Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinds and Training Fees

• 04-03-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Just wondering (I'm fairly sure the answer is no) whether anyone knows if the fees paid for leaving cert grinds from the Institute of Education, Leeson Street are allowable against tax like the college tuition fees? They were fairly expensive!

Also whether training costs from a private training course are also eligible - I took a counselling course in Gestalt Therapy.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

You're just gonna have to sift through the info (and there's alot of it), scroll half way through the page and you'll be given links to qualifying course/college list.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html#section3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Leeson street won't qualify.

A councelling course won't qualify either.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

Leeson street won't qualify.

A councelling course won't qualify either.

Thanks Mr I, thought so ...just wanted to be sure. It's expensive enough trying to educate yourself and children for the future, I suppose I was thinking the government might encourage such things - pure naivete eh?

Well they do. Why should the subsidise you to send your kids to a PRIVATE college.

Well they do. Why should the subsidise you to send your kids to a PRIVATE college.

In reply to your comment:

I don't think they should subsidise me to send my kids to private college, I think they should subsidise everyone to do so!

It's that type of begrudgering, short-sightedness that is holding back our society and economy. How are we supposed to make it to the panacea of a knowledge eonomy by scrimping on education. I have worked very hard and my kids have part time jobs to pay for grinds.

Do you really believe my kids want to take extra grinds and spend all their time studying - give me a break Mr I !!!!!

They do so because of the cynnical, jaded teachers who do a minimilistic, 'just get to my pension' job in our schools few of whom (but not all, I freely admit) take a genuine stakeholding in our childrens education.

The kids that have the ability to get a university place can't rely on said teachers because they don't often deliver the results to get them there. This is, of course, exacerbated by insufficient numbers of places for key courses.

What about the desire to help our children reach their dreams and potential, instead of working a lifetime in a dead end, dull & unfulfilling career- this is not necessary in this day and age. I truly hope you are happy in your chosen vocation.

Please don't be judgemental because I expect the government to encourage all types of education via tax breaks. Education is the way forward to the future, not tax breaks for stallion fees, property developers and their self serving ilk.

Enlightenment can overcome myopia, my friend. Just the thoughts of another low income family trying to survive and thrive in the next generation.

• Advertisement

I hear you, but centalised government has to allocate resources on an unbiased basis.

I have a child myself and send him to a semi private school. I don't expect the government to pay for this. This is my choice.

Tax breaks are there for all at third level. Third level education is free. That's fair enough. If you want to send your kids to private institutions then that is your choice and you should be prepared to shoulder the cost.

My mother incidently is a teacher and loves her job. If you drill down into the statistics there is actually very little difference nationally between fee and non fee paying schools. There are centers of poor performance an centers of excellence in public schools but overall they do a good job imo.

Your children have to study to better themselves. Good for them, so did I and so will my son when he reaches leaving cert age. It is not the governments responsibility to watch over your child. It is yours and the sense of personal responsibility you instill in them.

Tax breaks do not exist for private schools. I don't think they should. That's just my opinion. Private school is a choice. If you choose it be prepared to pay. If you can't afford it don't send them to private school. The buck has to stop somewhere.

A government that would offer tax incentives to the rich to send their kids to private school on one hand and then fund public schools out of the state coffers is a government which would support a two tiered society and not one I would vote for.

With all due respect Mr I:

"I hear you, but centalised government has to allocate resources on an unbiased basis. "

Well that would be a first wouldn't it, again what's the point of stallion fees allowances, sportspersons grants and developer tax breaks - how universal or unbiased is that ???????

"I have a child myself and send him to a semi private school. I don't expect the government to pay for this. This is my choice."

I don't disagree that it's your choice but my point was that a tax break/allowance would enable everyone to avail of private/semi-private education. Now that's unbiased and good for society.

"Tax breaks are there for all at third level. Third level education is free. That's fair enough. If you want to send your kids to private institutions then that is your choice and you should be prepared to shoulder the cost."

"My mother incidently is a teacher and loves her job. If you drill down into the statistics there is actually very little difference nationally between fee and non fee paying schools. There are centers of poor performance an centers of excellence in public schools but overall they do a good job imo."

They do an adequate job, however students with the ability to progress in key subjects find that the standard public education won't get them into their course of choice, so they are forced to seek grinds. I'd be all for a system where it was equal and based upon ability.

"Your children have to study to better themselves. Good for them, so did I and so will my son when he reaches leaving cert age. It is not the governments responsibility to watch over your child. It is yours and the sense of personal responsibility you instill in them."

Agreed, they have that sense instilled in them but they are forced to use whatever means are available to help them pursue a fulfilling career.

Tax breaks do not exist for private schools. I don't think they should. That's just my opinion. Private school is a choice. If you choose it be prepared to pay. If you can't afford it don't send them to private school. The buck has to stop somewhere.

"A government that would offer tax incentives to the rich to send their kids to private school on one hand and then fund public schools out of the state coffers is a government which would support a two tiered society and not one I would vote for.[/QUOTE]"

Again I think you missed my point, I am far from rich and would be happy for anyone to attend private school, entry should be based upon desire and ability. A tax break is only a modest bit of assistance at 20%, nothing like the cost of completely free college education which by the way isn't taken up by all leaving cert graduates.
    Cheers Sam.

Stallion fee tax breaks are gone. Section 23 reliefs have been phased out and the way property is right now they're not existent. Sports persons have a grant because they retire circa 30/35 and that's the end of their career. Artists relief is capped and the good days my friend are well and truly gone.

I don't believe universal semi or private schools are for the betterment of society. It creates a two tiered society where the rich get a better education and the poor get left behind. It's an unequal distribution of resources.

Re your point about people not going to college you have answered your own question. Entry is based on desire and ability. I found my way into college fine without grinds and through the public system and I'm sure a lot of other persons around here did too. Private education is not a right. It is a privilege that one pays dearly for. Education however is a right. The government allocates it's resources into providing for that. For every penny given to private schools in tax breaks it's money that could be spent on public schools so with respect I don't see where you are coming from, and neither does the government.

You say you want everyone to attend private school? That would bankrupt the government.

And what's the point? There are better ways to improve the public school system.

Advertisement