Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New camera

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think you will find that Camera is in New York.

You will be liable to pay VAT & other fees to import that into Ireland, which will probably not make it such a bargain.

***Mod Note*** Before anyone thinks about suggesting any methods of importing items without VAT please read the Charter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Give Ian Kerr a shout. He can give you a really good quote (outside ebay) for a body and lens.

He imports from Canada and all the VAT is paid. There's also a (small) rebate on the xxxD series at the moment and Ian's camera's qualify.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

However, they don't ship to Ireland. Has anyone had this problem and know a way around it?

There is no way around it - they just don't ship to Ireland.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie - always a bargain to be had there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've been searching adverts.ie for a couple of weeks now, and every decent deal I spot is already sold or withdrawn.

Also, I see many cams on there stupidly over-priced for second hand gear. Some sellers don't seem to get the idea that people want a bargain! SO they waste loads of time continually dropping the price to get interest ... just sell for what it's worth, you're not going to get rich off of used gear!

Gone are the days when people sold on for cheap with the added intention of helping out others who wanted to take up a hobby ...

I mean, there's 10 year old models on there going for over half the original price!? Get real lads.

Anyway, my mission is even harder as I'm trying to find someone to trade a dslr they don't want for an xbox 360 plus controllers and games. genuine deal, and I'd pay the difference, but .... I suppose most people have an xbox or ps3 these days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've been searching adverts.ie for a couple of weeks now, and every decent deal I spot is already sold or withdrawn.

That's why they're sold quickly - they're decent deals.
    You have to be quick off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

5uspect wrote: »
    Give Ian Kerr a shout. He can give you a really good quote (outside ebay) for a body and lens.

He imports from Canada and all the VAT is paid. There's also a (small) rebate on the xxxD series at the moment and Ian's camera's qualify.

Thanks guys. Just dropped Ian a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi, I have found Ian Kerr to be good. I have also bought a lot of stuff on ebay. I buy second hand equipment from reputable sellers in the UK only. This has worked out well for me. I bought a lens from Hong Kong once & the lens was fine, but I got whacked with import duty & VAT - so did not repeat.

I suggest you read lens reviews in particular before splashing out - I don't know how good those 2 tamron lenses are , but from my reading of lens reviews Tamron image quality can be a bit patchy. Also - a zoom that goes to 300mm is not as great in real life as it looks on paper - most kit zooms at this level have an aperture of around f/5.6. This means you must use ISO 800 - ISO 1600 , or use a tripod, or both, in order to maintain a shutter speed of 1/500 or quicker - which is necessary for a sharp shot. You may find it worthwhile to get a good zoom in the 17-70mm range at first and maybe a 50mm f/1.8 as well, to get started, then go for a tele later on.

Best of luck with it,
    FoxT

+1 Fred Miranda reviews are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

After hours of research, I think I'm gonna just get the 1000d body, and buy a 50mm f/1.8 II lens separately. I have a bog standard 18-50 sigma at home. I also have a canon 28-105mm lying around. Haven't experimented with it much. Is anyone familiar with this lens? No reviews on dpreview.com.

Anyway. I'm still waiting for Ian to get back to me. Can I do more than just drop a message on his ebay account? Looks like the best offer elsewhere, will cost around 380 sterling (body and 50mm f/1.8 lens). Its a little over budget, but I've only ever owned canon compacts, and loved them. I want my first dsrl to be Canon too.

Thanks again for info and suggestions.
    Much appreciated.

You can email him here:
    2kerso@gmail.com
    That said he can be a bit slow to respond since he is a one man show. Be patient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement