Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad are Ryanair?

• 04-03-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Have people been looking at this site which shows just a small percentage of the stories that reflect just what this company does to it's victims, sorry, clients?
    http://www.ryanaircampaign.org/otherstory.html#200109
    we had an interesting exchange of views on another thread but were deemed off topic, so I would like to start another one here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think of them as Dublin Bus with wings. They are not a full service airline and haven't been since the early 1990s. Don't pay for any of their 'extras' like priority boarding or insurance, just take your cabin bag and don't expect to be served well.

The only Irish airlines that are close to how airlines used to be are CityJet and Aer Arann. And even RE have stopped the free tea and newspaper now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've never really had any problems with Ryanair. They're late night flights are always late departing but other than that ... they've let me see a lot of the UK & Europe and I love them for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ryanair do what they do well. They charge you exactly what they say they will, none of the charges are hidden. They get you where they said they would, if you miss read the airports name it might not be where you thought they were taking you though.

Very good cabin baggage allowance and my only issue with them is that the hold baggage when you do pay for it is just 15kg. That is now actually better though as it is now 15kg per bag rather than the 20kg for multiple bags that you'd get elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Irlandese wrote: »
    Have people been looking at this site which shows just a small percentage of the stories that reflect just what this company does to it's victims, sorry, clients?
    we had an interesting exchange of views on another thread but were deemed off topic, so I would like to start another one here.
    For every one negative story you read on that site there will be thousands of Ryanair customers who have flown with them, had no issues whatsoever and didn't bother to report on it.

Anyone with any sense will make them self aware of what the conditions of booking and travel are and then you'll find there will be little or no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Most people who have problems with Ryanair are the people who were used to being spoon-fed and chaperoned by the likes of BA and old-style Aer Lingus all their lives. If you are capable of being on time at the airport and the gate, they are a very decent airline to fly with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Turn up on time, get on plane, get off plane. Cheaper to go Dublin-London return than here to the Airport return a lot of the time. I have no issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Bluetonic wrote: »
    For every one negative story you read on that site there will be thousands of Ryanair customers who have flown with them, had no issues whatsoever and didn't bother to report on it.

Anyone with any sense will make them self aware of what the conditions of booking and travel are and then you'll find there will be little or no issues.
    Hi People,
    You really should look at the posts on that site. My own aversion to Lying Air dates back to when I was one of 460 people from 4 cancelled Lying Air flights, stranded at Stanstead for over 22 hours on Xmas eve, a few years ago. The flights were cancelled for business reasons although some four hours later there was an accident off the airport and Lying Air tried to use this as their excuse.
    To cut a long, appalling story short, they cancelled the flighhts and no reps made an appearance for hours until two came to offer us half our ticket price back and leave us to our own devices to fly on or home. Remember, we were all in Stanstead, after coming in from another country and going to a third country.
    They offered no food, medical aid or anything, even though we had babies, diabetics, sich elderly and handicapped and some pretty desperate and cash-less people travelling on a budget. We were being ripped off for their convenience and they didn't give a damn.
    But, there was a happy ending ! We revolted, formed a committee and blockaded the desks at the satellite used by Ryan air for all their flights. They threatened to lose our baggage from the carasoul in the main terminal, they called the police, who took our side, they closed all facilities to us and left us there for 22 hours. But, we won.
    In the end, they gave us all flights on Xmas eve, at the expense of scheduled passengers for that day, no doubt, but we got home, by being polite but insisting on not being abused by a shower of cowboys.
    I am reliably informed that this is a regular pattern for this airline, who feature regularly on safety concern lists and near-accident reports of the european aviation safety regulatory bodies. So it is not just the shoddy treatment, you are also at risk with these cowboys. Beware and look them up before entrusting yourselves or loved ones to a dangerous and abusive lack of service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Got flights from Dub to Munich,and Budapest back to Dublin for half the price that Aer Lingus were charging for one of the flights. Its a simple fact that you get what you pay for.

People fly to London for 15 euro and expect royal treatment on the flight. If you want that go and pay over the odds on one of the other airlines.Your FULL price is shown at the end but people seem to be dead set on saying that they weren't told the full cost of the flight before they accepted. Ignorance is bliss i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You don't get to be biggest international airline in the world without doing a lot of things right.

Flown Ryanair loads of times, the last time for €4.01 all in, incl fees and taxes (which they covered). Long may it continue. Well done to Michael O'Leary and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

They do what they do, most of the people who complain have unreasonable expectation as to what level of service to expect in return for the price of the fare they pay.

I have flown with them far more often than any other airline in my life, they have helped my get around Europe and have often been around half the cost of the alternative.

• Advertisement

Why do I get the feeling that some of you are working for a PR company employed by Lying Air ? I read somewhere that they employ people to reply to blogs and phone-ins all the time, to try to offset the truth as recounted by their multitude of victims.
    I have a family member working at Dub Airport and the stories she shares about these cowboys almost matches the real pain and suffering you can read from the mails sent to the site http://www.ryanaircampaign.org/otherstory.html#200109
    They are a heartless bunch of con artists, who are making a fortune screwing unfortunate people in the most cynical ways, every day. But, people are desperate to travel low cost and take the risks. Unfortunately, the risks are real and the service is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why do I get the feeling that some of you are working for a PR company employed by Lying Air ? I read somewhere that they employ people to reply to blogs and phone-ins all the time, to try to offset the truth as recounted by their multitude of victims.
    I have a family member working at Dub Airport and the stories she shares about these cowboys almost matches the real pain and suffering you can read from the mails sent to the site http://www.ryanaircampaign.org/otherstory.html#200109
    They are a heartless bunch of con artists, who are making a fortune screwing unfortunate people in the most cynical ways, every day. But, people are desperate to travel low cost and take the risks. Unfortunately, the risks are real and the service is appalling.

Maybe your tinfoil hat is actually interfering with your capacity to think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I read somewhere that they employ people to reply to blogs and phone-ins all the time, to try to offset the truth as recounted by their multitude of victims.

Really...? :rolleyes:

Please...do go on

Why do I get the feeling that some of you are working for a PR company employed by Lying Air ?

No, thats just the standard reaction of someone so utterly fired up with one viewpoint that they cannot accept that another one could possibly exist.

As far as I'm aware, Ryanair do not have a PR firm and all advertising, etc, is done in-house to cut costs.

I could quote you loads of bad experiences i've had with other airlines but not once have i had a serious problem with ryanair. People just always seem to need something to complain about and nowdays it seems like Ryanair is the easy option. It seems that people forget that our own National airline is ripping us off big time for flights that you can get for a percentage of that price from a private company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i have flown with both ryanair and aer lingus and i can tell you Aer Lingus are way ahead of them. Lying Air are always late, every frigging flight i take with them is delayed. Last November i was on a flight from Dublin to Madrid, we waited an hour to board the plane and then they announced that the gate had changed and so waited another hour for the plane.
    Got on the plane and just when it was about to take off , they announced that there was a fault with the plane so we had to get off and board another one. Eventually 3.5 hours after the scheduled departure time we took off, not once did they apologise for the delay or anything and even though we had waited 2 hours to get on a plane, they went through the usual charade of checking for oversize hand luggage. I was furious, it only served to delay the boarding even more and it was a slap in the face considering that we had already waited 2 hours for the gate to open.
    Return flight was also delayed by 1.5 hours which was no surprise.
    Granted they can be cheaper but the service is appalling. I would rather pay an extra 50 or 75 to fly with Ryanair as you get comfort and timely departures and arrivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've used Ryanair plenty of times and they lost my bags twice, which I got back after about a week. That's the only grief they've given me.
    Oh besides their fecking speaker announcements on highest volume possible.
    It's a bus with wings, and cheap - at the end of the day that's what matters most.

bada_bing wrote: »
    Granted they can be cheaper but the service is appalling. I would rather pay an extra 50 or 75 to fly with Ryanair as you get comfort and timely departures and arrivals.

Not can.....they are always a lot lot cheaper than Aer Lingus and its usually by over a 100 euro from my experience. As its been said again and again you get what you pay for. If you want an apparent risk free and way more expensive option then just fly with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I never had a problem with Ryanair. It's just a cheap bus that goes through the air rather than on roads.

I don't expect anything from them and they don't charge me much money - myself and 000's of other travellers understand this and are happy with the arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

by being polite but insisting on not being abused by a shower of cowboys.
    I am reliably informed that this is a regular pattern for this airline, who feature regularly on safety concern lists and near-accident reports of the european aviation safety regulatory bodies. So it is not just the shoddy treatment, you are also at risk with these cowboys. Beware and look them up before entrusting yourselves or loved ones to a dangerous and abusive lack of service

Really? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    No, thats just the standard reaction of someone so utterly fired up with one viewpoint that they cannot accept that another one could possibly exist.

As far as I'm aware, Ryanair do not have a PR firm and all advertising, etc, is done in-house to cut costs.
    All of us??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Some the stories on that site are utter rubbish. From reading them it seems to me mostly caused by people being generally ignorant to the fact that, yes, you pay extra baggage fees if you go over. yes, you pay extra if you "loose" your boarding pass. Yes you pay "extra" to change your flight, and they dont care if your great aunts sisters' brother's cat died. Ryanair dont do sympathy, they arent interested in sob stories. They are a business and are out to make money in whatever way they can, yes that involves such tough charges.

If you dont like Ryanair then dont fly with them- Nobody asked you to.

This reply ^^ makes no sense in relation to what its quoting.

If you don't like Ryanair, don't use them. Other airlines exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure all airlines mess up every now and again. If Ryainair do screw up some day that I fly with them, I don't see that as a reason to start a campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Like most people are saying, they're cheap and usually on time. If you play by their rules it's grand. I travel to the UK a bit with work. I always go Ryanair beacause they're usually on time.

If you don't like them, don't travel with them. Likewise, I hate Irish rail, I'd sooner drive than get a train anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why do I get the feeling that some of you are working for a PR company employed by Lying Air ?
    Mainly due to the fact that you wanted people to agree with your ill formed opinion, and the truth to you hurts.

You created a thread asking for opinions having already formed yours, thinking people would pat you on the back and agree with you, however you failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've never had an issue with them apart from ones caused by other passengers.
    Always on time, always cheap, does exactly what is says on the tin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've flown on over 150 flights with Ryanair since 1994 i reckon and i've never had any serious horror stories with them. A 3 hour delayed return flight from Stansted on a sunday night is the worst i've encountered. As others have said,you get what you pay for. Ryanair are upfront about their charges,the onus is on the traveller to be aware.

Tbh,if i started "ithinkryanairarelegends.com" i'd probably get as many if not more people professing their love for cheap flights and being able to get away on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Yeah, I'm sure Ryanair's great - as long as you're not going away for more than a couple of nights and don't plan on doing any shopping when you get to your destination. Wonderful for young backpackers and over-nighting businessmen!

Very pleased to hear that Aer Arann are doing flights out of Kerry Airport to the UK again. Don't mind donating to their pension fund, since at least you're treated like a human being - and wheelchair passengers aren't considered the height of inconvenience.

I have only ever flown Ryanair when there is no other option, even if it means driving some distance to another airport to avoid the clutches of the vile Mr O'Leary!! Sorry, but really cheap, cheap fares aren't everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just remembered that the flight I took with them last weekend was actually delayed, that was all due to the French doing what the French do and going on strike so causing delays for all airlines across Europe. I'm sure someone will have been trying to blame it on Ryanair though.

Actually had a bigger issue that day with the short term car park at Bristol airport and them having a number plate recognition system setup to try and enforce their "free parking for 10 minutes, but no return within 15 minute" policy that they have implemented recently. Meant that pretty much every car was getting stopped at the exit gate to the car park and being charged 4 quid rather than the free for 10 minutes, or 2quid if you'd just gone over 10 minutes, then the queue got longer and more people got caught out with the time.

Someone eventually made it through the gate though and a couple of us then just held the barrier up to let all the cars out. Was a fun day actually. :D:D:D

iora_rua wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure Ryanair's great - as long as you're not going away for more than a couple of nights and don't plan on doing any shopping when you get to your destination. Wonderful for young backpackers and over-nighting businessmen!

How has Ryanair got anything to do with you being able to do shopping whilst your away, or have anything to do with the length of your trip?

Admittedly it as a bit awkward when they only had the online check-in available for a couple of days before the flights, but you can now check-in two weeks before hand, so no need to worry about getting access to a PC and printer whilst your away now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I have had problems of delayed flights (Aer Lingus), cancelled flights (Aer Arann), but have never had a problem with Ryanair eventhough I have flown with them a lot more frequently than the other 2 mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've flown with a few airlines. worst were BA. Delayed over 24 hours on the way out and over 36 hour delay on the way back.

My longest delay with FR was bout 3 hours in Girona one Sunday night when the plane needed to be rebooted and didn't power up again. so unload in the dark and wait for another plane so we could go on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Irelandese

I followed your link on the I love Dempsey thread and read a lot of that stuff last night. Lots of it was rubish though there were some bad cases.
    reading your stuff here reveals a narky attitude towards Ryanair.
    Whats the real story with you and them,

I have travelled hundreds of times with Ryanair,got stranded three times ,all for good reasons, fog etc. Yes ,they are hard to get info off, when things go wrong. by the way lots complimented tht site for showing how to get a real person on the line and got results.
    rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Flown with Ryanair about 30 times, only ever had one cropper with them with a 6 hour delay from Gatwick to Dublin. On top of this they had no hot water (Coffee / Tea) when we got going. It certainly didn't put me off flying with them and will use them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Lying Air"? Is that not a bit petty?

Myself, I only travel with them if their prices are exceptionally cheaper than Aer Lingus. I've never had a problem with them per se, but I do find some things irritating. Often, they'll fly to an out of town airport ("Brussels"-Charleroi, "Oslo"-Torp); the transport-cost from there to the city is usually worth the difference in airfares. Another thing would be that the people who fly with Ryanair tend to be pretty pissed-off (probably reeling from a "hidden charge").

My only ever bad experience when flying was a 24-hour delay with Aer Lingus from Germany, due to fog. Communication was poor, but not bad enough to start a website about it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

most of the stories on that website are ridiculous.
    for example
    Recently been skanked by Ryan Air not once but three times on one flight booking and two check ins. On booking a flight to Dublin from Manchester (returned the same day) at a cost of £122.00 on seeing total cost of flight

I inputted my visa debit card number and on proceeding and seeing it being process online. On acceptance I was then told the total was £132.00 and not before (£10.00 for using a visa debit).

On arrival at the airport check in after queuing and a early start I was informed that because I had not checked in online 4 hours before arrival at the airport I would have to pay £10 to get on the flight. I was a little upset but hey - I needed to get to Dublin (I didn't even have hand luggage).

At this time the check in guy did not make me aware that if I didn't check in online for the inbound I would have to pay £10 to get back and as you can imagine being skanked for £30 is a little harsh.

But in the grand scheme of things whilst I was in the queue there were another 5 people having to do the same. Nice work if you can get it eh

Innocent people are being had over - this was a business flight for me and my company will pick up the tab. But the five people in front of me were not travelling alone and some were families of 4 having to pay £40 (£10 each) to get on a flight they had booked and paid for in advance.

What's the logic in having to check in twice - online and then at the airport? I was in Munich airport two weeks earlier where I had printed my ticket off complete with a barcode (Lufthansa). Arrived at the airport - scanned my ticket on a automated machine which proceeded to print my boarding card - this is the future.

Going back to Ryan Air, you can imagine when the trolley dollies came seeking extras on the flight back they met with tightly sealed wallets and purses. I waited till I got back to Manchester airport to by my refreshments!!

1) the debit cardcharge is publicised.
    2) The online check in is warned about via email, on the site etc etc.

zuroph wrote: »
    most of the stories on that website are ridiculous.
    for example

1) the debit cardcharge is publicised.
    2) The online check in is warned about via email, on the site etc etc.

They even send you an email a few days before travel to remind you!!

And i'm sure the guy at the desk didn't inform them that they'd have to pay another tenner on the way home because they're a point to point airline,each flight is treated seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

I'm a pretty flexible traveller, so I don't really care about anything as long as I have a seat and I'm safe; more or less like a bus! But they are pretty budget. But I have noticed that their staff are very rude sometimes! Perhaps the long hours get to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Could only praise them. Flown with them alot times at this stage. Can only think of two longish delays both weather related. Never had any problems. Cheap fares and very decent service.

Just got double the difference back on a flight because Aer Lingus was cheaper then them. Can't go wrong with that either.

actually I've remembered one thing that annoyed me. Bought the Indo on a flight once cos was bored. Charged me €2.25 even though the printed price on the paper was €2.
    I though that wasn't allowed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

That site the OP linked to is hilarious - hundreds of posts by idiots who should not be let near an airport! Just read the first 'incident' - some moron who missed his flight because he's an idiot whinging that they didn't personally call him to the gate, while admitting that an announcement to go to gate was made. **** off.......

Glad you are allowing quotes from the complaints. This one is more indicative of the general approach.
    "FR747 BIQ to STN 09:50 16th Sept 2008.

My wife and I together with about 150+ other people successfully checked-in and passed through security to wait at the boarding gate in Biarritz - an hour passed and the 'Boarding' message changed to 'Delayed' - then 'Cancelled'. A tannoy announcement told us that we should collect our bags and visit the Ryanair desk in the check-in area.

Despite the fact that some flights were actually leaving, we were told that the flight was cancelled due to Adverse weather (in which case Ryanair aren't responsible under EU261 to compensate passengers) and given a slip of paper with an Irish telephone number if we wanted to rebook or get a refund. That phone number didn't connect for me, though another passenger said they did get an answer and it was a recorded message.

That was it - 150+ people dumped, no prospect of another flight anytime soon as Ryanair don't fly everyday and their customer service line wasn't working.

On my eventual return to the UK (Two days later - not via Ryanair!) I phoned for a refund, to be told by the customer service staff that they had no record of that flight being cancelled and could I ring back later..?

I could almost hear that arrogant ****** O'Leary 'You paid **** all for your flight, what do you expect? "

RachPie wrote: »
    I'm a pretty flexible traveller, so I don't really care about anything as long as I have a seat and I'm safe; more or less like a bus! But they are pretty budget. But I have noticed that their staff are very rude sometimes! Perhaps the long hours get to them.
    Just on that issue of safety, Ryan Air are frequently top of the list for condemnation by regulatory bodies and others re their woeful approach to air safety. This is just one of many issues that should scare the hell out of you if safety really is a factor in your wish list:
    "According to allegations from Spanish aviation professionals, Ryanair has been refueling its aircrafts with the minimum amount of kerosene needed.

This does indeed save money but European regulations state that aircrafts must be equipped with more fuel than needed, in case it has to fly 30-45 minutes more in case of unforeseen circumstances and land on another airport. For cost reasons, it seems that Ryanair does not respect this rule.ryanair-frankfurt-airport

According to a report released by Sunday Times in August, Ryanair pilots must abide by a maximum limit of 300kg of extra fuel, which costs £180 (€227). This amount of fuel means 4 minutes of extra flight. Captains have a legal duty to anticipate needs of extra-fuel, in case of heavy wind or storms and request more fuel; the company insists that such situations should be the “exception”.
    http://www.airlinepost.com/airline-news/is-flying-with-ryanair-dangerous.html

According to a report released by Sunday Times in August, Ryanair pilots must abide by a maximum limit of 300kg of extra fuel, which costs £180 (€227). This amount of fuel means 4 minutes of extra flight. Captains have a legal duty to anticipate needs of extra-fuel, in case of heavy wind or storms and request more fuel; the company insists that such situations should be the “exception”.
    http://www.airlinepost.com/airline-news/is-flying-with-ryanair-dangerous.html

That Airlines Post article is dreadful. There's not a hope that they'd only fly with only 4 extra minutes worth of fuel. I've been on numerous flights with them that have had to hold or go around and never once was fuel an issue(hint:i'm still alive!). I have 2 friends in aviation,both have said they've never heard of any safety issues with Ryanair. Most likely it's press and rival airlines leaking this sort of tripe.

Just on that issue of safety, Ryan Air are frequently top of the list for condemnation by regulatory bodies and others re their woeful approach to air safety.

Have they ever crashed - no
    Have they ever killed anyone - no
    Have they ever had a serious air incident - no

Probably the safest airline in the world.

rugbyman wrote: »
    Irelandese

I followed your link on the I love Dempsey thread and read a lot of that stuff last night. Lots of it was rubish though there were some bad cases.
    reading your stuff here reveals a narky attitude towards Ryanair.
    Whats the real story with you and them,

I have travelled hundreds of times with Ryanair,got stranded three times ,all for good reasons, fog etc. Yes ,they are hard to get info off, when things go wrong. by the way lots complimented tht site for showing how to get a real person on the line and got results.
    rugbyman
    Hi Rugbyman,
    My OP really sums it up. As a civil servant I had to use them for europe flights for work, due to regulations re using lowest quoted etc. We all hated them and my ex colleagues still do, but we were generally fit and male and sole travellers so didn't suffer as much as older, infirm or accompanied by children clients, who are who you read about in a lot of the sites like the ryanaircampaign one.
    Re the safety risks, have a decko at this one too, ref given after,:

"Ryanair Statistics from my office
    For those of you interested in Ryanair stats here they are:

Ratio of flights on which Mandatory Occurrence Reports would be filed in the event of Ryanair being a UK registered carrier: 60%
    Flights on which minor deviations were noted: 13%
    Flights on which no significant deviations were noted 27%

Ratio of flights on which Mandatory Occurrence Reports would be filed in relation to BA flights (and related to BA operations): 0% (others are filed in relation to the destination airports etc but not directly related to BA flight crew, cabin crew, the aircraft or the operating procedures)

Flights on which minor deviations were noted 4% (of operating flights, however, my criticisms of the safety cards etc is well known, and has been taken up with BA. However, they are nothing like as bad as the Ryanair ones)
    Ryanair seats and their associated brace position are likely to lead to a high percentage of broken necks in the event of a fast deceleration event. BA does not suffer from this.
    Number of answers from the Irish CAA to emails and letters about Ryanair safety received in the office to date: Nil.
    Perhaps if BA moved to the Irish register, they could cut down on their safety expenditure too?"
    http://gospain.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gospain&cdn=travel&tm=18&f=00&tt=13&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/634073-im-so-ashamed-i-just-booked-my-first-ever-ryanair-flight-10.html%23post6893917

Ha, you scanned the Dempsey stuff? Yup, I sort of felt I should do my bit for balance, but cannot really tell all as we really do sign off on official confidentiality and I agree with the principle. On this one, I think people should be aware of what a load of chancers Lying Air are and what you risk booking them, but admit you have little option if you need to fly to certain places from specific start points at set times. They have a lot of fish in the barrel and they certainly treat them like dirt as a result.
    Have to admit though that I may be outnumbered by Lying air staff here today !! Hi guys, be nice to a passenger today, remember Karma??

Have they ever crashed - no
    Have they ever killed anyone - no
    Have they ever had a serious air incident - no

Probably the safest airline in the world.
    The facts are against you, friend. Here is just one more report that should frighten people:

"Ryanair has denied allegations that pilots are facing so much pressure they are disobeying instructions from air traffic controllers.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary told the BBC his pilots were not overworked and said safety was their top priority.

His comments followed fresh accusations in Wednesday's Times newspaper that a Ryanair pilot was sacked for allegedly refusing to take off when exhausted.
    Michael O'Leary, Ryanair chief executive
    O'Leary said the only priority for his pilots was safety

Earlier, a whistle-blower's safety report published on the internet had claimed pilots were cutting corners in order to save time and avoid delaying flights. "

http://gospain.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gospain&cdn=travel&tm=846&f=00&tt=13&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2053127.stm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement