Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet or UPC

• 04-03-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Having never been with either, my vote is with UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I'm with UPC 30mb, havent had any trouble with them at all.

Great speed all the time(lowest is around 3mb/s) 50 euro a month(dont have tv off them so they ad an 8euro charge).

They will be updating the speeds again in august. Definetly worth getting them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

I had NTL when I lived in Dublin city centre and it was fantastic, no complaints at all. Now I'm just after switching over from BT/Vodafone to them in a new flat and it's a nightmare. See here and here for current grievances.

EDIT Just got disconnected posting this message -- typical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Having been a customer with both, I'd say 100% go with UPC over Magnet. Magnet is far too expensive for what they offer and you won't get the speeds advertised if you are 3km or more from the exchange despite what their sales team will tell you. At least their tech support are semi honest.

I was told numerous times when I asked would I get close to the 10meg speed I was signing up for and I was told over and over that the lowest I could expect was 8meg. I went ahead and the max I could get in reality was 3meg at best. That and the fact it drops all the time. I had to keep ringing them up. Their excuse was that they had to reconfigure my line. Yeah really, you have to do that about 3 times a month. That and the fact their tech support only operate for 9-5 mean you have to miss work to get any issue sorted.

UPC on the other hand, pay for 10meg, I'm getting 10meg. Lowest speed recorded of 9.2Mb/s during peak hours. I have been upgraded for free to 15Mb/s and I'm receiving 14.56Mb/s, and all for a third of what Magnet were charging me for the same thing. Plus it's solid, no packet loss, very low pings. Ping with Magnet was 90odd, its 12ms with UPC, fantastic. Plus if you have any issues their tech support hours are better and you can even ring on weekends.

No, I don't work for UPC. It's just 2 years of being messed around by Eircom, 1 year being messed about with Magnet have led me to UPC which are giving me what I'm paying for for the past 6 months, problem free and costing less than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Depends. Magnet will max out your line for you. So if your phone line is good you will get great speeds, if not you will be paying ths same anyway.

I would call magnet and ask them to check your line to see what is the best upload/download to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I would call magnet and ask them to check your line to see what is the best upload/download to expect.

I did that and was lied to over and over just to get a sale. It was only after I connected with them that could tell me what I could actually get. Plus once you change over you can't get your line back. My line is gone now. My old phone number gone, I have to ask Eircom to reconnect with a whole new line if I ever want a standard line again thanks to Magnet.

They are a minefield of a company for ADSL service. Think long and hard before ever considering them unless you're getting an FTTH installation, then fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Just changed over to UPC 15mbps from Eircom , one word, unreal , very happy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

UPC, no question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Had Magnet for a few years,8 meg package,it was all they would guranntee me,often got up to 14 meg,no problems ever...until I decided to change providers in January.
    Then I find out I cannot take my phone number with me to UPC and only last Friday,they tell me this.Anyway have UPC since early January and it will be early march before I can finish up with Magnet.Such a terrible end to what was a good relationship of nearly four years:cool:

The reason I picked UPC was for the cheaper price and having one bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

UPC. Have tv for years and broadband for a month. Excellent speeds and further upgrades coming this year and next. And despite what others say, I have always got excellent customer service from them. I had some problems getting the broadband in and their response times and communications to me were fantastic. I could not fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Iolar wrote: »
    Jus a lil question do you pay for the installation while the guy is doing it at your house or do they bill you for it via dd?

Never paid for any installion,with either company and with UPC,they had to call three times,to put in new cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mtsachev

I signed up with UPC on 24 Feb. So far I've had 6 broadband outages, last 4 this week. TV is fine. Most outages are about 1h but I've had up to 2.5h.

Best to check for your area specifically as it varies, you might have no issues at all.

Their latest wireless routers - Cisco EP2425 suck, if you use it wired it's OK but not over wireless.

PS. Their support sucks too, support hours are very good though.

Advertisement