Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saddle Sore Remedy?

• 04-03-2010 7:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any advice please?
    No, I'm not putting up a picture of it.
    About the size of the top of a match. Ripe. Sorry if you're having your tea.

Not too much of a problem at the moment as it's been there for a few weeks now. Putting Savlon on it whenever I can.
    Spec. Toupe saddle which I've used for years, could be that I should drop it fractionally to make sure of no friction and sit bones on saddle. did transfer saddle from other bike last year, might not have been measured accurately ie. too high?
    Will try that next spin.

Any Pharmacy rub/ lotion you can recommend?

Just as the season kicks off aswell.............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Vaseline apparently is the best for Saddle soreness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Luckily I haven't had one. But I recommend DZNuts. I just love the tingle on the undercarriage.
    Contains mint and tea tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Planet X wrote: »
    Any advice please?

Not too much of a problem at the moment as it's been there for a few weeks now. Putting Savlon on it whenever I can.
    Spec. Toupe saddle which I've used for years, could be that I should drop it fractionally to make sure of no friction and sit bones on saddle. did transfer saddle from other bike last year, might not have been measured accurately ie. too high?
    Will try that next spin.

Magnesium Sulphate paste. Pick it up at any chemist. Has it come to a head yet ie is it a boil/carbuncle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Any advice please?

Will try that next spin.

This is your only man did some research into this as I got a bout of them last year and this stuff is the dogs as they say available off the shelf in any good chemist its actually an acne cream , its called PanOxyl the important ingredient is Benzoyl Peroxide by the way just incase they have another product with a differant name it must contain the above. .
    I suggest you lash this on liberally 2 or 3 times a day and this is the bit you wont like.... stay off the bike for a day or two.

You can fix up with my receptionist on the way out and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

prevention is the best medecine... get a new saddle
    IT_(South_Park;_The_Entity).jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

sy wrote: »
    Magnesium Sulphate paste. Pick it up at any chemist. Has it come to a head yet ie is it a boil/carbuncle ?

Cheers. Actually used that stuff last year on an abscess. Poltice effect. Has come to a head but quiet small.
    Will get that stuff tomorrow.

Use Assos Chamois Cream all the time, no probs. there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I also use assos chamois cream and won't go back. As far as current sore, I recomend Scholl blister plasters if you need to ride.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Erythromycin 250mg qds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ah, yes, I had something similar last year (before Caroline recommended some excellent cycling underwear - thanks!) Sudocrem is your only man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

That peroxide stuff is pretty darn strong and can dry your skin out a lot, causing other issues, I'd only use it as a last resort (which I did last year).

These days if I feel a tingle down there I use an equivalent of Sudocrem, and lather on extra Assos creme in the affected area. Also give an extra good scrub to the landing gear in the shower after a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Does this mean you ain't racing tomorrow chief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

lukester wrote: »
    Also give an extra good scrub to the landing gear in the shower after a ride.

I used to have problems with saddle sores but by keeping my shorts clean and giving down there a good scrub before and after cycling there no longer a problem.

n-dawg wrote: »
    by keeping my shorts clean

That's kind of a given, no? Should always wash shorts after each ride. It's also recommended not to sit around in them, i.e. get them off as soon as possible after riding.

That's kind of a given, no? Should always wash shorts after each ride. It's also recommended not to sit around in them, i.e. get them off as soon as possible after riding.

Yes, shorts go off and not worn again unless washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

That peroxide stuff is pretty darn strong and can dry your skin out a lot,

Its going on ur ARSE...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yep, but if you're like me, and you want your assos to remain mint your probably aren't washing them at a very high temp or with very harsh detergent.

This mean that bacteria colonies can build up in the fabric over time. I read somewhere that if your having recurrent saddlesore problems it can be best to give your cycling gear a wash in a weak dettol solution (can't remember the concentration - it's written on the bottle. Instructions for how to disinfect baby clothes). The gear will need a good wash afterwards to get rid of the dettol smell but they'll be bacteria free. This would be a once-a-season treatment btw, not a regular thing unless you're really phobic or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Had a problem with saddle soreness when in Spain and a chemist over there recommended 'Halibut Pomada' ointment and it worked almost overnight, brilliant stuff.

Unfortunately I took it into a pharmacy back here who said such a product isn't available in this country. So if you know anyone going to Spain you can get it over the counter without a presciption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    it can be best to give your cycling gear a wash in a weak dettol solution

Milton fluid would probably be less smelly.

milton-complete-protection-sterilising-fluid.jpg

Bikerbhoy wrote:
    Its going on ur ARSE...confused.gif

Do you want a dry scaly arse?
    niceonetom wrote: »
    Yep, but if you're like me, and you want your assos to remain mint your probably aren't washing them at a very high temp or with very harsh detergent.

I do the same, therefore all my gear is washed at low temp, with Woolite (the smell of which now elicits a Pavlovian response of anticipatory glee, a sort of cycling drool ).

I may have to try this Dettol treatment. My Castelli neoprene gloves, while excellent functionally, now reek of dead rodent, and leave their skunk stench on my hands all day after a cycle- utterly impervious to soap.

Lumen wrote: »
    Milton fluid would probably be less smelly.

Some of that dropped on some skirt/leggings thing and left bleach marks. I'd be a bit nervous about using it on cycling gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some of that [Milton] dropped on some skirt/leggings thing and left bleach marks. I'd be a bit nervous about using it on cycling gear.

Doh!

+1 on the woolite and it's aroma.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Does this mean you ain't racing tomorrow chief?

Not at all. Hope to be there, boil n all.
    :D:D

No one has mentioned the possibility of saddle friction which I think might be an angle?
    I do wash the kacks occasionally, after they've been turned inside out a few times.

Not at all. Hope to be there, boil n all.
    :D:D

Cool, see you there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wash my cycling gear on it's own immediately after cycling without detergents to avoid such issues

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The Storm has passed. No issues this morning :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sorry for digging this up, so what did you use in the end up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

I was fittted for a specalized toupe by Victoria Cross Cycles, In Cork.
    The guy working there recomended a toupe 143, It cost me €100
    Now, when I fitted it to my bike, and after riding 50klm.
    I was in so much pain and agony. I started with the saddle perfectly level....pain....tried tilting to down....more pain....sliding it forward on it's rails....even more pain.....So as they say, " that was that":(

These days, I ride a fizik Aliante....A very comfortable saddle....:)
    Although I did try a Fizik Arione, It was a little too narrow for me.
    Given the choice, I would ride a Turbomatic...But it's rails are too short, making it impossible to attain the correct set-back.
    Most road seatpins have a 20-25mm of set-back. I know ritchy, do a seatpost with a whooping 45mm of setback, but it costs around €300:eek:

As the other posts said, use chamois cream on every ride.
    And wash yer shorts, after every ride:)

Happy Cycling:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement