Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which strikers would you take to the WC as England boss?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how am i meant to know its not one!? i asked you and you said 1!

LOL :D

I thought you were being funny seeing as you remembered the City goal and he just got one last week too.

I'm still sticking to my point that a fit Michael Owen would be in my squad. I'd bring 4 strikers though. I think Capello will do the same.

The question will be what wingers he brings - Milner will go. Will Lennon, Wright Phillips, Downing and Joe Cole all fit in the same squad? Bare in mind Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and probably Carrick will travel so thats a lot of Midfielders....for a different thread though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Trilla wrote: »
    I'm still sticking to my point that a fit Michael Owen would be in my squad. I'd bring 4 strikers though. I think Capello will do the same.

A fit Michael Owen would be in mine too. Even with 4 strikers. Owen is not the player he used to be, we all know that, but he still offers more of a threat at this level than Darren Bent ever will. Carlton Cole might be the dark horse, a big strong bustling player, he's Heskey with skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'd pick the five worst players I could possibly find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Mr Alan, would you not concentrate on the problems at your own club rather than talking shíte about a player which you obviously hold a grudge against simply because he moved on to bigger and better things.
    I've lost any bit of respect for your posts after reading your post about Rooney being hugely overrated, in this thread, grow the fúck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rooney,
    Crouch,
    Defoe
    Cole
    Bent

That'd be the 5 I'd bring anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

baz2009 wrote: »
    Mr Alan, would you not concentrate on the problems at your own club rather than talking shíte about a player which you obviously hold a grudge against simply because he moved on to bigger and better things.
    I've lost any bit of respect for your posts after reading your post about Rooney being hugely overrated, in this thread, grow the fúck up.

Real, Newcastle, United reserves??? Bigger and better?
    His best times came as a Liverpool player and he will never reach that level again. To be honest, he isnt even a premiership standard striker anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

baz2009 wrote: »

Bigger & better things.

I'd doubt whether you had a sense of humour if it wasn't for that daft little comment.

The Rooney comment was a joke stemming from someones eagerness to pick up a comment i made as being anti-Utd...i had already said in this thread that Rooney Englands main man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bigger & better things.

I'd doubt whether you had a sense of humour if it wasn't for that daft little comment.

The Rooney comment was a joke stemming from someones eagerness to pick up a comment i made as being anti-Utd...i had already said in this thread that Rooney Englands main man.

Real Madrid-Made a lot of money, played a bit. But it was a great experience all the same I'd say.

Newcastle-Not in a terribly bad position when he joined and he had to start back somehwere in England an they were willing to pay him way over the odds in terms of wages for it and he was 'the man' there when fit.

United-2nd in the league and already has one medal, which can't be far off the amount that Liverpool have won since he left.

Apologies for the Rooney comment.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd say Rooney and Bent would be a good partnership, just a feeling though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd say Rooney and Bent would be a good partnership, just a feeling though...

The problem is more Rooney than anything, for a while there he didn't seem to know whether he was a support striker, lead the line or wing forward and it made him quite unpredictable on the football pitch.

This WC might come to early for him to form a good partnership with someone, but he is really only finding himself now and tbh it's more as a lead the line striker than anything else. In that respects I'd say Heskey or Crouch is a better option, they tend to be better at linking up with players. Someone like Bent or Defoe is probably too used to doing the role Rooney wants to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Are people completely against leaving Rooney out of the squad altogether? IMO he seems to raise more questions than he answers and he leaves his better performances for the guys that pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i presume that's a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Are people completely against leaving Rooney out of the squad altogether? IMO he seems to raise more questions than he answers and he leaves his better performances for the guys that pay his wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

i presume that's a joke?

It's all about balance and he doesn't fit into the system. Brazil's most in form player at club level is being left out in the cold and rightly so because Dunga understands that no single individual talent can win a world cup and made the right decision for the greater good of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

magma69 wrote: »
    In order of preference
    Rooney
    Defoe/Crouch
    Bent
    Agbonlahor or else Cole (depending of form from now until the end of the season)

I don't know what Darren Bent has to do impress Capello (or the public in general for that matter). He has a great scoring record. Especially taking into account the rubbish teams he has been playing for most of his career. He is as good a finisher as Rooney, can challenge in the air, has good strength and movement. Not the paciest but not slow either. I would love if Liverpool signed him.

the funny thing is that if liverpool signed him he would be in the england squad the very next day!! funny how that seems to happen so often. same could be said for carlton cole.

for the record I would bring Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent and Owen if he was available as nobody would be as cool as him one on one with the keeper in the 90th minute of the semi final...But he is unavailable so I would bring only 4 strikers, with Stevie in the team that is more than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

3 obvious choices -

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch

Then Bent because he has always scored regularly and is in great form this season

Might need another option then with someone like Heskey, Cole or Agbonlahor.

There not great options but Heskey can be a real handful and a good support for Rooney.

Zamora wouldn't get on the Irish reserves, he is a very poor player and really inconsistent. I think Cole is pretty awful too, at least Heskey will do the job he is told to do, Cole actually thinks he has skill the poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Rekop dog wrote: »
    It's all about balance and he doesn't fit into the system. Brazil's most in form player at club level is being left out in the cold and rightly so because Dunga understands that no single individual talent can win a world cup and made the right decision for the greater good of the team.

no, ronaldinhio has been dropped as he hasnt performed for brazil in the last while. He has picked up his form a bit this season, but dunga is happy with his squad.

Rooney in undroppable, englands top scorer in qualifiing, their top scorer in Euro 2004, wasnt fit for WC 06 and barely played.

he has 25 goals in 58 games for his country

he has 28 goals in 35 club games this season

and you dont think he should go?

Have you watched a game of football before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rooney
    D. Bent
    Defoe
    Rooney

and

D. Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rooney
    Agbonlahour
    Zamora
    Defoe