Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Xluna wrote: »
    It's nagaffs.*

Not as good as final fantasy seven.

Gotta say I never played 7 for more then 10 mins just got really bored of it although I did play number 8 before it and expected the graphics to be on par with it.
    I'm definately gonna have to pick this up soon and see what its all about because from looking at the trailers it looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ok guys can someone advise? should i buy this game and is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Buy it if you can sludge yer way through 20 15-20 hours of boredom. I love FF series but this game is even testing me Am on the third disk just leaving
    the ark to get Bahamut
    and have yet to have the chance at one side quest or optional mission.

Gotta say it's very meh so far which I expected from reviews. The next 20 better amaze me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

The game came out yesturday and you are on the third disk? I you dont love it? Why did you play it all day and night?

Personally its ok the only thing is I have no reason to do battle since you dont get exp points? am only 2 hours into the game!

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    The game came out yesturday and you are on the third disk? I you dont love it? Why did you play it all day and night?
    I got my hands on it monday. I don't have to love a game to finish it. Just hit Gran pulse. Can safely say the game is picking up. Adamanoise, I will have you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'm only a couple of hours in and I'm really enjoying it. So I can't wait for when it supposedly picks up!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Going to get this Friday once I get payed, can't wait - the boozing can wait until Sunday. Theres 3 discs in it??

Yup it's quite a big game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭kdave

The linearity of many games on the current generation consoles is such a dissappointing element in this current generation of gaming .It seams that games companies are buying into the new crop of the post FPS, Gears of War gaming community.
    Games such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5 and now Final Fantasy 13(all watered down games in relation to their predecessors) are just three examples of how previously great series have been affected by the current trend in the gaming industury where abominations like call of duty and gears of war can succeed over other more creative well structured games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

kdave wrote: »
    The linearity of many games on the current generation consoles is such a dissappointing element in this current generation of gaming .It seams that games companies are buying into the new crop of the post FPS, Gears of War gaming community.
    Games such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5 and now Final Fantasy 13(all watered down games in relation to their predecessors) are just three examples of how previously great series have been affected by the current trend in the gaming industury where abominations like call of duty and gears of war can succeed over other more creative well structured games

what a load of bollox....ppl play these games because they're fun.. and more importantly... because they're awesome when playing with friends ! hardly "abominations".

There are also an insane amount of non-linear styled games about (GTA,Fallout,dragonage,masseffect etc) and a bunch on the way(Red dead, alan wake,justcause,mafiaII etc)

p.s MGS4 was exactly what it needed to be, im sure any fan will agree that it finished off the story amazingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Magill wrote: »
    There are also an insane amount of non-linear styled games about (GTA,Fallout,dragonage,masseffect etc)

Fallout 3, watered down over the older games.
    Mass Effect 2 was designed to appeal to Gear of War players rather than expand on what Mass Effect 1 created.

Look back at the older games from the mid '90s and compare to now. Games are getting more basic gameplay wise but they look alot better. If they expanded properly on the older games the quality should be far better today. Today its just, make a game look pretty, make so anyone can pick it up and finish it in 8hrs without having to even read the manual.

Games that have been ruined and watered down in this generation.

Deus Ex
    Rainbow Six
    Ghost Recon
    System Shock 1&2
    Operation Flashpoint
    Far Cry
    Fallout
    Mass Effect
    Command & Conquer

...thats off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I haven't played FFXIII yet, in what way is it watered down?

As for the linearity comment, that has been around in most FPS games since the very birth of them. It's a core game mechanic, the only difference between titles is how well they cover it up. To make an FPS non-linear is to detract from the gameplay, unless you can hide it behind a fluffy RPG curtain like Borderlands did. As for RPGs, I'm actually glad of the switch to more linear, action-oriented mechanics. The traditional JRPG format has been stagnant for a long time, any attempts at reinventing the genre should be met with open arms tbh.

@Captain Chaos: Mass Effect was trimmed down because the original one just didn't work. It was a mongrel child of rpg and fps, nothing in it gelled together. The customisation in the first was superfluous and nothing more than dressing. An obvious design decision was to cut the fat and enhance the formula with gameplay that has already been proven to work.

'Hardcore' gamers, you're being ignored because the money isn't to be made from you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think you should take off the rose tinted glasses. Lets look at your list:

Deus Ex B]Deus Ex 2 came out in the last generation[/B
    Rainbow Six B]The vegas titles while being less sim like are still fun[/B
    Ghost Recon B]The original ghost recon games on the PC werent that great, trust me go back and play them again.[/B
    System Shock 1&2 B]Their hasnt been a sequel in this or the last gen[/B
    Operation Flashpoint B]Ok OP flash 2 is a disgrace[/B
    Far Cry B]Farcry 2 is far better than the first game which was just a tech demo, open enviroments, proper weapons modelling[/B
    Fallout B]Fallout 3 is an excellent game, still not as good as 2 but i wouldnt say its watered down[/B
    Mass Effect B]Mass effect came out in this generation so it shouldnt be in this list [/B
    Command & Conquer B] the new C&C games are much better than the originals which were just build as many units and assault the base[/B

As for being able to finish games quickly much more easier again thats untrue. I just recently finished journeyman project in under 30 minutes and I am nearly through Full throttle in just under 3 hours. I think you are just being nostalgic, there were just as many crappy games back in the day as there are now.

^ Couldnt agree more.

Nostalgia is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

LIGHTNING wrote: »

Either way all these are watered down. Rose tinted nothing.

Deux Ex 1-2 is like what happened Mas Effect 1-2. 3 will be watered down too.

The Rainbow Six games are gone to the dogs. I still have the first 3 on the PC. This auto re gen heath, 3 man teams instead of 8. No more mission planning. Using LMGs in CQB situations. Pure tosh.

Ghost Recon, same as Rainbow Six.

The Bio Shock games are a follow on to the System Shock games in spirit. I still have SS 1 and 2, not a patch on the Bio's.

Far Cry 2 is a mess, 1 was better in every way except graphics. Far Cry 2 is a graphics tech demo in itself.

Fallout 3 is the Elder Scrolls RPG dressed up to look like Fallout. Good game yes, but lazy. Could have done alot more with it.

The Command and Conquer games were going somewhere with Tiberium Sun on the PC but got stuck in a rut. WestWood went bust and EA stepped in to keep the masses happy not the fans. Stripped away more advanced command options so they can port over to consoles.

So, I'm sorry no rose tinted here. I still have all these oldies on my 10 year old PC, games these days are designed to cater for the lowest common denominator. At one time it was about the hard core gamers but not anymore.

I still play the stuff coming out today and hope it will go back to when game developers didn't care so much about the graphics and lightning effects and got back to actual substance, gameplay mechanics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Look I think your mixing up watered down, with refinded controls.

Dues Ex 1 of the best games of all time, aged horribly, ask people who can't complete it because of game breaking bugs just how much they enjoyed it.

Rainbow 6? Rainbow 6 in reality was never that ****ing good, Raven Shield was ok if I remember correctly but that's all just ok.

Ghost Recon - convoluted bull****e the whole series was - at least the new ones were borderline fun, as I say though borderline.

System Shock 1&2 - Spiritual succesor? We know that they're flimsily related, and even so both Bioshocks are very good games, they can be pretty difficult, if you play at the harder modes, but they weren't devised to make people freak out over difficulty they were made to tell a brilliant story, through enjoyable gameplay, great visuals, characters, mood and setting. Which they did. Fan-****ing-tastic.

Operation Flashpoint - I'll give you that.

Far Cry - 2nd one is about 5000 miles better and bigger than the original. The first one was a buggy heap of ****e, It looked good, that's all, nothing else, stupid story, stupid AI, Stupid everything.

Fallout - We can argue which ones are better but to dismiss fallout 3 in such an off the cuff manor is stange - you whine on about games these days being 8 hours long - when this game is an absolute bohemoth, you can sink a life time into this.

Mass Effect - Right wtf? BOTH GAMES WERE THIS GENERATION. I loved both of these games and the 1st one is the better, barely, but only based on story, The characters work fantastically in both, the gunplay is better in the 2nd, and it looks marginally better, they are much of a muchness, watered down? never.

Command & Conquer - Yea I don't care for the new ones really at all - I haven't cared since Generals, but you seem to be including that in your little tirade so I might as well call you on that too - fantastic multiplayer, supremely balanced, an absolute bucket of fun to play - and of course with multiplayer it's as hard as your competition so if you can play people good enough you'll find all the difficulty you need.

Is this still the final fantasy thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Friend got FFXIII. Couldn't stand it so I gave him Mass Effect 2 for it! Nice! Had a massive playthrough on Mass Effect 2, so just had to do it on Insanity, which I will do later on. Only played the first little tutorial. Seems interesting so far but I'm literally 10 minutes in so we shall see.

chrislad wrote: »
    Friend got FFXIII. Couldn't stand it so I gave him Mass Effect 2 for it! Nice! Had a massive playthrough on Mass Effect 2, so just had to do it on Insanity, which I will do later on. Only played the first little tutorial. Seems interesting so far but I'm literally 10 minutes in so we shall see.

The game is actually good but the tutorial last for 3 hours :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I agree with this,though I can't see the link to call of duty and gow(Japanese gamers practically never play fps games). I'm relieved that at least Street Fighter IV remained true to old school values. Games are more popular now so companies want to target mainstream/casual gamers. So to make maximum profits they will alter their franchises to appeal to the mainstream. O.K. if you like a more pretty albeit shallow experiance but not my tastes tbh.

• Advertisement

The game is actually good but the tutorial last for 3 hours :P

Let me get something straight.

We have the fal'Cli (both Cocoon and Pulse) and the i'Cli who are humans who have been touched by them and can use magic?

Pulse is the world
    Fal'Cie constructed a paradise for humanity called (Cacoon - a shell like city floating on top of pulse)
    L'Cie are peoplewho are marked by the Fal'Cie they have majic and can summon eidolons.

War broke out between the Pulse Fal'Cie and the Cacoon Fal'Cie.

I can give you more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

how might one pronounce l'cie and fal'cie? Why couldnt Square just come up with a simple name like marclar or somethin?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    how might one pronounce l'cie and fal'cie? Why couldnt Square just come up with a simple name like marclar or somethin?

I reckon the cie is pronounced see. but I don't really know, played an hour and ten mins last night, I've been staunchly opposed to FF for most of my life thought they were a heap of ****e, hopefully i'm going to enjoy this and maybe be a bit of convert.

Pulse is the world
    Fal'Cie constructed a paradise for humanity called (Cacoon - a shell like city floating on top of pulse)
    L'Cie are peoplewho are marked by the Fal'Cie they have majic and can summon eidolons.

War broke out between the Pulse Fal'Cie and the Cacoon Fal'Cie.

I can give you more info :)

That's grand. Just getting a bit muddled with it. So we basically have good and bad Fal'Cie and the people who are marked by them. I'm good now. :)

2 hours into the tutorial now! Enjoying it.

On disc 2 already after 5 hours!!! The whole disc 1 is like a massive tutorial!

I officially can't stand Vanille.

I don't see the hate for her, She's epic in my party!

whats wrong with Vanille? How far are you in the game? Vanille and Sazh are brilliant they seem real but Hope is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sazh is the only character that seems "real" to me, Vanille is extremely annoying, every time she talks and that ridiculous squeaky Australian accent comes out I want to turn the game off

Advertisement