit and sharp
    I'd rather take him with Defoe, Rooney, Crouch and Agbonlahor than a Carlton Cole or Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

SlickRic wrote: »
    Rooney
    Defoe
    Cole
    Crouch
    Agbonlahor

i think this offers a wide range of all sorts of abilites and strengths up front, with many different combinations that could change a game.

Presumably Cole is in there ahead of Bent. What puts him ahead of Bent in your opinion? I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking out of genuine interest. Personally I find it hard to choose between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

A lot of people think tho walcott won't go if Lennon get's fit tho.
    Milner could free up an extra space in midfield tho with his versatility.

i reckon walcott will go no matter what

capello likes him, he has frightening pace and can play in two positions

Trilla wrote: »
    Well the thread title says "if you were"
    and he is a good impact sub when fit and sharp
    I'd rather take him with Defoe, Rooney, Crouch and Agbonlahor than a Carlton Cole or Bent.

Good impact sub, with the exception of the City game, has he ever done well coming from the bench for Utd? serious question.

He has 20 sub appearances this season afaik, how many goals came in them? 1? 2?

1? 2?

1 goal in 20 sub appearances is a good impact player?

oooooooooookay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Michael Owen wouldn't have got near the England squad, he is not good enough anymore. Its that simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

oooooooooookay.

Just wait for someone to come in and say that he creates loads of goals and plenty of space for other players

oooooooooookay.

Its not 1. You know it and I know it also. He just scored one last week against West Ham sure after a minute coming off the bench.

I'm saying if I was England manager I'd take him. It would be a risk, but with Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and Agbonlahor already there in the squad I'd pick I think he'd offer something different.

Think its 3 league goals, 4 CL goals and 2 League Cup. Not 100% on that.

Thinking about it even more though I would only bring 4 so maybe not. If there was a 5th I'd bring him over Heskey, Bent and Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pro. F wrote: »
    Presumably Cole is in there ahead of Bent. What puts him ahead of Bent in your opinion? I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking out of genuine interest. Personally I find it hard to choose between them.

purely for a balance.

bent just doesn't quite cut it for me. he's a good Premiership striker, who scores goals obviously, and is decent at everything, but i like the idea of Cole as a strong presence up front (like Heskey), but has an eye for goal, as well as Gabby's pace as an option in reserve.

I like the idea of Rooney/Cole better than Rooney/Bent. Cole/Bent may be a good combination (as maybe would Heskey/Bent), but i don't think both would ever go.

i don't think Bent would offer much as an impact player, he doesn't offer anything that different.

how am i meant to know its not one!? i asked you and you said 1!

LOL :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement