Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to take photo around Grand Canal Square area??

• 04-03-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi Everyone!

I am a foreigner and new to Dublin. On Monday during lunch time, I went to Grand Canal Square for taking photo of nice scenery there with the birds flying around, Grand Canal theater, and other beautiful landscape there. Everything went well and I got almost 200 photos from there.

Around 2.15pm, the place was becoming empty since most people went back to work. Then, there was a man walking out from nowhere. He came to tell me that "Be careful Miss, you shouldn't take photo in this area." My response was I looked at him in surprise, didn't say a word. Then, he repeated again the same sentence, and walked away. I know It was my fault that I was not brave enough to ask "Why???" since no one around there in 15 m. radius, only me and him.

Therefore, I would like to ask you guys here about what that guy said to me. I really shouldn't take photo around Grand Canal Dock??? I did see some people taking photo there during lunch time with compact cameras. However, I am amateur photographer with 500D (no grip) and 70-200L on as I was taking photo of flying birds.

It would be bad if I can't take photo in that area because I live near there and I think this place is one of the best spot for practicing flying bird photography. I would be very happy if anyone can sort this out for me.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Sorry to hear that Xandra.
    Thats strange but on February 9th. 2010 a group of photographers who are members of this forum were there taking photos at night. We were not approached by anyone telling us not to take photos.
    I know that across the river Liffey at the IFSC area there is a ban on photography.
    4343404486_5bd20f655d_m.jpg

more here http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22grand%20canal%20theatre%22&w=all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've had it happen. Unless they pull out credentials I give them lusty stares, seductive smiles and then keep photographing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fenster let's see a seductive smile pic of you....just to see. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I was there last weekend and a security guard was walking around, he didn't say anything to me or any of the other photographers around, he didn't say anything to the 2 guys doing stunts on mountain bikes, and he didn't say anything to the 3 guys who lifted a pillar out of the ground and drove a range rover up on to the footpath to take pictures of it....I think you'll be ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Xandra.
    Thats strange but on February 9th. 2010 a group of photographers who are members of this forum were there taking photos at night. We were not approached by anyone telling us not to take photos.
    I know that across the river Liffey at the IFSC area there is a ban on photography.

more here http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22grand%20canal%20theatre%22&w=all

Well we were approached by a few kids asking to be in the "movie" we were making :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Fenster let's see a seductive smile pic of you....just to see. :pac:

That might quite possibly break the internet. Picture bigfoot. Now make him sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it is absolutely possible. If someone challenges you, just politely assert your right to be there. Most(all?) of the security guards down there are attached to specific buildings (and they are mostly dead on) and the area itself is a public space

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Hey Xandra... welcome to Dublin.

On the muppet (the guy).... I was on the walk with Swingking and PixbyJohn and would have to say :- There is no issue with taking photos around the GrandCanalSquare area BUT I would watch out for the kids - like Swingking says who "want to be in a movie" they may like to take your camera aswell.

So it might not be safe to walk around there with good equipment. BUT there is no law/rule stopping you from photographing around the Grand Canal Square.

Seen as you work around the docks please note that the IFSC is private land and the security there can throw you out.... same with Trinity College (inside the walls), but Grand Canal Square is public land.

Last but not least.... if you need a buddy to join you (anytime) send me a PM and I will send you my number - 30mins walk from the docks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've been there 3 times with my camera, and have never had a problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if its private property. he could be right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

Thank you everyone for your kind response and thanks pixbyjohn for photos that inspire me much to back there again soon!

The man that approached me was in his 30's, slim, medium height, wearing green pullover and jeans. Without any uniform or name tag that could make me believe that he is authority security guard or something. When he approached me, I was 10 metres away from Pearse Street, near the bridge. I didn't go near river Liffey on that day, only staying in the square trying to catch photo of birds.

I did see 2 lads playing with bicycles in front of theater, but they didn't seem to care about me or my gears.

As SinisterDexter mentioned, I am more afraid about someone would take my camera. As that man approached me, the first thing in my mind is that he might want to ask for money or do something bad to me. Then, when he talked to me, I noticed that he was in normal dress, and looked clean at least.

Now I am not wonder anymore if I can take photo there or not. I will go there anyway unless someone show me something to believe that I really can't. However, I will avoid off-peak time. I prefer more the lunch time that is full of people working in the office near there. Or else, I will not go there alone, especially in the night.

Thank you also for the warning about IFSC. I would not be happy to be thrown out by security guards. So far so good, in Trinity College, is it prohibited to take photo there too, or just that it is private place and they can throw me out if they want?? I am 24 yrs old. I don't have external flash or tripod. Can this make they think that I am only a student who likes photograph?? I am planning to go to St.Stepheen Green and Trinity College next week, so I can be more prepared about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have been there and taken pictures on a number of occasions.

D40A01E6DA834E95B037E1FF7C6BB29B-800.jpg

Never been approached and told I shouldn't take photos. There were a couple of construction workers who approached me, I was a bit concerned at first, but it turned out they just wanted their picture taken with the new concert hall behind them.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The security in TCD will only get suspicious and lippy if they see you setting up a tripod. I spoke to them and they said I can take photos as long as I'm not using a tripod.

In fairness though it's a Tourist attraction and plenty of tourists have taken shots there.

PM me when you're going there and I'll come join you. It'll get me out of the library anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

In Trinity College, is it prohibited to take photo there too, or just that it is private place and they can throw me out if they want?? I am 24 yrs old. I don't have external flash or tripod. Can this make they think that I am only a student who likes photograph??

I think they are more of a pain if you are in a group - I have gotten some nice ones inside the walls (with my tri-pod and long lenses). Yes they can throw you out - it is private property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Hi Xandra,

The Whole Grand Canal Dock area (i.e. Here) is private property. It is heavily covered with CCTV cameras and security.

Security will come out a lot of the time and tell you that you cant photograph the area, buildings or anything else around there as its private property. However, they are wrong.
    I used to supervise security out there a long long time ago. At the time things were as follows (And I was reliably informed recently that this has not changed).

The Paths you walk on that follow the main roads and the main walk ways are actually public property. While the roads and other smaller paths leading from building to building may be private the main areas are public property.
    As long as you are on a main path and what you are photographing can be seen from there you are perfectly and legally entitled to take as many photographs as you like. If they don't like it tell them to call the Garda.

I actually did a photoshoot there recently and was not bothered and funny enough I was out there for around 4 hrs.
    However I have been out there before that and stopped by security. After explaining it to him a few times (well more like over and over and then telling him to basically piss off) he gave up.

I am sorry that you were hassled as that should not have happened. Its not the norm for people in Ireland to react like that but Security in the IFSC are more paranoid than other places as it is the one place that someone would attack if someone could actually be bothered to attack Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ah, is it the fear of attack that prevents them from letting people photographing in public? Seems ridiculous tbh. The world is gone terrorist mad.

I had a few encounters with the cops in Vancouver over the past few weeks about taking photographs - all of which were taken on public property. Actually one cop told me that my actions (pointing my camera at a guy who had drunkenly climbed a lamppost) was illegal and if I didn't stop he would "take action". Given the fact that there were scores of other people around taking pictures and a rather large crowd I politely declined his request and continued photographing - trying harder to get him in most shots :)

Anyway, I think most cops/security folks like to assert their power over people. In my opinion there's always strength in numbers so if you are going somewhere that you might run into trouble - either from security or the local youths then bring a friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

given what was said to you is it not possible he was concerned you might have your camera robbed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

Thank you very much!
    I've just noticed about "Thanks" function in the forum. I want to thank many people, but I can't sort out how to use it :confused:.

swingking, I haven't planned yet when to go to Trinity College. Have to see the weather.

Dara Robinson, your answer is very clear, but I can't recognize well the city plan you show. However, I think it means I can take photo near the canal and not go too much deep in the building area. Refer Slidinginfinity's photo, I can take photo from the spot that he took this pic and walking until the bridge in the pic?? The red things and the theater are also public???

Now I am thinking that when the man approached me, it is workday and in office hour (2.15pm). It might have been that his boss told him to do so. In the evening and on the weekend, I think not many people watching the security cam in the office, so many guys here have not been approached by security guard before.

Beano, I've had that idea too. After that man has gone, the idea that flashed into my mind is that he must have been some security guard, or he (or his friend) had been robbed there before.

Advertisement